6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

UPDATE WITH VIDEO: [Hopefully] Minor Issue -- white smoke out the tail pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:09 PM
MudhenGIB
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE WITH VIDEO: [Hopefully] Minor Issue -- white smoke out the tail pipe...

Today I was working on installing my new radio (AppRadio) in my 2005 F250 6.0L. Finished up the install, everything is working great. Unit is cool, but that's for a different thread.

Had the key in the ACC-ON position for about 3 mins (literally). Glow plugs were obviously warm... I then went to start the truck, and it cranked per normal, but did not turn over. I let it crank for about 2-3 seconds thinking it was going to turn over, but it did not. I turned the key full OFF, and waited for about 1 minute.

I then turned the key to ACC-ON, glow plug light out, and cranked. Cranked normal, BUT a large plume of white smoke went out the tailpipe (I saw it in the side view mirror, then it floated away).

Odd, I thought.

I drive around the block for about 5 minutes, truck warms up, ScanGaugeII shows no codes. Coolant temp is 170, oil temp is 169. Under acceleration the ICP is 1500-1900, then idle it drops to 500-600.

I pull back in the driveway, idle, and push the throttle up to 3000-4000RPM. I hold that RPM, and white smoke begins to exit the tail pipe. Not THICK, but definitely thick enough to be noticable in the side view mirror and as it blows forward of the truck (had a tail wind).

Ran the SGII and again, no codes.

Should I be worried for 2012? By the way, it has been nearly 2 years and 20,000 miles since I did the total EGR package (delete/bypass, new oil cooler, coolant filter, HPOP update, etc).

Thanks much in advance.

Matt

Old 01-01-2012, 12:18 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
how did you deleate the egr cooler

smell the smoke see if it smells like diesel fuel

Im wondering if you have an injector going out

Old 01-01-2012, 12:22 PM
MudhenGIB
Senior User

The smell certainly smells like diesel fuel. It does NOT smell like coolant.

I used the Bullet Proof Diesel EGR delete kit.

Would a failing injector pop a code?

Old 01-01-2012, 12:27 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MudhenGIB

Usually they do pop a contributation code

and due to type of egr deleate Im really starting to think injector

becareful Hydrolock is possible as well as burning a hole in the piston

Old 01-01-2012, 12:31 PM
MudhenGIB
Senior User

Originally Posted by BLADE35
Usually they do pop a contributation code

and due to type of egr deleate Im really starting to think injector

becareful Hydrolock is possible as well as burning a hole in the piston
Why would that type of EGR delete cause an injector to fail?

I won't drive the truck until I figure this out. Where would the water come from for the hydro-lock??

This is the first I have heard that the Bullet Proof EGR delete can cause an injector to fail.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:32 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You do know if you turn the key one notch counter-clockwise from the position where you can pull the key out that you'll have power to all your accessories...without supplying power to the engine. It would be easier on your batteries.
The smell certainly smells like diesel fuel. It does NOT smell like coolant.
My next question would be, at any point did the smoke go away? Say after a few moment it cleared up and the truck is normal? The reason I ask, when you tried to start it the first time the glow plugs had timed out, and gone cold; when you tried to start it...there was no heat in the cylinders to help light off the fuel. When you cycled the key the plugs came on...heated everything up and the fuel lite off like it's supposed to. All that unburnt fuel from the first try will try to work it's way out of the exhaust now that the truck is running, could take a couple of moment for it to "be gone".
Yes, it would show the cylinder/injector number and as a low contribution code.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:41 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Why would that type of EGR delete cause an injector to fail?

I won't drive the truck until I figure this out. Where would the water come from for the hydro-lock??

This is the first I have heard that the Bullet Proof EGR delete can cause an injector to fail.

Its not the egr deleate that caused your problem

The reason I ask is some folks try and weld the egr coolers up as a Form of egr deleate
well if they cant weld the hot/cold cycles crackthe weld job and the so called deleated egr cooler Leaks coolant into the intake causing white smoke

You just have a Failing injector IMO if the white smoke doesnt go away

are you with me now

Old 01-01-2012, 12:44 PM
MudhenGIB
Senior User

The white smoke goes away at normal idle, and after that initial "puff" after leaving the key ON.

The white smoke is there, but not consistent, under the higher RPMs while stationary. I have not driven it or been WOT on the road yet.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 PM
MudhenGIB
Senior User

Originally Posted by zhilton
You do know if you turn the key one notch counter-clockwise from the position where you can pull the key out that you'll have power to all your accessories...without supplying power to the engine. It would be easier on your batteries.My next question would be, at any point did the smoke go away? Say after a few moment it cleared up and the truck is normal? The reason I ask, when you tried to start it the first time the glow plugs had timed out, and gone cold; when you tried to start it...there was no heat in the cylinders to help light off the fuel. When you cycled the key the plugs came on...heated everything up and the fuel lite off like it's supposed to. All that unburnt fuel from the first try will try to work it's way out of the exhaust now that the truck is running, could take a couple of moment for it to "be gone".Yes, it would show the cylinder/injector number and as a low contribution code.
That is good data, thanks. I wired the unit up exactly per instructions, but for some reason the power to the unit is not there when I turn the key on spot, only to the second. I'll take a look.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:52 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dumb question, where do you live? (state/province is all I'm wondering) The reason I'm asking, if it's cool enough...your going to get condensation out of the tailpipe until the engine gets it hot enough to "burn the water" out of the pipe.
That is good data, thanks. I wired the unit up exactly per instructions, but for some reason the power to the unit is not there when I turn the key on spot, only to the second. I'll take a look.
Where did you wire the power into at? I wired my A-pillar gauges into fuse slot #23 "customer accessories" (I think) and they only get power after the charging system starts...which after the glow plugs shut off. I didn't realize that at first and I'm debating about moving that supply wire to another source.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:56 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by zhilton
You do know if you turn the key one notch counter-clockwise from the position where you can pull the key out that you'll have power to all your accessories...without supplying power to the engine. It would be easier on your batteries.My next question would be, at any point did the smoke go away? Say after a few moment it cleared up and the truck is normal? The reason I ask, when you tried to start it the first time the glow plugs had timed out, and gone cold; when you tried to start it...there was no heat in the cylinders to help light off the fuel. When you cycled the key the plugs came on...heated everything up and the fuel lite off like it's supposed to. All that unburnt fuel from the first try will try to work it's way out of the exhaust now that the truck is running, could take a couple of moment for it to "be gone".Yes, it would show the cylinder/injector number and as a low contribution code.

I was thinking the same thing Zach

just to lazy to type it up about the GP timing out

If you really had an injector going I would think you would be feeling a missfire with all this

Just keep an eye on it but theres probably nothing wrong

Old 01-01-2012, 01:07 PM
MudhenGIB
Senior User

I sincerely hope there is nothing broke. For what it's worth, truck was plenty warm when I was high revving it and saw some smoke. Engine temps were 170ish. I am in Texas FWIW.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it and continue to run scans for codes.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM
MudhenGIB
Senior User

Please take a look at this video and let me know your thoughts. RPMs were between 3000-4000. After watching it do it again, even after driving the truck for about 15 mins, I'm a bit worried. Should I be?

2005 Ford F250 PSD White Smoke (EGR Delete) - YouTube

Old 01-01-2012, 05:42 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Interesting

was the truck up to operating temp in the vidio 190ect or so

with the truck running pull the oil filler cap off should have a little vacum there if you can feel it suck in a little there its ok if blowing pressure out thats not good

Hows all fluid levals

Im still kinda thinking an injector is on its way out

or maybe a turbo seal but thats usually blue/black smoke you would pull the down pipe to check a turbo seal

Old 01-01-2012, 05:47 PM
MudhenGIB
Senior User

Originally Posted by BLADE35
Interesting

was the truck up to operating temp in the vidio 190ect or so

with the truck running pull the oil filler cap off should have a little vacum there if you can feel it suck in a little there its ok if blowing pressure out thats not good

Hows all fluid levals

Im still kinda thinking an injector is on its way out

or maybe a turbo seal but thats usually blue/black smoke you would pull the down pipe to check a turbo seal
We drove for roughly 30 mins, pulled into the driveway, and shot that video (did not turn the car off first). It was about 175 EOT/ECT. That's what it normally runs at unless I am towing something or it's 90+ degrees outside, then I see 190ish.

Will check all levels and check the oil cap as you recommend. I agree with you, white smoke is usually coolant or fuel? I'm fairly certain this one is not coolant...

Will report back.

Quick Reply: UPDATE WITH VIDEO: [Hopefully] Minor Issue -- white smoke out the tail pipe...