6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

HELP--2004 6.0 Diesel Going Dead!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Alabama Lady
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP--2004 6.0 Diesel Going Dead!!!

My husband has a 2004 6.0 Diesel that will go dead while you are driving down the road. Some say we need to replace the fuel pressure regulator.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated....The price that the Ford dealership said was CRAZY!!

Thanks

Old 12-05-2011, 04:20 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,140 Likes on 1,036 Posts
Have to tried to get the trouble codes pulled? Auto Zone will do it for free.

Refer up to the top of the 6/0 forum to check the READ FIRST threads.

You might buy a Scan Gauge II to monitor your engine to help you see what might be happening. Check Amazon's prices.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 AM
fixxxer-upper
FTE Fan

Welcome to FTE! I agree with BPofMD. The tech folder is wealth of information to begin your diagnosis. I just purchased a ScanGauge II, and it has already paid for itself with the time I am saving chasing down the 6.0 gremlins on my 04.

There are plenty of knowledgeable members here who will get you heading in the right direction. With their help, I have completed numerous repairs on my truck. A little more info on your issues would be helpful.

Good Luck!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Originally Posted by Alabama Lady
My husband has a 2004 6.0 Diesel that will go dead while you are driving down the road. Some say we need to replace the fuel pressure regulator.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated....The price that the Ford dealership said was CRAZY!!

Thanks
Last August this happened to me. Turned out to be the HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump) STC (Snap To Connect) fitting. The fitting was leaking by not allowing the HPOP to maintain the proper oil pressure. With out that pressure the engine shuts down. There was no dripping leaks or any other hint to the naked eye that this was the issue.

The specific symptoms were the following. When cold no problems starting or running. After the engine came up to temperature, while driving, the engine shut down. I was able to restart it immediately the first two times it did this. The third time it happened I had stopped at a Dunkin' Donuts, shut the truck off, went into get a coffee and came out only to have the truck crank but not start.

I had it towed to a local Sullivan Tire shop that has done alot of my maintenance, such as tires, alignments, brakes, inspections etc. A young new tech they had was trained on diesels and he was going to be looking at it. 30 minutes after getting it to the shop the truck started right up again.

The engine had cooled enough to cause the fitting to conract enough to allow proper pressure to build in the HPOP. Brandon, the technician, pressurized the system and found the leak at the HPOP STC.

I am not sure that this issue is applicable to 2004's but I am guessing it may be. Due to the location of the HPOP, the labor to get to it and the cost of the part(s) the job cost me $899.00. Parts are not that expensive but the labor (the Ford estimate is 7.5 manhours for the repair if I remember correctly) is what gets you.

I would suggest looking in that direction and as the previous two replies suggested a Scanguage or other tool to monitor codes is completely invaluable. It is almost a must have!!

Eric

Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 AM
fixxxer-upper
FTE Fan

Originally Posted by egregg57
I am not sure that this issue is applicable to 2004's but I am guessing it may be. Due to the location of the HPOP, the labor to get to it and the cost of the part(s) the job cost me $899.00. Parts are not that expensive but the labor (the Ford estimate is 7.5 manhours for the repair if I remember correctly) is what gets you.
The STC fittings began in 2005.

I have been going through a similar situation on my truck. I had a leaking D-Ring where the HPOP seats up into the cover. This was causing a loss of pressure affecting the IPR and ICP. 2 hours for tear down, $5 in parts, 2 hours to rebuild = tons of saved $

Where is the ICP sensor located on your truck? Early 04's will be located under the turbo. Later builds have the sensor relocated to the right valve cover. If the later situation applies to you, HPOP leak testing is an easier process.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Alabama Lady
New User
Thanks you guys for all the suggestions!

I told my husband all your information and he says we will get one of those gauges. But he says it's like the truck is shutting the fuel supply off while driving. Because when it goes dead and you try to crank it, it will turn over but not crank.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:17 AM
fixxxer-upper
FTE Fan

Bad ICP, clogged IPR, and/or loss of high pressure oil will also have the same symptoms. Do a search on "HPOP leak" and "no start" and you will see that it is a common issue around here. Thread with ICP information for starters.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...with-6-0l.html

Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Originally Posted by fixxxer-upper
Bad ICP, clogged IPR, and/or loss of high pressure oil will also have the same symptoms. Do a search on "HPOP leak" and "no start" and you will see that it is a common issue around here. Thread with ICP information for starters.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...with-6-0l.html
I totally Agree. Thanks for the clarification on the 2005 STC fitting!

Eric

Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 AM
fixxxer-upper
FTE Fan

Originally Posted by egregg57
I totally Agree. Thanks for the clarification on the 2005 STC fitting!

Eric
No problem. I have been soaking in every bit of info from this site for more than two years. So hopefully I can begin to give some of it back to the community.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Originally Posted by fixxxer-upper
No problem. I have been soaking in every bit of info from this site for more than two years. So hopefully I can begin to give some of it back to the community.
I have been doing the same...AND I am actually learning it! Another 5 years or so and I will have it down! I think!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Elvis40
Senior User
See if you can get a scangauge plugged into it. It will show your high pressure oil psi (or lack of) while cranking.

Hopefully its just your IPR and not the pump.