6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Problems caused by idling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 AM
bearqst
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents from the land of cold

I had the manual high idle installed, its set to run at 1600 rpm with a timer of 36 minutes per auto start.

This was installed at the dealership and works great for me at our temps, which I know are exceptions to most everyone else.

At our current temps this winter, -39 below (f) this morning, it takes about 20 minutes before I'll drive off. Mainly due to "personal comfort" and also "engine compartment heat" under the hood. If we drive off to soon, say warm it for only 5 minutes and take off, then we have other concerns such as power steerling lines breaking.

By warming the engine and allowing that heat to build up under the hood, we heat the other components of the vehicle engine compartment.

With the high idle set at 1600 rpms I believe I'm preventing wet stacking, especially when you consider that running at 45 mph my rpms are lower.

The SEIC info I've seen is set to run at 1200 rpms, so 400 rpms less than my manual may make a difference in wet stacking.

I use a padded bra as well as the chome insert winter grill to keep the heat up while driving and have not had any over heat issues.

Biggest issue is burning more fuel, but that just comes with living in the cold country.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:14 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'd have to plug an electric blanket into the ac adapter behind the console, use the remote start so it could warm up, and wrap up in that for a few miles if I lived in the truly cold part of the country - along with the heated seats. But that's assuming that port is turned on with the remote start.

As it is, I had turn the AC on this morning driving into work.....

Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 PM
bearqst
Junior User
Originally Posted by 2horses
As it is, I had turn the AC on this morning driving into work.....
All I have to do is open the window, instant kool

Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 PM
thejean
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Bearqst, what is your oil temp typically when you get in the truck after 20 mins and 1600 rpms at -39F?

By the way, that is bloody cold, even by my standards!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:42 PM
thejean
Elder User
Also, I'm going to fire up at -30C in a half hour and drive for a bit. Will record how long it takes to hit 20C oil temp or record what it is at after 10 mins to compare to data above.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 PM
thejean
Elder User
Originally Posted by thejean
Also, I'm going to fire up at -30C in a half hour and drive for a bit. Will record how long it takes to hit 20C oil temp or record what it is at after 10 mins to compare to data above.
In a nutshell, I got up to temp about twice as quick as high idling when I drove (got to 40C in 10 mins). But at -30C I was nearly frozen to the core after 10 mins of driving. I'll take the high idling, thank you very much.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:07 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Secondly consider how many millions of vehicles, gas and diesel, that are on the road, and of them how many get idled up to temp before taking off down the road. My second-to-last truck when I was driving commercially had an '06 Caterpillar C15 with 560,000 miles on it when I turned it in. In accordance with company preference, I used to start that thing up and throw it in gear after about 30 seconds just like most other company drivers.
So you didn't have to air the truck up before you took off?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
So you didn't have to air the truck up before you took off?
The tanks didn't have drain *****, so unless there was an air leak there was plenty of pressure. I guess I was too lazy(or too considerate of those around me to make all the noise) to pump the tanks down, so that wasn't a problem with me. From 0 PSI it never took more than a couple minutes to fill back up to 100 PSI.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:58 AM
bearqst
Junior User
Originally Posted by thejean
In a nutshell, I got up to temp about twice as quick as high idling when I drove (got to 40C in 10 mins). But at -30C I was nearly frozen to the core after 10 mins of driving. I'll take the high idling, thank you very much.
That's the biggest issue I have. Sounds great to run auto start for 5 minutes and get the engine temps started and just drive, but sitting in a cold rig at anything below zero (f) is just down right cold and dangerous to ones health.

Before I had the high idle installed, when the temps dropped to -15 (f) below or colder I was wearing light thermals with my exterior arctic gear just to keep the feeling in hands and legs to drive. Of course it also become a pain when the rig did get to full running temps and your all bundled up and no way to change out. So I was going from freezing to cooking. Manual high idle is my life saver

It also helps when your stopped for any length of time. I've read about folks complaining about letting your rig idle when you stop at a quick-stop say, when the temps hit zero (f) or below most folks up here idle their rigs, gassers included, just to fill up their tanks. I now set the high idle while I'm fueling and enjoy the heat

Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
thejean
Elder User
And for me, I've got the added issue of keeping a 3-yr old somewhat warm on the cold mornings. Maybe I should have bought a gasser but what's done is done and all I can do is make the best of it.

I still think the PTC heater would have been nice.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I have the supplemental cab heater which works pretty good. Lot's of times when temps are at 0 f or below I can remote start and in about 10 minutes the cab is getting toasty.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Northof62
New User
I work in Alaska's north slope oil fields. I feel pretty confident in saying that Diesel trucks have never seen a harsher climate. For example, today it was fifty below. Not quite spring weather here yet. Almost every single truck up here is a Ford. There are allot of them, and they all see many hours of idling. 10-12 hours a day. I'm sure this is hard on the engine but when it's that cold there is no other option. The guy at the fleet shop told me that the only time they see big problems is when the truck's high idle isn't engaged. I'm not sure if this is true or not, we go through allot of trucks. I'm looking forward to observing how the 6.7 will hold up in this climate. I've only seen a few so far but I will be paying close attention to how they do now that I own one.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Northof62
New User
I would also like to add that Bearqst makes an excellent point about allowing the engine to warm up other components under the hood when it is really cold. I have blown power steering lines before from driving away with out proper warm up in extreme temps. That was on a Dodge though, so.... I don't claim to know what I'm talking about but I always idle for fifteen minutes if is -10 or colder. And I don't use the auto start unless I know I will be in the truck before it has a chance shut down. This way I'm not cranking the engine multiple times in extreme cold temps. If I'm running into the store and it's twenty below, high idle time. Most of the people I know in Alaska Idle their diesels allot with out any problems. Only time will tell if the 6.7 can handle it.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:02 AM
mountaincat900
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Definatly inerested Northof62 to hear how the 6.7s do up there with the idleling all the time and in that extreme cold enviro with the exhaust fluid and all. thanks

Old 03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Hu Slung Pu
Junior User
I usually remote start mine and try to let it run a few minutes before driving. My thought is to make sure the engine is good and lubed before I drove off. Probably not the case though. Just makes me feel better I guess.

Quick Reply: Problems caused by idling?