1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

truck keeps trashin' GPR's

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:18 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Action4478
Its a really bad Idea to come here and make a statement like your original post ,, & the next one is even worse .. Don't even think about attacking any of our friends .

If you don't have any thing technical to add , go away ...
It wasnt a troll and I took as being offensive. Feel free to look where I have been here and see if I havent been trying to help other members. He attacked me with false accusatios and I attacked him back with what I have seen. So tell your friends not to be attacking me and there wont be hateful posts going around.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
The GPR is controlled by the PCM on the GROUND side of the coil, the "hot" (12v) side is ignition source and hot with the key in the run position at all times.

NAPA, specifically ECHLIN brand relays are perfectly good and I have never had a problem using them, BUT for anything electrical, it is OEM ONLY on anything I am working on. The aftermarket might be as good as OEM, but more likely it's cheap junk. Motorcraft or IH only for a GPR, just like the GPs, that's my advice.

The GPs are activated based on EOT and altitude, so if the EOT sensor indicates 120*F oil temp, even though it is really 15*F, the GPs will not be commanded on by the PCM because you don't need GPs with EOT of 120*F.

Make SURE you are getting a full 12V to the larger B+ terminal of the GPR and that while activated the voltage on BOTH larger terminals is within 1.0V of each other.

Using a substitute GPR that drwas more amps will only blow the fuse, it won't hurt the PCM because it is a ground side controlled output.

The PCM takes a reading from the engine oil temp and it has a barometric sensor if it is 94 to 97. if a 99 -03 the Baro is in the PCM that is what controls glow plug on time.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:38 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
This was the OP:

Originally Posted by bridgeman
Can't get through a winter with one and I've bought them from different sources, last one was from ebay and the guy has sold a ton of them...shot in less than 2 months.
Then here is what Mike/Fordpride said:

The problem is cheap GPR's like e-bay and the gpr-109 they just don't last. But where you get off telling people to go to another site because apparently this site isn't up to your standards so if that's the case then it wouldn't hurt my feelings if you didn't post here again.
So I am saying the man claims to have bought many and from different sources at that. I am sure he may have gotten the same brand once or twice , but , more than likely hae has used a few different ones. If they are all doing the same thing regardless of the brand thats not the problem . There could very well be something wrong with he PCM. The OP if he is like any of the rest of us there have been times when he didnt have time to wait on internet shipping and probably got one from a local parts store. I bought a IH and I bought a BW. I havent had problems with either one. They have been in sevice for at least 5-7 yrs. I think the problem goes deeper than a cheap unit. I am suspecting the ground source as the culprit. Mainly b/c that can be checked and serviced for free. So if the bracket it mounts to isnt secured or if there is paint or dirt maybe even rust it may not have a good ground. The other units very well could still be good units , but , lost their ground and caused the OP to think it was bad.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bruno2
It wasnt a troll and I took as being offensive. Feel free to look where I have been here and see if I havent been trying to help other members. He attacked me with false accusatios and I attacked him back with what I have seen. So tell your friends not to be attacking me and there wont be hateful posts going around.
You may want to go back & re read the thread , No one is attacking you..

What was it that got this started ?...

Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, did I miss the post where you guys diagnosed the issue?

Talyn talk all the smack you want . I see you getting roasted all the time at Ford Diesel Power. I guess on your turf your a PSD wizard.
So I just went to see Ford Diesel Power. The 7.3 tech section has 4 viewing right now, the OBS drivetrain has 1 viewing. Most online ever was 119. PSN says most ever was 987. There's 14 viewing 7.3 tech and 11 viewing OBS tech.

Meanwhile here at FTE, there's 112 currently viewing just the OBS 7.3 tech section. Most online for FTE is 6,476. And you're saying he should go to another site because they have better traffic? Or is this just the type of stuff you post when you have nothing constructive to add? Makes me wonder why you stopped by here if those other sites are so great.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
My first replacement GPR was a choice between a motorcraft ,napa GPR , 109 or a GPR 110 .. I settled on the Motorcraft part .. It did not make it 4 ,months .. So what is your diagnosis ?...

Old 01-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
The GPR is controlled by the PCM on the GROUND side of the coil, the "hot" (12v) side is ignition source and hot with the key in the run position at all times.

NAPA, specifically ECHLIN brand relays are perfectly good and I have never had a problem using them, BUT for anything electrical, it is OEM ONLY on anything I am working on. The aftermarket might be as good as OEM, but more likely it's cheap junk. Motorcraft or IH only for a GPR, just like the GPs, that's my advice.

The GPs are activated based on EOT and altitude, so if the EOT sensor indicates 120*F oil temp, even though it is really 15*F, the GPs will not be commanded on by the PCM because you don't need GPs with EOT of 120*F.

Make SURE you are getting a full 12V to the larger B+ terminal of the GPR and that while activated the voltage on BOTH larger terminals is within 1.0V of each other.

Using a substitute GPR that drwas more amps will only blow the fuse, it won't hurt the PCM because it is a ground side controlled output.

The PCM takes a reading from the engine oil temp and it has a barometric sensor if it is 94 to 97. if a 99 -03 the Baro is in the PCM that is what controls glow plug on time.
Tell us something we don't know ,& something you didn't copy and paste from google ...

Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I am suspecting the ground source as the culprit. Mainly b/c that can be checked and serviced for free. So if the bracket it mounts to isnt secured or if there is paint or dirt maybe even rust it may not have a good ground. The other units very well could still be good units , but , lost their ground and caused the OP to think it was bad.
The bracket doesn't ground the relay. As stated above (before your post), the PCM turns on the GPR by grounding it. If the PCM is working at all, its ground is good. It's entirely conceivable that the OP could be getting several bad relays. Redman's suggestion of the Stancor relay way up in post 2 is the best advice so far.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:55 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Talyn
Damn Trolls.
OK dude, this wasnt an attack or where Mike is telling me not to be posting here? Whatever man I am following the thread to get to the solution to see what is the root of the problem. Like I was saying sometimes the right people for the right question just arent online when you need them.

I am not buying Mike's claim of the cheap GPR's. Unless the Op can post up the brands so we can be sure none of them came from Ford or IH. All the Op said was that the last one he bought came from Ebay. He didnt say they all came from Ebay.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:58 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by madpogue
The bracket doesn't ground the relay. As stated above (before your post), the PCM turns on the GPR by grounding it. If the PCM is working at all, its ground is good. It's entirely conceivable that the OP could be getting several bad relays. Redman's suggestion of the Stancor relay way up in post 2 is the best advice so far.
The Stancors arent the only ones that will last though. I have a 95 that I have never changed in the several yrs that I have owned it. I dont know that its stock, but, I do know it isnt a stancor.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen one time (internet and hands on experience combine,...I have a little of both....)where a PCM was defective only in the driver of the GP ground circuit but the rest of the PCM was in perfect working order,

Old 01-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
OK dude, this wasnt an attack or where Mike is telling me not to be posting here? Whatever man I am following the thread to get to the solution to see what is the root of the problem. Like I was saying sometimes the right people for the right question just arent online when you need them.

I am not buying Mike's claim of the cheap GPR's. Unless the Op can post up the brands so we can be sure none of them came from Ford or IH. All the Op said was that the last one he bought came from Ebay. He didnt say they all came from Ebay.
It wasn't an attack..If you are looking for a solution as you say ,(and you already knew you wouldn't find it here ) you should be at one of the other sites as per your first post in this thread ...

Old 01-07-2012, 08:01 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Tell us something we don't know ,& something you didn't copy and paste from google ...
It was copied and pasted , but , not from Google. A simple expalnation of how the thing gets powered may help someone. I am having a hard time believing there hasnt been a quality unit installed at least once

Old 01-07-2012, 08:08 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
I have seen one time (internet and hands on experience combine,...I have a little of both....)where a PCM was defective only in the driver of the GP ground circuit but the rest of the PCM was in perfect working order,

Very interesting TJ. This wouldnt suprise me if it wasnt the issue the OP is actually having. I suppose a PCM swap would be the only way to determine if this was the cause and it would take months to know for sure.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
It was copied and pasted , but , not from Google. A simple expalnation of how the thing gets powered may help someone. I am having a hard time believing there hasnt been a quality unit installed at least once
Aside from a stancor , there are no quality units ...

Quick Reply: truck keeps trashin' GPR's