1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Bruno - I'm glad to hear that it reminds you to spend time with your parents. I mean that. That's a message I'd like to have everyone hear.

Kyle - Thanks! That helps a lot. Should be easy to track down the mounts. And, those pictures help as well.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My dad's mother had dementia as well as alzheimers . I would be willing to bet my dad ends up with it too. Sometimes it was very trying when we visited her and brought her home for the holidays. You just have to look beyond it and try to have a good time with them. When they are gone you will miss even the bad times as funny as that sounds.

I am having another issue with the Bronco now. I am going to update the Leaky Head Thread.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Brief hijack [sorry]...

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
There's not a single thing on my truck that looks that good. :-envy
What about your hubcaps???

Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, ONE of them looks good!
Even it has a couple of dents, but it was up on the shelf holding old lugnuts from what I understand.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Just got off the phone with Marshall. He's convinced me to run the bed liner on the top rails of the bed. Says it will save a huge amount of time/money as he won't have to get them perfect, and will let him line the inside of the stake pockets so I won't need the bed rails - thanks anyway, Kyle. Further, it'll protect the bed rails so when I drop something on them I won't commit suicide. (Pretty much as Jon suggested several pages ago.)

As for what I did, I pulled the octopus wiring harness as well as the dash and HVAC vents out - all except the main box. The one containing the new heater core. That's next but the coolant's gotta come out and it seems like I just put it in. In fact, it seems like I just drained, twice, and refilled another truck sitting right there in the same spot. Was that a night mare?

Here's a shot of where I've gotten, including pulling the steering column, brake and clutch pedal assembly, emergency brake assembly, cruise control, and the dash itself. I probably ought to apologize for the size of the picture. The catch on the battery compartment lid on my camera has finally broken and the batteries fall out every once in a while. And if I don't remember to reset the size each time we get bigger shots.

Question: I've been emailing with Stock Interiors re carpet. I asked if their carpet would have enough extra to cover the larger transmission tunnel, and here's what I got back:
"The production manager states he does not have a mold that matches the tunnel cover in the photo.
He looked at their molding equipment and all they have will match that original tunnel cover and not the new one that was installed."
Aren't the floor pans the same for the trucks up until some place well into the 90's? The tranny cover is from something like a '91 and fit perfectly, so wouldn't carpet for the later years fit?

Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2013, 05:03 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

They started installing ZF's in '87 Gary.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
They started installing ZF's in '87 Gary.
Yep. But the floor pan was the same through that series and into the next right? All I need to do is to match the color?

Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put a rubber floor mat from a 94 or 95 in my 83.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just finished putting in a complete 1996 carpet set in my 1986 truck. Mine had the factory removable cover even though it was an automatic as was the 96.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:54 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

The ZF hump is higher than the 4 speed one.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
So Bill & Kyle are proving that the later pans are the same. But Jim is right that the ZF hump is higher, although I'm pretty sure they have carpet for that hump. I sent Stock Interiors another note explaining that the later floor pans are the same so maybe they'll realize they have the right stuff.

And, Stock Interiors sells Auto Custom Carpets' stuff from what I've read, so I went to ACC's web site. They have "1991 FORD PICKUP REG CAB 2 WHEEL DRIVE DIESEL HI TUNNEL CARPET" listed, but I don't find the same for 4WD. So I sent them a note and hope they can help. I would think worst case I could go for the Hi Tunnel stuff and cut a hole for the t-case lever.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree Gary. The top of the bedsides are just too easy to screw up. It needs it rather you like it or not.
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Just got off the phone with Marshall. He's convinced me to run the bed liner on the top rails of the bed. Says it will save a huge amount of time/money as he won't have to get them perfect, and will let him line the inside of the stake pockets so I won't need the bed rails - thanks anyway, Kyle. Further, it'll protect the bed rails so when I drop something on them I won't commit suicide. (Pretty much as Jon suggested several pages ago.)

As for what I did, I pulled the octopus wiring harness as well as the dash and HVAC vents out - all except the main box. The one containing the new heater core. That's next but the coolant's gotta come out and it seems like I just put it in. In fact, it seems like I just drained, twice, and refilled another truck sitting right there in the same spot. Was that a night mare? It was and I am still living it!

Here's a shot of where I've gotten, including pulling the steering column, brake and clutch pedal assembly, emergency brake assembly, cruise control ,it's called speed control in the Ford's Gary and the dash itself. I probably ought to apologize for the size of the picture. The catch on the battery compartment lid on my camera has finally broken and the batteries fall out every once in a while. And if I don't remember to reset the size each time we get bigger shots.

Question: I've been emailing with Stock Interiors re carpet. I asked if their carpet would have enough extra to cover the larger transmission tunnel, and here's what I got back:
"The production manager states he does not have a mold that matches the tunnel cover in the photo.
He looked at their molding equipment and all they have will match that original tunnel cover and not the new one that was installed."
Aren't the floor pans the same for the trucks up until some place well into the 90's? The tranny cover is from something like a '91 and fit perfectly, so wouldn't carpet for the later years fit? Sounds like you are asking about something their computer cant tell them and they would have to use their melon. They don't seem to be compliant.

Last edited by ctubutis; 04-11-2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Fix quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Bruno - Yeah, I do need to protect the bed rails. I give.

And, it does seem like you are still caught in that nightmare. Sorry about that. I'll see if I can get as much of the coolant in the bucket as you did the 2nd time.

As for using their melon, maybe the vendor knows what they have and can advise me.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Mediarocker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Gary! I visited the local LKQ and just picked up a ZF5 for my truck too!

Just gotta figure out how I'm gonna make it work with my 4WD. Probably maybe going the divorced Tcase route.. or just rebuild the puppy with a 4WD shaft. CHEERS!

Old 04-12-2013, 06:32 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis

As for what I did, I pulled the octopus wiring harness as well as the dash and HVAC vents out - all except the main box. The one containing the new heater core. That's next but the coolant's gotta come out and it seems like I just put it in. In fact, it seems like I just drained, twice, and refilled another truck sitting right there in the same spot. Was that a night mare?

Here's a shot of where I've gotten, including pulling the steering column, brake and clutch pedal assembly, emergency brake assembly, cruise control, and the dash itself. I probably ought to apologize for the size of the picture. The catch on the battery compartment lid on my camera has finally broken and the batteries fall out every once in a while. And if I don't remember to reset the size each time we get bigger shots.

Aren't the floor pans the same for the trucks up until some place well into the 90's? The tranny cover is from something like a '91 and fit perfectly, so wouldn't carpet for the later years fit?
Gary, except for the color, that view looks pretty familiar.

Quick Reply: Dad's Truck Build