General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

TV Show: Moonshiners...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 PM
OrangeJuice
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TV Show: Moonshiners...

How many of you watch the TV show on the Discovery Channel called Moonshiners? I've been watching it and like the show, but have a few questions as to being on TV. I'm talking about actually being on TV showing that you're a moonshiner. I mean these guy's go to great lenghts to cover-up their operation, then to go on TV and show your face as to what you do and who you are in a since kinda defeats the purpose. I mean, I would say if you're going to go that far with your operation, why would you add the risk of being on TV to show what you do and how you do it. Then you add the fact that you have the ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) agents running around trying to catch Tim in the process of making moonshine doesn't sit well with him.

Now onto the last show, it was revealed that legendary moonshiner Popcorn Sutton was caught in his operation and took his own life on March 16th 2009 and was found in his Ford after being sentenced to 18 months of prison. The cause of death: Carbon Monixide poisioning. Just like he stated on the show many times: "Once I'm gone, all the damn liquor is gone too...that's the life of a moonshiner".

OJ

Old 01-09-2012, 12:58 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Seems strange, but I heard a story that makes it seem like catching them is kind of a game.

I knew a fellow from Tennessee pretty well when I was in the service, and he knew a few moonshiners. Apparently the feds hassled them a bit, but they kept working.

However, one time somebody killed an agent -- not in the script. They swooped in and nailed every still in the area. They knew where they were all the time. Apparently the idea was just to keep them somewhat in check, but killing a fed was not to be tolerated.

Guy seemed to be telling the truth.

hj

Old 01-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
If you watch on that show, the one shiner is head of the fire department.

.... WTF!

It seems like an elaborate scripted show honestly.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just like all the other "reality" tv shows...

Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
If you watch on that show, the one shiner is head of the fire department.

.... WTF!

It seems like an elaborate scripted show honestly.
I said the same thing when I saw that he was the Chief of the Volunteer fire department..

Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 AM
donjamer
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice
How many of you watch the TV show on the Discovery Channel called Moonshiners? I've been watching it and like the show, but have a few questions as to being on TV. I'm talking about actually being on TV showing that you're a moonshiner. I mean these guy's go to great lenghts to cover-up their operation, then to go on TV and show your face as to what you do and who you are in a since kinda defeats the purpose. I mean, I would say if you're going to go that far with your operation, why would you add the risk of being on TV to show what you do and how you do it. Then you add the fact that you have the ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) agents running around trying to catch Tim in the process of making moonshine doesn't sit well with him.

Now onto the last show, it was revealed that legendary moonshiner Popcorn Sutton was caught in his operation and took his own life on March 16th 2009 and was found in his Ford after being sentenced to 18 months of prison. The cause of death: Carbon Monixide poisioning. Just like he stated on the show many times: "Once I'm gone, all the damn liquor is gone too...that's the life of a moonshiner".

OJ

I know I wouldn't want to be on TV if I was doing something illegal..

I would think they could haul his **** into court and just play the tape..
What defense would he have??

Too bad about Popcorn Sutton.. I see his family is continuing to make his moonshine Legally now along with Hank Williams Jr.. I was reading that it is for sale only in TN and KY..

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Some years ago, one of my best friends went to Pineville, Ky for a family Thanksgiving celebration, and the local supplier for moonshine was the Sheriff.

I have bought moonshine before. And it has been my experience that it's either really good, or really bad.

I also agree that while I enjoy the show too, there's no way that I would want to have my illegal operation being filmed. What keeps Tim out of jail? His entire operation is on TV for the world to view.

I believe the legality problem is the avoidance of the taxes. If you want to give it away, would it be legal?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
donjamer
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn

I believe the legality problem is the avoidance of the taxes. If you want to give it away, would it be legal?
I don't think it would be legal cause the government puts a limit on the amount you can make.. It would be legal if you were making say no more than 10 gallons for personal use, but when your making 500 gallons it obviously isn't for personal use..LOL

Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by donjamer
I don't think it would be legal cause the government puts a limit on the amount you can make.. It would be legal if you were making say no more than 10 gallons for personal use, but when your making 500 gallons it obviously isn't for personal use..LOL
True. But, what I'm saying is, if it was given away to people, and no money changed hands from the maker to the customer, would it be legal?

If I work on a guys truck and charge him 500 dollars and he pays me cash, and I don't report it to the IRS, and they find out about it, I'm in trouble. If I do the same job as a favor, no problem with the IRS. Would the same apply to moonshine. I know people that make wine and sell it. There is no tax paid on it. They are breaking the tax laws, both the alcohol tax law, and the income tax law. Back when we made wine, we always made it in 50 gallon batches. I was a kid back then, so I don't know if Grandpa sold any of it or not. He made a 50 gallon batch every year. And I loved it!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:55 AM
donjamer
I don't know the answer to that question..

It makes sense that it would be legal, but the government doesn't work on logic..LOL

By the looks of things it costs quite a bit to produce in large batches so giving it away is probably not feasible

Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by donjamer
I don't know the answer to that question..

It makes sense that it would be legal, but the government doesn't work on logic..LOL

By the looks of things it costs quite a bit to produce in large batches so giving it away is probably not feasible
True. It certainly would not be practical, or financially a smart thing to do. But would it be legal? Like you, I don't know.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It is legal. All it takes is filling out the Gov forms and waiting (about 1 month) and you get a license to make it. As long as you make less than 10,000 gallons/year, no Bond is required. I have a license and make ethanol for my biodiesel operation. More info here: Is it legal?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 AM
CapeF250
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watch the show for entertainment.Probably the way they make the moonshine is true but I think the rest is just another show.I don't buy the rest of the show.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
True. But, what I'm saying is, if it was given away to people, and no money changed hands from the maker to the customer, would it be legal?

If I work on a guys truck and charge him 500 dollars and he pays me cash, and I don't report it to the IRS, and they find out about it, I'm in trouble. If I do the same job as a favor, no problem with the IRS. Would the same apply to moonshine. I know people that make wine and sell it. There is no tax paid on it. They are breaking the tax laws, both the alcohol tax law, and the income tax law. Back when we made wine, we always made it in 50 gallon batches. I was a kid back then, so I don't know if Grandpa sold any of it or not. He made a 50 gallon batch every year. And I loved it!
You can make it for yourself and no tax violations if you give it away. Part of the law though is very likely due to the human consumption part. Health laws will get you if the tax man can't.

Did you know that in many schools now you cannot take home made food...like cupcakes and cookies...to classroom parties? If you can take anything at all it has to to sealed.

Processed foods for everyone.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by kw5413
You can make it for yourself and no tax violations if you give it away. Part of the law though is very likely due to the human consumption part. Health laws will get you if the tax man can't.

Did you know that in many schools now you cannot take home made food...like cupcakes and cookies...to classroom parties? If you can take anything at all it has to to sealed.

Processed foods for everyone.

Yes. And some of processed foods can't be taken because of the allergies that some kids are coming up with these days. Some kids have severe allergies to peanuts. My wife is a school teacher and one of her kids has allergies to peanuts. Now it's not too serious, but it is bad. Some kids do have severe allergies that are possibly life threatening. I got an education about this stuff earlier this school year.

Quick Reply: TV Show: Moonshiners...