Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Need help with a fuel tank repair or swap(gasoline not diesel)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 02:29 PM
Brian Heckle
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help with a fuel tank repair or swap(gasoline not diesel)

I recently bought a 97 ranger LTX super cab short bed from a private owner. The truck is automatic(not my first choice but the price was right) v6 4.0L 125"
Last week I was driving in the mountains on a basically a jeep trail, and it caught FIRE! I was able to get it out fairly fast due to quick thinking and alot of firefighting experience in the military, otherwise it would be an empty shell on the side of the road. The whole compartment around the gas tank was on fire, above mostly around where the hoses and the fill tube is. After removing the tank and getting everything cleaned up, I need a new tank, as well as the connectors and tubes above the tank because the tank is serioyusly deformed at all the connections, and there is pitting/small bubbling on the top of the tankl. It was a miracle I was able to get it out at all! So I cannot find much info, Ford told me the part # is f57Z-9002-p, but when I look that up it comes back with an explorer tank, and looking all over I was able to find a place in New York which has tanks for 300-500$ but for local pickup only. All the tanks at the junkyards have been intentionally punctured, So I was wondering if there is a reasonably safe way to repair a punctured tank? Or if I can fit nthe ta nk from my 03 explorer in my ranger? the fuel pump is different but It looks like the same 3 colorecd wires go to the pump.....Could I just wire it in like its wired to the old pump? would that even work? Would it fit if I could get the fill and tank lines replaced? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated I've been down for a week trying to get this all figured out and am going crosseyed from looking at computer screens searching for answers.