1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 AM
charleshatherley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny problems

so i have a 1994 ford ranger with a 2.3 L manual transmission this morning i slipped into a ditch which wasn't terrible but after being pulled out by a kind gentleman with a dodge things got weird.

So at first i was in nutrual and it wanted to go forward and after stalling and resarting it ideled then first worked but not second so tried to go back to first but it wasnt working. So i went to third let the clutch out a little and then back to first and it worked. but still no second. Third fourth and over drive work always same as reverse my friend is saying clutch plate any ideas ? need to get this going asap

Old 11-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Ruffinit
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your clutch is working in all gears except 2nd or in any gears, it isn't a clutch problem.

If your tranny is working in all gears but 2nd, then you have a problem with your transmission. Second gear specifically. Was it in 2nd when you went into the ditch?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by charleshatherley
so i have a 1994 ford ranger with a 2.3 L manual transmission this morning i slipped into a ditch which wasn't terrible but after being pulled out by a kind gentleman with a dodge things got weird.

So at first i was in nutrual and it wanted to go forward and after stalling and resarting it ideled then first worked but not second so tried to go back to first but it wasnt working. So i went to third let the clutch out a little and then back to first and it worked. but still no second. Third fourth and over drive work always same as reverse my friend is saying clutch plate any ideas ? need to get this going asap
Originally Posted by Ruffinit
If your clutch is working in all gears except 2nd or in any gears, it isn't a clutch problem.

If your tranny is working in all gears but 2nd, then you have a problem with your transmission. Second gear specifically. Was it in 2nd when you went into the ditch?
I agree with him^^^^^^^ I don't think it is the clutch if it works in some gears.......this might be a long shot but any chance you screwed up the shifter in the cab..........

Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM
charleshatherley
New User
what do you mean by messed it up in the cab ?

To add too the diagnoses here when the truck is in nutural and going down a hill the rpms rise and fall.

my other friend is thinking linkages in the tranny cause the shifter goes directly into the tranny ? does it sound easier to just get a new/used tranny and switch it out or try to fix this one? if i take the shifter off the top of the tranny will i be able to see anything in the tranny ?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you went into the ditch did you grab the shifter to hold onto ? if you did you could have tweaked some thing in there !

Old 11-30-2011, 12:57 PM
charleshatherley
New User
well i was holding onto it but not for inpact reasons i was hoping to save it and knew id have to drop a gear i cant remember exactly but i bielve i clutched as i went in to i dont understand how i hurt the tranny

Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pull the shifter out and see if there is any damage , bushings , bent forks ?

Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM
charleshatherley
New User
how do you get the bolt out of the shifter hammer it out ? or just go for the allenkeys under them and if thats the cause do i still have to pull the tranny ?

Old 11-30-2011, 01:29 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
how do you get the bolt out of the shifter hammer it out ? or just go for the allenkeys under them and if thats the cause do i still have to pull the tranny ?
you dont have to pull the tranny .......remove the screws holding down the boot.....the shifter is held on by a weird "bolt on one side wedge". remove the bolt and replace it on the other side then tighten it up and it will brake the wedge.........here is a link with pictures the link will start on the first picture. go through the next few and it shows the process https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...160406&width=0 after the boot and shifter are off the stub is held on with 3 torx ? remove that and look for some damage to that stub thing.....inside the tranny there are 3 "levers" they should all be lined up so the notch is all in a row...... use a screwdriver to move the levers even if they are not......hopefully you broke the stub thing **** and will just need a kit.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:39 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
my guess is that if it is not that shifter then you fubared something inside. a clutch issue would be consistent in all gears....if you get it fixed make sure you report back for future members reading the thread...........also on your year the M5OD had plugs at the top of the tranny that fail.......they leak.......look around and check yours out while you are there

Old 11-30-2011, 01:49 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
This site does not let you create a signature until you have 25 quality posts......it is a totally stupid rule........when you get the 25 create a sig like mine....trust me.it encourages members to help you out.....If we think you are trying well then we will try and help you

Old 11-30-2011, 10:39 PM
charleshatherley
New User
Alright so dropped the tranny and took the cover off and found that there was like a pin that held one of the parts that shifts gears had come out so it wasnt sliding anymore. so ive decided to get a new one from a scraper and keep this one as a project. Taking it out took way longer then i think it should have taken me but i guess for a first time wasnt terrible.I cant wait to get the new one installed and drive again.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:49 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Alright so dropped the tranny and took the cover off and found that there was like a pin that held one of the parts that shifts gears had come out so it wasnt sliding anymore. so ive decided to get a new one from a scraper and keep this one as a project. Taking it out took way longer then i think it should have taken me but i guess for a first time wasnt terrible.I cant wait to get the new one installed and drive again.
obviosly you want to spend the extra money and replace the disc, pressure plate, and slave......as well as the pilot bearing if you can get it out?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
can you take a picture of the pin? is it one of the 2 pins that hold the shifter in place right at the opening of the tranny(where you pull the stub of) and if not in retrospect did you need to pull the tranny to access this pin you are talking about?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
in picture #5 of this link TRS Magazine - Shifter Bushing Replacement you can see apin on each side of the opening that get knocked back to replace the bushings......is the pin on the left the one that is broke or missing?

Quick Reply: tranny problems