1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
Gary,

Your PM box is full.
Sorry, not any more.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:59 PM
4.9L
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice build thread

Old 10-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 4.9L
Nice build thread
Thanks. Unfortunately things are quite slow right now as I wait on my turn at the body shop. And I called the upholstery shop yesterday, hoping the seats would be ready. Not until November. But, we'll get there - eventually.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:36 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know if you want to concede now on the Dad's truck vs Junior build or not, but It's up to you.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Hey, there's no upside to conceding now. And, since there is a remote chance I might win there is a downside. So, I think I'll wait, thank you very much.

Maybe a better bet would be the day Dad's truck or the Bronco is highway ready?

Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Hey, there's no upside to conceding now. And, since there is a remote chance I might win there is a downside. So, I think I'll wait, thank you very much.

Well,I hope to be somewhere in the line...Maybe before Christmas...Trav.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:35 PM
bruno2
Postmaster

I am in a Mexican standoff with the Broncos future owner right now. Only the Lord knows when that will end.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:37 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
As long as this head/compression ratio issue is taking I think you are in the running against Junior. I have that thread farmed out to about 5 different hotrod forums and it isn't going very smooth over there either.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Bruno,
Maybe you know someone with a mill or lathe?

Put some dish in the flattops and keep the squish.
If they are 0 deck, you are just about right with a .039 gasket.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by bruno2
I am in a Mexican standoff with the Broncos future owner right now. Only the Lord knows when that will end.
Future owner?

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Bruno,
Maybe you know someone with a mill or lathe?

Put some dish in the flattops and keep the squish.
If they are 0 deck, you are just about right with a .039 gasket.
I'd thought about that myself. But that would be trial and error to find out how much to take out, and then you'd have to have the engine balanced.

On the other hand, go with those pistons and use the D8 heads and the extra ~6 CC's in the combustion chamber works out the same on compression. And the only work is porting, and even with the E7's you should remove the humps.

Wait! I just hijacked my own thread!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Yaga1973
Elder User - What???

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait! I just hijacked my own thread!
Yes, yes you did!

Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Future owner?
Kris. He is refusing to get a job and work and I am not having it. He finally broke down and interviewed at Mathis Brothers furniture the other day. His Grandpa told him he would foot the bill for the front end rebuild and whatever else the Bronco needs to be reliable. I told his Grandpa he isn't spending a dime on the Bronco until he gets a job. And that's going to be that!!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by bruno2
Kris. He is refusing to get a job and work and I am not having it. He finally broke down and interviewed at Mathis Brothers furniture the other day. His Grandpa told him he would foot the bill for the front end rebuild and whatever else the Bronco needs to be reliable. I told his Grandpa he isn't spending a dime on the Bronco until he gets a job. And that's going to be that!!
I say this realizing what I'm saying - Grandpa's need to be very careful what they offer their grandkids. Mom and dad have plans, and those of GP and GM may not align with theirs. Sounds like you are taking charge. Good!

Old 10-09-2013, 11:55 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Gary, have you heard from Massey's yet?

Old 10-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, I called Massey's yesterday. Looks like it'll be November before I get the seats, but that's not a problem as the truck doesn't go in until mid-December. So that'll give me plenty of time to sort out the seat mount situation.

What seat mount situation? The line of "stuff" I've been selling that I'll use the same mounts on the passenger's side as the driver's side, replacing the ejection seat mount. Well, that was ..... ill-informed.

What's the prob? Actually, there isn't a problem on the driver's side. But, as it turns out the rails for the driver's side don't work on the passenger's side w/o swapping them, which won't work. SO, DID ALL OF THE BUCKET SEATS COME WITH EJECTOR MOUNTS ON THE PASSENGER'S SIDE, OR DID SOME COME WITH SIMPLE RAILS LIKE THOSE ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE, BUT REVERSED???

Hopefully you can see the problem in the pictures, but here's a description:
  1. This is a shot of the inside of the cab on the driver's side with the factory holes at the bottom of the picture and the inside holes marked in yellow at the top left and right. Note that the front holes are in the sloping section of the floor pan. And, that the inside front one is right on a crease. I may need to weld a reinforcing washer, suitable bent to fit the curve, on the underside of the floor.
  2. This is the bottom view of the driver's side of the cab, with the inside holes again on top and the outside holes on the bottom in the reinforcing rib. No problemo, but the inside back one is pretty close to the seat belt reinforcing washer, although that's not a problem if I just glue a reinforcing washer on the inside to spread the downward force on the seat.
  3. This shows the ejector seat base with the driver's side rails bolted onto it, using the ejector base to space the rails apart correctly. Note that the outside rear bolt is in and the base is sitting down on the floor there.
  4. Here we see the problem, Houston. The distance between the holes on the outside rail is about an inch longer than it should be, so the front of the rail isn't touching the floor. And, the inside front isn't even that close.
  5. The inside rail sits an inch off the floor at the back
  6. This shot is with the inside rail moved to the outside - it works, but then the mechanism is in the wrong spot and the seat is moved inboard 3".
  7. And this is with the ejector base installed and the back holes are about 2" shy of the factory back holes.

Attached Images        

Quick Reply: Dad's Truck Build