1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Don - It would help to have the diagram, but I think I understand. As for the fusible links, that guy seems to be pretty sure they are the way to go. Guess I'll stay with the links. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a page from the EVTM I modified in Paint. I am not good with those programs.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Perfect! I did understand, but glad you drew that. It helps to visualize it. Now, if you could point me to the wiring diagram for the 3G conversion? The one that says GONE in various places?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Here is one

Where the Megafuse is on this one is where my 120 fuse is.

Another pic

Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Cool. Thanks! But, what's the Breeze pigtail and FFR/Francis harness. Wasn't Francis a talking mule? Did he have a harness?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Just get the connector off whichever alt you get from the JY. Get as much of the orig harness as you can. The Breeze one is part of an aftermarket conversion. Same with Francis, I do believe.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Don - Thanks. I'll have to make a JY trip.

All - I promised pictures of the painted console cover. The first shot shows it laying on the original headliner and beside an original door panel. Note that the cover is darker than the original door panel, which has been sanded down to the originally-colored plastic. That's the difference between the stock red and the maroon (SEM Napa Red) I'm going with. Also, note how close the maroon is to the headliner color, which doesn't seem to have darkened as there is no light spot around the edges where the trim covered it. In fact, it is in such good shape and matches well enough that it could go right back in were it not for the change to gray. (Any darkness showing on the edges is somehow from the picture as in person the headliner looks almost perfect.)

The second shot shows the cover laying on the seat I got from Ozark1, which has a tweed similar to what I expect to go with. But, you can tell that the vinyl is "redder" than the console lid, so I want something a bit darker, more maroon.

I also explored the outside armrest on the driver's side as it was loose. Turns out the arm rests are held on with Torx bolts and that one was loose. But, in the process I found that there is an adjustment for the stop on the arm rests - a hex-headed screw that appears to be set and loctited at the factory, as shown in the next-to-last pic.

And, as shown in the last pic I removed the seat tracks so she wouldn't have to deal with them and so the seats would be easier to handle - especially since the ejector seat hardware is heavy. Along the way I twisted off one of the bolts, leaving the remainder in the seat base. Wound up drilling it out and taping it - got fortunate and the tap went back in the same threads. Anyway, notice that the seats have exactly the same #'s on them. However, the one on the left has a cable which is part of the tilt/eject mechanism. I'm guessing that the cable is part of the whole seat "system" and not reflected in the numbers we see on the bottom. (If I had a catalog, and cared, I could look that up. )

Everything is now loaded for the trip to meet Jannie at the supply house tomorrow. And, speaking of tomorrow, it is our 44th wedding anniversary. We are going to celebrate by going to see RED2. Actually, it is going to be a full day, with breakfast out with a group from church, meeting Jannie and kicking off the seat transformation process, going to RED2, and then out to dinner at our favorite steak place.

Attached Images     
Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
I would be very tempted to leave that headliner in...

Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Stangrcr1
I would be very tempted to leave that headliner in...
My wife and I talked about doing just that. But, I think I still want to change for two reasons: First, because it is 30+ year old material and glue, so I want new material up there. Second, because I want a little bit of a custom look that breaks up the sea of maroon. I think.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:53 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go with the new headliner. I would also keep it maroon. I think a gray headliner might clash with the maroon trim right next to it. When it comes to interiors, I like all one color, with minimal accent colors. But thats just my opinion. All maroon with the tweed inserts on the buckets would look sharp in my opinion.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:08 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I can sorta visualize the headliner in there and see what you mean about the trim - maroon trim around the windshield, door, etc up against the gray headliner. I'm not sure I'd say it would clash, as gray and maroon aren't like blue and green, but it would be an abrupt change in any event.

In some ways the tweed headliner would go better since it would have the maroon in it. But, I agree it would/might look busy. So, maroon would be the safe choice.

Man, decisions, decisions, decisions!

Old 07-31-2013, 11:05 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
I have a nice smooth steel headliner. Even matches body color. Very little maintenance.

But as far as yours, I think the grey headliner would stand out like a sore thumb. I have been trying to visualize a good maroon/solid grey combo and just not seeing it. I can easily picture a similar material to the seat tweed with maroon woven into it. Maybe there is a good headliner material that mixes the grey and maroon.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangrcr1
I have a nice smooth steel headliner. Even matches body color. Very little maintenance.
You're lucky, mine is cloth. Although in very good condition, it sags on days when sun isn't on the top of the cab.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:18 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Lucky? I suppose. Total base model. AM only radio. Only options were the 351W and C6. Not even an XL. I like it simple. I am surprised this truck was shipped to Alaska for initial sale. Must have been a govt vehicle. No insulation and all.

I had a Jeep Cherokee and the entire headliner sagged like a hammock when we got it. I took the headliner out and tried to glue it back up, but it started to fall again just before we sold it.

I was just picturing the same thread stitching in Gary's headliner as the seats....

Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 PM
JPalmer81
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has no headliner, just shiny red paint, I like it that way. Plus you don't ever have to worry about said headliner sagging. Stays plenty warm in the -30* weather we have up here.

Quick Reply: Dad's Truck Build