6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Battery Tender or Battery Minder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Tender or Battery Minder?

Looking at this on board mountable Battery Tender charger here.
Waterproof Power Tender Plus 12V @ 5A - Automotive - Batterytender.com
I have 2 new AGM Optima Red tops. Is 5 amp charge too much as I see most others doing 1.5amp. If so, the next step is the Battery Minder which also does AGM batteries but has a little more on it than I'm looking for:
BatteryMINDer® 12-Volt 2, 4, or 8 Amp Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-Conditioner w/ABS-248 | All | Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com

Planning on doing the Marinco plug in the bumper for the block heater & the charger. Not sure yet if I should go with separate Marinco plugs or one for heater & charger. Any thoughts?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 AM
rsmarcil
Freshman User
I have this same one and am very happy with it. That's the one the folks at Battery Tender recommened since you are maintaining two batteries. I bought mine through Amazon for much less.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:23 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
I don't think 5 amps is too much, since the Battery Tender is a controlled charger, it will determine the voltage based on whether the batteries need charged or maintained. Given that, I prefer the battery minder. Theoretically, at least, it will help your batteries last longer. The one I'm using on a deep cycle has been sitting for 5 years now and the battery still works as good as new.

I would do separate plugs. If you need to let the truck sit, you want to be able to maintain the battery without running the block heater. The block heater doesn't need to run all the time and draws a lot of electricity.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
Thank u David & rsmarcil. Perfect point David, definitely going with 2 Marinco plugs.The Battery Minder does look superior. My concern is the AGM batteries. The Battery Minder does have a switch to choose what battery type you are charging. The Battery Tender does not so my question would be how does it know? Here is the Battery Minder up close........
http://www.batteryminders.com/batter...ages/12248.jpg

Last edited by Special Ed; 12-01-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: add link
Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Craig.Parks
Senior User
I have been using the battery tender charger for 4 years to keep my jet ski batteries charged. One of the skis has an AGM battery, one is a traditional battery. The battery tender has worked well for both types.

I also have a sears/craftsman mounted in the truck that I plug in occasionaly when i use the block heater.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Thanks Craig. Still researching here & hope to pull the trigger soon.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Im getting down to the wire here guys. Gotta order something tonight. I really would like to do the Battery Minder but it not being meant for mounting in the truck is really not leaving me with much of a choice. The manufacture states it will be allright buy I don't know with all the heat, vibration, humidity, etc & it not being sealed like the Battery Tender. I'd hate for it to malfunction due to the enviroment & I end up with a big .

Old 12-05-2011, 12:01 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Read the "features" tab on the battery minder.

Watertight enclosure with conformal-coated protected circuitry.
And it has mounting tabs. It looks like it was designed to mount.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:22 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
This is the one I'm looking at David & all I see is water resistant. Website also states for "benchtop use". I do see the tabs for mounting. I was told by Battery Minder it would be better mounted in the cab. I don't know if I wanna do that.
http://www.batteryminders.com/batter...M-p-16179.html

Last edited by Special Ed; 12-05-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Forgot the link
Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

That one says it is for AGM batteries. How about this one. It is designed to be mounted and is water tight with the same protected circuits as the other one.

BatteryMINDer® 12 Volt 1.5A OnBoard Battery Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator/Conditioner Model 12151 | Automotive Battery Chargers | Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com

Old 12-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
When I talked to the rep I did inquire on that particular model at first because looks like that is their only robust "onboard" charger they offer. They told me because I have AGM batteries (Optimas) that it would not charge my batteries to their full potential nor float them at the higher voltage that is required. Looks like this one may be my best bet for whats out there.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:41 AM
RickBraden
Tuned

Maybe a silly question but do you need 2 of these since we have 2 batteries? Thank you.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Special Ed
When I talked to the rep I did inquire on that particular model at first because looks like that is their only robust "onboard" charger they offer. They told me because I have AGM batteries (Optimas) that it would not charge my batteries to their full potential nor float them at the higher voltage that is required. Looks like this one may be my best bet for whats out there.
I missed that you had AGM batteries. So you need the AGM one, or the first one you linked. This one.

BatteryMINDer® 12-Volt 2, 4, or 8 Amp Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-Conditioner w/ABS-248 | All | Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com

It's quite a bit more expensive, though.

Originally Posted by RickBraden
Maybe a silly question but do you need 2 of these since we have 2 batteries? Thank you.
As long as both batteries are the same (which they should be) one will do.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
The only difference is in the software. Reg one floating at 13.2 or the AGM float 13.7 I don't see it to be that important when we are talking half a volt do you?

Quick Reply: Battery Tender or Battery Minder?