6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Blue Smoke When Cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 11:11 PM
204Superduty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Smoke When Cold

New to the site!!!! I recently bought an 04 f250 superduty with 177000 kms on it, i have since put a edge evolution 2 chip, 3.5"straight pipe, 33" mud tires on it. When the truck is chipped to economy (level 2) until both the motor and trans are running at operational temperature it shoots out blue smoke. I keep checking the oil and it hasnt gotten any lower (currently 0w 40 full synthetic). When i tune it back to stock it doesnt blow black or blue smoke, cold or not. Only other thing i can think of is plugged up egr valve but i heard that would cause white smoke not blue?? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!! By the way straight pipe sounds awesome!!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
not ur egr valve. blue smoke usually means some problem related to fuel. it might be injectors or fuel quality ur putting in there. i wouldnt use 0w40 oil in there. for full synthetic, its recommended to use 5w40. make sure the oil is cj-4 rated, cos our trucks need tat to run well. if ur tinking of using conventional oil, 15w40 and again, cj-4 rated.

welcome to the fte forum. we have a bunch of great guys who can help u out much better than i can.

also, since u mentioned ur car is chipped, it could be the tune tats messing wif the car or injectors or the fuel. one observation i made from ur great writeup is tat when u set it back to stock, she runs fine. i'd ditch the edge chip as quickly as possible. powerstrokers are pretty sensitive to weird tunes and she sounds sensitive to ur current tune.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:29 AM
204Superduty
New User
Even if temperatures drop to -30 Celsius and colder!? I think i might try a different tune for my daily driving like tow (level 3) and see if it is any different. Are you against all chips or just the edge specifically

Old 12-10-2011, 01:45 AM
dukie1877
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would get rid of the edge and go back to stock for now until you can get an sct and a custom tune Imo. Sct has had some great reviews on here and there are a few guys that come highly recommended to wright custom tunes. Check into innovative diesel or gearhead. Some of the other users that have actually used these guys might chime in. I have only read about them and have heard great things but have never used them no tuner in my truck yet.

Welcome to FTE

Old 12-10-2011, 05:58 AM
weldworks54
Senior User
My 03 will blow a puff of blue smoke on a cold start up but it's just one puff About as cold as it gets here in the south is around zero in the dead of winter as far tunes I've heard stories of turbos to head studs broke if you haven't taken proper precautions before tuning They are not telling you not to tune it but yet 1st thing I've heard and I'm no expert but to have arp head studs installed the 6.0's also you need good gauges

Old 12-10-2011, 08:50 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
agree with snuggyworm. 5w40 full synthetic is the way to go. As for the blue smoke the edge is making it run rich i would say causing it to push some raw fuel causing the blue smoke. You should be able to smell the exhaust and it will smell like diesel. I got some custom tunes coming from Eric from inovation diesel as we speak.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:17 AM
mohle
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Generally blue smoke is oil. Grey smoke is usually fuel and white smoke is either steam from combustion or coolant. If it's coolant, then you will smell it and she will normally steam like crazy.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:27 AM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mohle
Generally blue smoke is oil. Grey smoke is usually fuel and white smoke is either steam from combustion or coolant. If it's coolant, then you will smell it and she will normally steam like crazy.

^^^^ I agree.
Also there is nothing wrong with 0w-40, as long as its CI-4 or above(which I'm sure it is). The 6.0 does not need CJ-4 speced oil, although you have to look hard to find any of the older speced lube.

I am also with the "ditch the edge crowd".

Old 12-10-2011, 11:29 AM
mohle
More Turbo
The blue smoke is common when the turbo seal goes. 0W40 might be OK depending on where you are. Seeing that you posted your mileage in km, then I would say you'll be happy with the 0w40 at -30. Ford does recommend it on vehicles running in those temps.
Biggest thing is that you have a chip in it. I wouldn't be so worried about the oil, as I would be about your transmission and head gaskets. Economy is probably the only setting you can run somewhat safely, but still no guarantees.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:32 AM
mohle
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
not ur egr valve. blue smoke usually means some problem related to fuel. it might be injectors or fuel quality ur putting in there. i wouldnt use 0w40 oil in there. for full synthetic, its recommended to use 5w40. make sure the oil is cj-4 rated, cos our trucks need tat to run well. if ur tinking of using conventional oil, 15w40 and again, cj-4 rated.

welcome to the fte forum. we have a bunch of great guys who can help u out much better than i can.

also, since u mentioned ur car is chipped, it could be the tune tats messing wif the car or injectors or the fuel. one observation i made from ur great writeup is tat when u set it back to stock, she runs fine. i'd ditch the edge chip as quickly as possible. powerstrokers are pretty sensitive to weird tunes and she sounds sensitive to ur current tune.

The Ford dealers here in Alberta Canada are putting in 10W30. 15W40 is not recommended unless towing in summer heat.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:36 AM
204Superduty
New User
hmm, how do you go about checking the turbo seal? Manitoba Canada dealerships recommended 5w40 but said 0w40 would also work due to the extreme cold!

Old 12-10-2011, 11:46 AM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 204Superduty
hmm, how do you go about checking the turbo seal? Manitoba Canada dealerships recommended 5w40 but said 0w40 would also work due to the extreme cold!
Start the truck cold let it run for a couple minutes shut it off then pull the downpipe and check it and the inside of the turbo for oil residue.The fact the stock tuning is not smoking makes it look like the tuner is over fueling a bit.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:07 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Pretty much what Brickie said. The blue smoke at start up is generally from oil going seeping past the seal. Once the engine is warm and things have expanded and are flowing you probably won't see any. You are how ever burning "some", you just can't see it. You can also get some oil from the injection system, but then I think your problem would be a little more major. Look up in the Tech Folder, there should be a write up on how to clean and rebuild your turbo. Even saw the part numbers a while back.

As far as the Edge tuner goes, well I have one that I use as gauges only. Got it on clearance when the new model came out. It's the Edge Evolution, arguably safer than the Juice units. Bottom line though is that you don't really want to chip your truck unless you have done the head studs. Otherwise you are looking for a whole lot of hurt. With the big tires you have you probably are stepping on her pretty good to get her moving. In turn with the chip your cylinder pressures, boost etc... go up. Now your engine might do it 100 times, it might do it 10000 times. Each time your head bolts stretch eventually leading to failure. When you are running stock, the head bolts are not subjected to these stresses.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
A couple of years ago my 2005 was blowing blue smoke with no smell. It was the egr cooler leaking just a little and mixing with the carbon inside the intake creating the blue smoke. Didn't take long until she was blowing alot of white smoke. Tore it down and replace egr cooler and oil cooler and fixed the problem. I am not for sure but if it is full synthetic oil I don't think it will burn, it will just push it out. that gold coolant has hardly any odor to it.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:49 PM
sarnott140
Senior User
there is nothing wrong with 0w40, especially up here in Canada. It is much better for the truck when temps are as low as -40*C. I would use nothing else in the winter

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke When Cold