6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Using diesel kleen and howes at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:27 PM
dhag911
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Using diesel kleen and howes at the same time

On my last fillup i had put some diesel kleen in and now the tempertures are suppose to get to the low teens and im going to be driving my pickup to work since we are getting snow. I was wondering if it is ok to to use howes and diesel kleen at the same time in the same tank? we have not been getting blended fuel yet

Old 12-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
I wondered the same thing myself....

Howe's Diesel Treat is more of a lubricator than it is a cetane booster; Diesel Kleen is more of a Cetane booster than a lubricator...

I wouldn't think there would be any harm, but lets see what the consensus is.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:18 PM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have used Howe's together with Diesel Kleen or Stanadyne many times. I routinely run either Stanadyne or Diesel Kleen in all my trucks, and add the Howe's when I have it.

The trucks always seem to light the best, even in cold weather, when they have both in the fuel.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by SoCalSuperDuty03
The trucks always seem to light the best, even in cold weather, when they have both in the fuel.
This man speaks the truth...

Yesterday I was at half tank and topped off with a mixture of Diesel Kleen (40 gal) and some Howe's (recommended dosage). It started and drove well, but this was during the day...

The proof came this morning when it was 38 degrees; I cycled the glow plugs twice, tuned the key and it fired as if it were a warm summers day. The drive to work this morning was even more pleasant as the throttle response was smoother and more responsive.

I got to work, parked, and listened to the injectors for a min and they really seem to like the mixture.

Therefore, the consensus (as far as I'm concerned): mixing Diesel Kleen and Howe's Diesel treat is a good thing to do in cold or hot weather.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:37 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't worry about raising the cetane rating of the fuel too high. The effects plateau out above 55 or so. The injectors will like the extra lube.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
I don't want to take anything away from using both products but once the temps go down, you should be using the Diesel Kleen in the white bottle. The gray bottle is the normal product and they add an anti-gel for cold temps in the white bottle.

Joe

Old 12-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
First Freeze

This morning I came outside to find this on my truck:

Name:  IMG_2938.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  88.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2939.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  106.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2940.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  97.3 KB

After cycling the key three times, with the mixture of Diesel Kleen (gray bottle) and Howe's, it started up nice and smooth even though it was *29 degrees out.

Btw, see all that ice on the windshield? Screw having to scrape it all off, this stuff works! Normally when you turn on your windshield wipers and use the washer fluid, it freezes, but this stuff got rid of the ice in no time at all!

Name:  Rain X.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  82.0 KB

Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Btw, see all that ice on the windshield? Screw having to scrape it all off, this stuff works! Normally when you turn on your windshield wipers and use the washer fluid, it freezes, but this stuff got rid of the ice in no time at all!

Attachment 44979
I not only run that in my washer reservoir...I also "Rain-X" my windshield once a month. Great stuff...snow and frost don't stick and I seldom run the wipers when running down the interstate while it's raining. Yeah it takes me 30 minutes to clean, apply & wipe off the Rain-X on the windshield and front two windows; but it's worth it. The only time I clear my windshield of snow is when it's piled up over night and gotten too much for the wipers to handle.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:05 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
I have to wonder about this "cycling the key" thing. I don't get it.

I go out, turn the key on, wait for the glow plug light to go out and crank it over. It starts every time and, so far, the lowest I've done this at is 0 degrees with no block heater.

If you have to keep the glow plugs on so long to get it to start, it seems to me that something is wrong.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
I have to wonder about this "cycling the key" thing. I don't get it.
Mine always starts the first time I turn the key, I just like to make it easier for it to fire when it's cold out.

Should have some frigid tempuratures on the morrow, I'll do things your way and even youtube it

Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Idahoser
Tuned
I don't think you're helping. I think you're wasting battery.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:54 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Even thought the light goes out the gp's stay on app. 2 min. You'r really not helping anything cycling the key except wearing out the cylinder lock.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 69cj
Even thought the light goes out the gp's stay on app. 2 min. You'r really not helping anything cycling the key except wearing out the cylinder lock.
Actually he is helping the engine get warmer...just by the amount of time it's taking for the light to "time out" the 2nd time. It's the length of time the GP are on that are helping. But I agree, the truck should start after the light goes out the 1st time.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 PM
FNGtoDiesel
New User
Does colder weather effect fuel mileage? Forgive me I'm new to diesels. I'm here to learn.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Welcome to FTE.
Originally Posted by FNGtoDiesel
Does colder weather effect fuel mileage? Forgive me I'm new to diesels. I'm here to learn.
Some what, most places start selling what's called "winter fuel"...supposed to have anti-gel mixed in. It doesn't burn as well as what is called "summer fuel" so your mileage will be down some. Add to that if you idle your truck extra for it to warm up...that burns more diesel. I can just about point to it on my fuel log when the change takes place...I usually loose about 1 to 2 mpg when it happens.

Quick Reply: Using diesel kleen and howes at the same time