6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FICM-V & Battery Voltage Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
According to Ford, in TSB 09-24-03 (FICM Test Procedure) Battery voltage should not drop below 10.25 for more than 60 seconds, or 9.0 for 4 seconds during cranking/starting.
Thanks, Nice to know Ford specs.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Seems like some pretty low numbers to me. Pulling two good 850cca batteries down even close to that far seems like quite a work out for them, and the alternator. Someone posted lately they leave the auto headlights, heater fan, seat warmers etc. Off until the glow plugs go off and the alternator comes on (batt volts come up). seems like a good idea.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:00 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks everyone for suggesting "ED" (as i was getting the feeling that i was just bothering some other Co.'s i wont name), Ed called me up & spent like 20 min on the phone w/me & iam sending him my FICM today.
Very nice guy to talk too & priced right

Old 12-08-2011, 12:41 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Here is what you are looking at to get the FICM out.

1. Remove the air filter box. There is a good video in the tech folder for doing this.
2. Draining coolant is optional, but in my opinion is well worth the time. Open the radiator petcock and drain about 2 gallons of coolant into a CLEAN bucket. Remove the two small hoses from top of the degas bottle, and loosen the large hose clamp on the bottom of the bottle. Then remove the two screws that hold the bottle to the cowling and remove it.
3. Here is what you'll see at that point. Stuff a rag down the turbo intake. You don't want anything dropping down that throat!

4. Remove the bracket that clamps the front of the FICM down and attaches to the intake duct. Then remove the 2 screws that hold down the rear of the FICM. This is an '06, the FICM bolts are a little different on earlier years, or so I have been told.
5. Reach under the loose FICM and disconnect the 3 harness connectors. This is the hard part, especially the first time. You want to squeeze the connector clips while you wiggle them out. Here is a shot of the connectors.

Here is a closeup of the connector. Squeeze where the white dot is placed. The same tab is on the opposite side, so squeeze them both together and wiggle the connector. It is in an oil tight socket, so it takes some wiggling to pull out.

Here is a closeup of the interlocking tab on the socket. It should help to have seen how it all works. You'll be working blind under the FICM.

6. Reinstall in the reverse. Make sure the connectors click solidly in place.
Refill with the saved coolant. It won't all go back in until you've driven the truck and worked all the bubbles out of the system. So keep it clean in a covered bucket. I can do this in less than an hour, after having done it a few times.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Rhys05
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06_KingRanch
Thanks everyone for suggesting "ED" (as i was getting the feeling that i was just bothering some other Co.'s i wont name), Ed called me up & spent like 20 min on the phone w/me & iam sending him my FICM today.
Very nice guy to talk too & priced right
Looks like "ED" is going to be getting two FICMs in short order, hoping to get mine out of the truck tonight and get it sent to him tomorrow. Stupid dealership..

Old 12-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bpounds is that your truck in the pics. I have a question about the interstate batterys. I see the number 85 on the top. Are those a group 85, Are they the same size as group 65 and how are they holding up for you.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:35 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ricson
bpounds is that your truck in the pics. I have a question about the interstate batterys. I see the number 85 on the top. Are those a group 85, Are they the same size as group 65 and how are they holding up for you.
They are MTP-65. I think the 85 is the months of warranty. Not sure without going out to look.

I've always been a supporter of Interstate brand. And I still am, but to be honest I had one fail at only 26 months. So they are not perfect, but I guess nothing is. I learned that if you have one fail on a weekend, away from home, and you need one fast, the warranty is worthless. I bought them again, but it was a disappointment in the company.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:02 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Hey "Rusty Axlerod" you & I have the exact same truck (year/color) you must have good taste too

Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Yea man love that truck! There is another one like it near me.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Rhys05
Looks like "ED" is going to be getting two FICMs in short order, hoping to get mine out of the truck tonight and get it sent to him tomorrow. Stupid dealership..
The user names on the forums make it tough (impossible really without someone giving up their own name) to know who folks are, but I'm glad that our conversation was of value to you and I look forward to taking care of you.

It's amazing how much information there is to know about these engines and all of their idiosyncrasies. Time to update the FAQ page some more.

Those were some truly excellent pictures, Bill. I may ask you about swiping them for our site, in fact. Amazingly well done. The 6.0 crowd is truly top shelf.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 12-10-2011, 12:06 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Ed, you have my permission to use the photos on your site. I just added a couple more that I think will help folks to figure out how the connector tabs work. That was the hardest part the first time I did it, but once I understood the connector, they are easy to get in/out.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:00 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Got the FICM back yesterday from "ed" & although i only took it for a short drive yesterday (i will be driving it to work today) it seemed perfect
The voltage never went under 48 (even when initally started) stayed right on 48.5 most of the time & even had a peek on 49 so i assume all will be fine now for our trip.
The dealer gave my batteries a certificate of perfect health & while truck was down i had the alternator bench tested at 2 places because of the "diode" fault the dealer seen in 1 of its many tests & it shows No problems either.
So it looks as if we are good to take off this weekend with the 5th wheel, this will be the first trip pullin camper with this truck (just got the diesel a couple months ago, i had a V10 gas'r) & iam super excited

Thanks again to "ED" for your kindness & quick/good work

Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Good deal now keep us posted on how pullen the camper goes with the 6.0 vs V-10

Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 06_KingRanch
Got the FICM back yesterday from "ed" & although i only took it for a short drive yesterday (i will be driving it to work today) it seemed perfect
The voltage never went under 48 (even when initally started) stayed right on 48.5 most of the time & even had a peek on 49 so i assume all will be fine now for our trip.
The dealer gave my batteries a certificate of perfect health & while truck was down i had the alternator bench tested at 2 places because of the "diode" fault the dealer seen in 1 of its many tests & it shows No problems either.
So it looks as if we are good to take off this weekend with the 5th wheel, this will be the first trip pullin camper with this truck (just got the diesel a couple months ago, i had a V10 gas'r) & iam super excited

Thanks again to "ED" for your kindness & quick/good work
It's always a good feeling to finish working on a module knowing that someone was helped.

Thanks very much for the business, sure, but thanks even more for the support!

Now to find the time to incorporate Bill's pics on the site...

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 12-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Rhys05
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5030tinkerer
It's always a good feeling to finish working on a module knowing that someone was helped.

Thanks very much for the business, sure, but thanks even more for the support!

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com
You should be getting mine today Ed, USPS tracking shows that it is on the truck for delivery.

Quick Reply: FICM-V & Battery Voltage Question