Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up a 12V Cummins for X Fummins conversion today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:07 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picked up a 12V Cummins for X Fummins conversion today!

Finally managed to find a bone stock 100,000 mile Dodge with a 12V P-pumped Cummins diesel engine! It's almost a shame to strip the motor out of this truck since everything works, it starts on the first crank, AC blows cold, (even the tranny works) to build up for the Excursion, but I have been itching to do a Fummins conversion for awhile. Everything is stock on the motor and I mean stock, the AFC housing still has the factory break off screw, factory airbox, even factory exhaust. Best part, only paid $2500.00 for it, $70 for the trailer rental + fuel. Ill take some underhood pics when the sun comes up.

So, I am shooting for 600hp setup for the Excursion. The usual mods, p-pump tuning, remove fuel plate, twin turbos, injectors, cam, headstuds, 4K GSK, freshen up all the gaskets. Going to crack the timing cover this weekend and do the killer dowel pin mod and loctite all the case bolts since I might play around with it till it warms up this spring.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. I am currently driving my second Cummins. They are fun and reliable. I am just starting to learn about powerstrokes because I want an Excursion, and I am already dreaming of doing a conversion.

Just show pics please.

Hunter

Old 12-23-2011, 08:49 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 9905
Wow. I am currently driving my second Cummins. They are fun and reliable. I am just starting to learn about powerstrokes because I want an Excursion, and I am already dreaming of doing a conversion.

Just show pics please.

Hunter
Will do, what's the story on your Cummins. Get an Excursion, I can honestly say it has been one of my favorite vehicles ever and I have had big block Cuda's, 900hp 5.9 Dodge 3500's, and a 1300hp Challenger.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:41 AM
EXCURSIONATOR1
Senior User
I want to do a cummins conversion on my gas X.Whats wrong with your 6.0? Can't it be modified to make 500whp? BTW nice looking X!

Old 12-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
was wondering the same thing...why swap a perfectly good 6.0 out?

Old 12-24-2011, 04:40 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tylus
was wondering the same thing...why swap a perfectly good 6.0 out?
Unfortunately it is not a perfectly good 6.0 as you can see. This truck has head studs and black onyx headgaskets. Local shop wants $3000 to pull the heads, replace the gaskets, resurface heads as needed and check the headstuds. Not going to do that again. I dropped $10K on maint. and repair on my 6.0 in the last 2 years on Headstuds, EGR, deletes, tune, 2 oil coolers, front and rear seal replacements, bedplate leaks, a turbo, Cat ELC coolant, blah, blah, blah. Been puking for about 2 weeks now. Gonna go a different route.

More pics of the old girl.

And an old stablemate.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
ahhh...I see the want/need now. You going to fix the 6.0 up once it's removed and sell?

should be able to get a few thousand $$$$ for it. Especially if you put new OEM gaskets on with those ARP's

I've read of quite a few Black Onyx (Victor) gasket failures. Sorry to hear you seem to be another one

Old 12-24-2011, 08:44 PM
jazz77
Senior User
nice find. I'm also planning on a cummins swap but am still in the planning stages.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:57 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tylus
ahhh...I see the want/need now. You going to fix the 6.0 up once it's removed and sell?

should be able to get a few thousand $$$$ for it. Especially if you put new OEM gaskets on with those ARP's

I've read of quite a few Black Onyx (Victor) gasket failures. Sorry to hear you seem to be another one
Yeah, it will get a nice freshening up when its on the engine stand. OEM head gaskets, new injectors, glow plugs, gaskets, seals, sensors and such. Pretty much everything short of getting into the shortblock. Then I will either flip it or do something crazy like put it in the CUCV if I can't find a buyer. It has <100K miles.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:11 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
Nice, will be following this thread. Are you going to be doing the conversion with fordcummins' stuff or something homemade? Also, just curious as to why you went with the 94-98 12v. Cost, mileage, simplicity? I'm in the process of just hunting down a good clean Ex to drive with the V10 for a few years but this is one of the things I've been looking at sort of in passing and would love to see your results. I know there is at least one person on here with a 5.9 equipped X. Also, keeping the Torqshift auto or going nuts and finding a ZF5/6 and manual tranny swap parts?

Old 12-24-2011, 09:31 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Gonna use fordcummins or destroked. Haven't completely settled yet. I am definitely keeping the torqshift which will get a full billet build with a PTO upgrade for an onboard generator set.

I went with the 94-98 5.9 because I wanted the simplicity of the P7100 bosch pump, it has awesome power potential and is simple and omg reliable. I am thinking of an Aurora 3000/Aurora 5000 combo, water meth, a nice nitrous hit to spool the turbos just for giggles, nasty injectors, p7100 turned up to 13mm with 700cc+, cam, 4K governor springs, well you get the picture.

I had a 97 2500 with BD twins, water meth, nitrous, Goerend tranny and it ran mid 11's on boosted 4WD launches on 37's. I am staying away from the VP44 pump 24v engines because the VP44 pump blows more than the the better flowing head is worth to me. The common rails have more electronics than I want to deal with even though the plug and play tuning is nice. The 6.7 has too much emissions junk and well, they are expensive.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:27 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
Wow sounds like you know plenty and have the experience to get this swap done right. I've heard of the ridiculous mileage achieved with the 12Vs as well, it would be funny to have an Excursion that gets better mileage than many brand new "fuel efficient" crossovers. I've always wanted to see a 6 spd Excursion Diesel though... darn...

Are you going to get into the internals at all or just the topend and all the supporting goodies? I'm pretty much a newb at Diesels but I know that the Cummins stuff is ridiculously well built/reliable and I can't imagine 100k would be any more than getting broken in for one if all the things I read are correct.

edit: Also your Excursion is effing hot, that is going to be omfg ridiculous when done. I'm just curious to see what sort of fuel economy you'll get running those wheels, however I can't imagine it is THAT big of a concern for you lol.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:46 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Gee, I always wanted a Dodge truck with a 6.0. Wonder if you could mate it with a Chevy rear axle and have all the "best" stuff on one truck!

Sounds like a fun project! That Dodge sure looks small on the trailer behind the EX.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
Congrats on scoring the cummins at a great price. As stated in other threads, I'm a fan of the Cummins inline 6 cyl. The engines in that year model are great! I'll be following, keep us posted.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Hammily
Freshman User
Very nice score on the Dodge truck. I love my 2000 X Powered by a 97 12 valve

Quick Reply: Picked up a 12V Cummins for X Fummins conversion today!