Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing rear leaf springs (partial): what to do with c-clip bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:27 PM
outdoorfan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing rear leaf springs (partial): what to do with c-clip bracket?

I'm doing a hybrid, using the top leaf from my '95 f150 and using the bottom four off of an f250. The problem is I don't know what to do with that c-clip bracket thingy that holds the bottom 3-4 springs together. I suppose I can grind it off of the pack on the f150, but then what do I use as an alternative to hold those bottom ones together once I have the hybrid pack put together?

Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Why in the world would you want to do this?

Old 11-28-2011, 02:40 PM
outdoorfan
Senior User
That way I don't have to mess with the front and rear shackles/hangers/rusty bolts, etc (by leaving the top leaf intact).

Old 11-28-2011, 03:06 PM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't necessarily agree with what you're doing, but those "C" pieces bend pretty easily after heating them up with a torch.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:03 PM
andym
Post Fiend
I'm honestly surprised that I have to explain this, but the question was, "Why in the world would you want to make your own leaf spring pack out of F-150 and F-250 spring leaves?"

Old 11-28-2011, 04:20 PM
outdoorfan
Senior User
Originally Posted by White Max
I don't necessarily agree with what you're doing, but those "C" pieces bend pretty easily after heating them up with a torch.
Yes, I just realized (after playing around with them some more) that they do bend even without heat. Thank you.

Qustion: Why don't you agree with this? Is there some hazard I'm overlooking?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:25 PM
outdoorfan
Senior User
Originally Posted by andym
I'm honestly surprised that I have to explain this, but the question was, "Why in the world would you want to make your own leaf spring pack out of F-150 and F-250 spring leaves?"
Ok, it's like this. I have a rear leaf spring pack out of a 1990 F250. My '95 F150 is sagging, and it only has the 4-pack. The F250 had the 5-pack. I don't want to replace the upper spring 'cause it's the one with the shackles/hangers on it. So, I'm just swapping the bottom four, or in essence adding one more leaf. What's wrong with that?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:27 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by outdoorfan
Not that you've answered my question yet, but I'll answer yours:

Springs are made to work together and to function as one piece. When you break those pieces apart and mix together leaves that aren't designed to work together, you might or might not have unexpected consequences. For example if you have really stiff leaves on the bottom and a much softer one at the top, most of the flexing is going to happen in the part of the top leaf that sits between the end of the last spring on the bottom and the shackle mount. This will fatigue the metal and that leaf might fail at some point.

I'm not saying this will happen to you if you do this. What I'm saying is that I really doubt there is a good reason that you're doing this, except maybe to save a few bucks, and trying to save a few bucks by doing this is not a smart idea.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Plain Jane
Senior User
did you make sure the leafs are the same width? I thought the springs on the f-250 were 1/2 wider, so you wouldn't be able to get them into the smaller shackle. Also are you sure that this would correct the sag? could you just use a shim kit?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:06 PM
outdoorfan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Plain Jane
did you make sure the leafs are the same width? I thought the springs on the f-250 were 1/2 wider, so you wouldn't be able to get them into the smaller shackle. Also are you sure that this would correct the sag? could you just use a shim kit?
F150 4x4 are the same width as F250. Adding a leaf will correct things somewhat. No question about that.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:09 PM
outdoorfan
Senior User
Originally Posted by andym
Not that you've answered my question yet, but I'll answer yours:

Springs are made to work together and to function as one piece. When you break those pieces apart and mix together leaves that aren't designed to work together, you might or might not have unexpected consequences. For example if you have really stiff leaves on the bottom and a much softer one at the top, most of the flexing is going to happen in the part of the top leaf that sits between the end of the last spring on the bottom and the shackle mount. This will fatigue the metal and that leaf might fail at some point.

I'm not saying this will happen to you if you do this. What I'm saying is that I really doubt there is a good reason that you're doing this, except maybe to save a few bucks, and trying to save a few bucks by doing this is not a smart idea.

Thanks for your opinion. I want to do this to correct a miner sag, lift things a tad more than stock, and provide a little more hauling ability (not a lot, just a little).

I'm pretty sure all the leafs, except the bottom thicker one, are all 5/16".

Old 11-28-2011, 05:10 PM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by outdoorfan
I don't have an issue with building your own spring packs, it's just that if the current ones are sagging that badly, you can bet that the top leaf is "done".

Old 11-28-2011, 05:13 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No matter how many good stiff springs you put in, your strength is still as much as the old main leaf can support at the ends!!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 PM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
No matter how many good stiff springs you put in, your strength is still as much as the old main leaf can support at the ends!!!!
^^^Exactly.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Plain Jane
Senior User
forget what I said about a shim kit, I thought you were talking about "bed sag" rather than worn out leaf springs. Wouldn't it be just as easy to simply put the entire f250 springs on the f150? that way you could also put some por 15 on the hangers while they are down and not have to worry about them for a while. Also I don't know how much lift you would get. they would definitely be stiffer with a load in the back but the stance of the rear (w/no load) would seem to be dictated more by the condition of the old main leaf, as white 97 xlt pointed out. Or you could run into the opposite issue: the f250 springs, or even the mix spring pack that you are proposing might give you too much lift. I dunno, just thinking out loud, good luck!

Quick Reply: Replacing rear leaf springs (partial): what to do with c-clip bracket?