Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

free steak to someone who will let me drive their 6.9

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
free steak to someone who will let me drive their 6.9

If anyone in the panhandle (of TX) would mind letting me check out their 6.9 (or even 7.3IDI as they are pretty close) I would greatly appreciate it....and show said appreciation by buying a steak (or lunch or any food).

I have a pretty promising lead on an 86 F350 SRW 4x4 w/the 6.9 (and C6) and am seriously considering picking it up (guy wants to trade for my jeep XJ).
The truck has 205K w/stock injectors and IP (they are probably on their way out w/that many miles).He also says the truck has in "injector leak"....Im getting more clarification on that. Hopefully it hasn't washed a cylinder.

I am from the 7.3 powerstroke world and am apprehensive about jumping head-first and having a learn a new engine. I am pretty excited about having injectors and parts that are super cheap....and simple technology (w/out all the computer stuff).

Thoughts?

Here are some pics!

Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Decent looking truck. Im up in Idaho or we would have a deal. A few tweaks and you will be back in psd territory.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:17 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 522 Likes on 255 Posts
Not a bad looking old truck. If you can wrench on a stroke, you will have no problems wrenching on a 6.9. They are so much simpler than the strokes.No computers and electronics to go bad. One bad part is there are no codes to tell you there is something wrong, if you are used to going that route. Hopefully the injector leak is just the return line o rings.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:46 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never driven a c6 idi, but judging by the lack of takeoff on my dumptruck, I would look for a 5 speed, or at least get advice from someone who's owned both.. The auto in the dump is a love/ hate thing. I would have been pretty worn out after 25-30 hrs plowing snow if I had to push the clutch in my IDI. For some reason it is a lot stiffer than the PSD trucks I've driven.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:56 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That combo is what I used to run. I had 3.55 gears with 33" tires and it did well. With a little fine tuning of the vrv (vacumn regulator valve) you can even adjust the shift pionts and firmness of the shifts. I only swapped in the t18 cuase I prefer manual trans and had my share of problems lol. Don't get me wrong, the c6 is a damn good trany and some day when I get old and my knee don't like to clutch anymore I may go back to the c6. I will tell you that if you have any thing bigger than the 33's on it and 3.55 gears you will want to swap up to the 4.10's. It will make a drastic improvement.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
got some more pics today (better quality...not those terrible clist pics)
ill post up tonight when I get off duty

Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 AM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Better pics of the truck.
What are yalls thoughts? It looks a little more "world weary" in these pictures.

Im not really sure what I want to do. My Jeep is in really good shape, but she rolled over to 250,000 miles on the trip back from lubbock on weds night. Its getting a little long in the tooth and I dont really fit into her too well. On the other hand, she has had impeccable maintenance so no telling how long ye ole' I6 will keep kicking.

I guess what it boils down to is do I want to trade a Jeep w/high miles and great body that I dont fit into but an older truck w/less miles that I do fit into?
what are yalls thoughts on this? I have been trying to get back in a Ford diesel but really had my eye on a PS until this truck popped up. I guess if I dont like it I can always sell her.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:59 AM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by farmert
Not a bad looking old truck. If you can wrench on a stroke, you will have no problems wrenching on a 6.9. They are so much simpler than the strokes.No computers and electronics to go bad. One bad part is there are no codes to tell you there is something wrong, if you are used to going that route. Hopefully the injector leak is just the return line o rings.
Asked about the leak and fuel leak is where fuel line connects to the injector

Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 522 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by maverick1701
Asked about the leak and fuel leak is where fuel line connects to the injector
Next question, is the leak above or below the nut that fastens the line on the injector? Below the nut points to return line o-rings, above possibly a cracked line, or if you are lucky the nut may be a little loose. Check to see if the anti-vibration clamps are on the injector lines. These need to be on or vibration will crack the lines at the flair under the nut. From your picts it looks like the one is on the drivers side set of lines, but I can't tell for sure. On a closer look it seem that both lower clanps are there, but there should be two highe up onthe lines.
Still not a bad old truck for 26 years old.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:15 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya not a bad looking truck. That body style is my favorite lol. Worst case on the leak is a cross threaded injector flare nut. That would mean new injecdtor and line as well as return lines and o-rings. The return part I would do any way if you got it. If sounds good and drives well I would trade a high mileage jeep for her.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interior sure can use some good work/cleaning. Otherwise looks like a tough truck!

It must need glow plugs or something if hes keeping it on the block heater and see no snow on the ground.....

Oh, and for fuel economy sake, get rid of that useless K&N filter right at the end of the air cleaner bowl, and find or make a factory style cold air intake from the front of the rad support. Breathing in hot engine bay air isn't good for mpg nor EGT's.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:45 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
thanks guys! I think I am going to pull the trigger and make the trade.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:28 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
if you don't trade a jeep with a quarter million miles on it for a crew cab 4wd idi truck,then there's just no hope for ya.
nice swap!
prepare the wrenches though.she's an oldie but goodie.you have been warned lol.but it's so worth the effort.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
if you don't trade a jeep with a quarter million miles on it for a crew cab 4wd idi truck,then there's just no hope for ya.
nice swap!
prepare the wrenches though.she's an oldie but goodie.you have been warned lol.but it's so worth the effort.
Yea I have no illusions about a 25 year old truck not needing any work. I figure it will need injectors, IP, filters and all fluids right off the bat.

Is there a CPS in these trucks? They are really crappy and go out all the time in the PS 7.3s.

I figure if I can wrench on a PS I should have no problem with a 6.9....like going from a cray supercomputer to an old sun systems w/windows 3.1.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 PM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No need to be apprehensive about learning to wrench on an IDI, they are wide line fat pencil kind of stuff. Very simple, and mega cheap compared to the PSD. Good looking truck!

Quick Reply: free steak to someone who will let me drive their 6.9