Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Stiff Steering question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:51 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stiff Steering question

Ok, as most might know, got a weird steering issue in my new van.

So today I jacked up the front end off the ground, fired it up, left it warming up abit first, then started turning the wheel left-right right-left, absolutely no problems with the wheels off the ground. Turns flawlessly!

I did that at least 10 times, and only once (returning to center from right) did I get a weird moaning/grind noise from the front.

So if it was a bad gear box, wouldn't it act up all the time, or only under load?

Driving it down the road, the wheel NEVER returns to center, it stays where ever you put it, and when returning it to center, from either left or right, for it to drive in a straight line without having a nasty pull, I'd have to give it a shot at the opposite direction to get it centered.

Driving straight, and turning left, it's fine, not hard to turn, but still return to center.

Driving straight, and turning right, super stiff, and doesn't return to center. Bringing it back to center, makes weird moaning/grinding noises.

Keep in mind, both lower grease caps and nipples are missing on both Kingpins. No idea how long it's been like this, but it's got pretty fresh blue grease in them.....so can't be to long.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:19 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With it jacked did you try grabbing the tires and turning them by hand, they should turn fairly easy. You may have to unhook the drag link from the steering box to determine the cause.
Have you pried on the tire with them jacked tp, to see if there is any slack in the kingpins.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:21 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
So if it was a bad gear box, wouldn't it act up all the time, or only under load?
... Honestly I don't know.

Can't remember if you've mentioned it, but what does the fluid look like? If its pristine looking, maybe the box isn't bad.

I'm still leaning towards a bad steering box, because if something was binding in the kingpins, I'd think it would feel the same in either direction as its basically just a cone rotating in another cone (kingpin rotating in bushing). Whereas the steering box is a somewhat complicated setup with a piston that goes one way for right, and the other way for left, and then a bunch of other stuff moving as well.

Granted you need to replace the grease caps, and I don't even know what that looks like on a van, but I'm pretty darn sure that replacing the steering box is a hell of a lot easier than the kingpins themselves. And probably cheaper if you're paying for the labor.

I think self centering has something to do with the caster setting of the axle and nothing to do with the kingpins, or the steering box itself. If there is sufficient friction in either, it probably won't return by itself.

By the way. I'm pretty sure any manual steering vehicle will turn with easy if its jacked off the ground. But the friction of the tire on the ground makes it tough to turn unless the vehicle is moving so part of that friction is overcome. If I'm not mistaken, power steering is mostly for reducing effort when steering at low speeds. Once you're rolling, it doesn't matter that much. What I'm trying to say is I don't think jacking it up really told you anything at all. It sounds to me more like a bad box.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:23 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
I'd guess the kingpins are sticking. Best way to tell for sure is to jack it up and take the outer tie rods off at the spindles, then you can turn the wheels by hand and see if they are binding. Its possible that one of the bearings between the knuckle and the I beam is bad and wouldnt show up with the wheels off the ground, but youd probably have a lot of up and down play in the kingpin if that were the case.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:25 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
I've never seen a bad gearbox cause memory steer.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
It has tranny oil for P/S fluid, no metal in it or anything, it is kinda dark, but doesn't smell odd or anything.

Star, the whole front end is tight on that van, no play at all anywhere! I double checked everything again today.

Tecgod, I know caster would bother the return of the wheel.

Now this van did weigh around 9000lbs loaded, and the alignment was done loaded.

Now empty, the *** end is way up in the air, and the front wheels are like this \--/

I found some rubber coil spring spacers on both sides taking up a whole wind in the coils, looks like it's to keep the front end up for back when it was loaded to keep the camber in check.

Would having the wheels like this \--/ make steering funny?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:38 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Camber out of wack wont cause memory steer. It may wander but it really sounds like your kingpins are sticking.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Doing some googling, found this:

uhmm i was out greasing the front steering and suspension about an hour ago and the driver side lower kingpin grease cap popped off as i was attempting to put some grease in

what happened ?

how do i fix it ?

do they press fit in ? or ?

why would it just pop off so easily ?

i dont think i even got a full pump of grease into it before it popped off

Reply:

I had this happen, I just cleaned the threads and screwed it back in and tighten the plug to 35-50 ft-lbs.
If it will not tighten replace the plug, base part number 3B435.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:04 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Your wheels in the position you have shown will cause steering problems.
King pins will cause memory steer.
A bad steering box can also cause it.
I don't see how, really see how kingpins can make the grinding sounds you have described, but sounds are hard to describe, is the noise similar to when you have the wheels turned to the lock position and still have pressure on the steering wheel.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 PM
ihf-350
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it actually power steering fluid that is red I forget which brand it was but when I opened it and saw that it was red I had to double check the bottleto make sure I grabbed the right stuff and I would say it is the gear box I know some people try to tighten up the box by adjusting the screw which throws off the alignment of the worm gear inside and causes it wo wear out faster

Old 12-12-2011, 06:15 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by starmilt
is the noise similar to when you have the wheels turned to the lock position and still have pressure on the steering wheel.
No not at all, that would the same type of noise as when your low on fluid, now I DOES make this sound when turning on both sides, as it seems like the P/S pump is having a hard time turning the wheels. But physically I only feel it turning right.

But the moaning grinding noise is only coming back to center from right, tomorrow if I have time, I'll find a place to mount my camera underneath the van, and go for a ride, see if we an hear something on it. I clearly hear it inside the cab!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:11 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder what would happen if you loosen the adjusting screw on the gearbox a little? I know it will loosen up the steering in general, causing more freeplay in the wheel, but maybe it will also change the grinding etc in it if it's loosened off?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
I was pondering that idea, I really don't like playing around with steering adjustments. I'll check make sure everything else before playing with the gear box screw.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Can't do much as it still raining, but I got a shot of what's missing on the lower part of the Kingpins.

Anyone know if I can get just those caps alone? And how do they hold in there?

Drivers side:

Drivers side top, did take grease no problem, was hard pushing the gun at first, but after a few pumps, went in no problem.

Passenger side lower:

Passenger side shot

Old 12-14-2011, 02:07 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
John I cant tell from the pictures, but is that the bottom of the spindle where you have that open hole or is it in the side of the I beam.

Quick Reply: Stiff Steering question