Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Lesson Learned ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:48 AM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lesson Learned ??

I have Geico ins on 3 autos and just received a letter that they are canceling my 03 F250 ...reason being is too many customizations and modifications....WTF?????First,I have used Geico for 8+years only 1 claim 3 years ago(not the F250)..Earlier this year after a conversation with other friends and then speaking to my agent, if my truck gets stolen,insurance only pays for "stock truck"well,not liking that option and wanting peice of mind and to protect my investment,my agent says to list the customazations and pay extra,then its covered..So I did, now they cancel my truck........
Anyway so much for my rant....I need a good insurance company...
The funny thing is,while talking to them,they couldn't understand why i am taking all my ins elsewhere...and they have me wondering,I tell them to take the customizations off my truck and they say we cant because we would still have to pay for them...??

Old 12-27-2011, 11:52 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Never thought about insuring my mods but it sure makes you think.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:13 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have progressive and they wont a list of mods to the truck. i dont have enough to pay more.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:58 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have Farmers and got an extra 10 grand of collision insurance, the max offered, to cover the mods for less than 60 bucks a year.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:02 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
my understanding is, if its stolen, they will only pay on value of stock, if involved in an accident and its your fault they will only pay for stock parts....in my case, i have more in aftermarket parts than the stock truck is worth darn PMS..

Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
I have Farmers and got an extra 10 grand of collision insurance, the max offered, to cover the mods for less than 60 bucks a year.

what if its stolen????

called Farmers....they won't insure a lifted truck..........

Old 12-28-2011, 12:57 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My car Was in an accident, not my faUlt, police report proves it, I wasn't even in the car (parking lot accident) and a week later I got a letter saying my insurance was going up.... Aaah, how did you find out about this accident (other persons insurance covered it all and I never talked to anyone at geico) and how is my insurance going up when it wasn't my fault.

Never will suggest geico to anyone. Ever

Old 12-28-2011, 01:18 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
USAA doesn't care to even be informed of mods...

Old 12-28-2011, 02:08 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
I've had Allstate since 2000 in Maine. They have been great. I call my agent, they know me by my voice (I call every other month sometimes because I take them in/out of storage) and I get darn good service. along wih a darn good rate. I had an accident little over a year ago in my psd, and my rate never went up. I hit a deer with one of my mustangs in 03 and my rate never changed.
I'm now in PA and have progressive, and I'm hoping that it will go half as well. As it is now, I pay as much for liability on a 1990 truck, then I do for 6 vehicles in Maine... And two of them have full coverage.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:39 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nlemerise
USAA doesn't care to even be informed of mods...

will they pay for the mod/custom when stolen or wrecked???

Old 12-28-2011, 03:41 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
I've had Allstate since 2000 in Maine. They have been great. I call my agent, they know me by my voice (I call every other month sometimes because I take them in/out of storage) and I get darn good service. along wih a darn good rate. I had an accident little over a year ago in my psd, and my rate never went up. I hit a deer with one of my mustangs in 03 and my rate never changed.
I'm now in PA and have progressive, and I'm hoping that it will go half as well. As it is now, I pay as much for liability on a 1990 truck, then I do for 6 vehicles in Maine... And two of them have full coverage.

My girlfriend has Allstate and likes them...I am going to see her agent tomorrow...I am afraid to even mention mods..

Old 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by joeyd61
My girlfriend has Allstate and likes them...I am going to see her agent tomorrow...I am afraid to even mention mods..
I called 3 different Allstate agents and got 3 different quotes. I went with the lower quote and couldn't be happier.
When I hit the deer with my 94 mustang it had an aftermarket hood. The adjuster is the one who got me the new aftermarket hood and cobra front bumpercover. You NEED to be there when the adjuster is there. You can either get screwed or get a fair value.
My mountaineer was totaled, the adjuster said it needed the rear bumper realigned and gave me a check for $240. 63 days later I had a check for 3200$ because I had to fight what the adjuster wrote down. (long story but he pissed off the autobody shop very bad)

Old 12-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

I have Geico and don't have collision. It's only $900 a year for my 2 trucks my wifes CRV and my TT. I just drive carefull haha.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Allied and I just hit a deer about 3 weeks ago. I'm going to find out how good my insurance company is as I'm looking at a new front bumper, grill, headlights, fixed hood, new fender and driver's doors both front and back.
I basically hit the deer at about 50 to 55 MPH on the side of the head with the driver's side headlight which spun the deer around and made him hit the side of the truck with his rump.
Just saw the adjuster yesterday. Hoping for a response in the next couple days but not to extremely worried about it because I have Prepaid legal and my firm here in Idaho told me to keep them posted as to the results so they can insure I get my truck fixed.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
What I have done in the past was insure my vehicles for "appraised value" instead of listing individual mods. My mom was my insurance agent since I started driving back in the day, & that is what she recommended.

I'm not sure how the loop hole worked and she's no longer around to ask, but I would find an independant appraiser and buy him and his family dinner to butter him up.
Insuring a $20k truck looks better on paper than a $15k truck with $5k in mods.
My .02

Quick Reply: Lesson Learned ??