Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tool question...

Old 11-27-2011, 11:14 PM
nookiemonster55
Senior User
nookiemonster55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
tool question...

Well I have been tinkering with idea since xmas time around....I have a nice ingersoll rand 20 gallon 2 hp air compressor with the goodies.....
Been looking online at a cordless rachet and curious as to how well they perform, battery life torque ect and curious if anyone here uses them.

I know I could probably buy 10 cheapies at harbor freight, but just nice to pick it up and start wrenching with it...

MERRY XMAS!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Robert6401
Postmaster
Robert6401 is a splendid one to beholdRobert6401 is a splendid one to beholdRobert6401 is a splendid one to beholdRobert6401 is a splendid one to beholdRobert6401 is a splendid one to beholdRobert6401 is a splendid one to behold
I'm confused, are you looking for battery powered or pneumatic?

We have both, the battery powered is awesome for smaller jobs like removing hose clamps, but doesn't have tons of torque. We probably use it most often, though. It's a Skil brand. Not sure of the voltage or battery type, but it has good battery life. It looks like this one, but I can't swear its the same one:

http://www.amazon.com/Skil-2372-01-7.../dp/B000P7MAGU

We have varying sizes of pneumatic depending on how much torque is needed. One in particular will just about break your wrist if you aren't careful.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM
nookiemonster55
Senior User
nookiemonster55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have pneumatic 3/8 rachet and using quarter inch adapter....seems like you said, most of my stuff i use it for is little stuff like most of the stuff on the top half of engine. I have purchased 2 of the flimsy 1/4 inch pneumatics from harbor freight and they just dont hold up, and that 3/8 can be a bit bulky,

Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
jkidd_39 has a great reputation on FTE.jkidd_39 has a great reputation on FTE.jkidd_39 has a great reputation on FTE.jkidd_39 has a great reputation on FTE.jkidd_39 has a great reputation on FTE.jkidd_39 has a great reputation on FTE.
cordless ratchets don't work like an impact wrench. I would go with mac or snap-on in the case of these types of tools..
here is a snap on air ratchet for $125.. pretty good deal.. lifetime warranty..
AT203, Ratchet, Air, 1/4" Drive (250 in. lb.)

Old 11-29-2011, 06:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
My experience has been the cordless impacts are great for running the nuts on or off the bolts after they are broke loose, or up to the point where they need to be torqued down. It will save you a lot of turning on the hand ratchet. For half the price of a battery powered impact, you can get an air impact that will outperform it, but not be as portable.

OK, I'm going to hijack a little now.

I'm looking for a good air impact myself. My old craftsman is just too tired. Looking for the typical 1/2" drive. Prefer made in the US, or at least assembled in the US, or Canada or Mexico if any of that is possible.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN
Jmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputation
Ingersol is good, Snap on makes a killer electric impact wrench now too. Of course any Snap on or Mac is nice.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:54 PM
woodnthings
Postmaster
woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
I have a set of the Bosch PS series tools for woodworking. One of them is the Bosch PS40-2A Impact Driver. It is not a ratchet, but it is pretty compact and since it is an impact it works very well on bolts under 9/16". It can do bigger bolts, but starts to struggle. I really shave a ton of time using it when swapping up-pipes out and doing my intercooler boots. Price is pretty affordable too at around $125.

Here is the Amazon Link

Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 PM
rugbytom
New User
rugbytom is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have to agree with the snap on, Mac route. Once you use either one (impact or air ratchet) everything else is just that. Everything else. They will last eons longer as well. My old ones grew legs long before they broke, funnily enough they walked right to the pawn shop.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:07 PM
JOHN2001
Postmaster
JOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by nookiemonster55 View Post
I have a nice ingersoll rand 20 gallon 2 hp air compressor with the goodies.....
If you got it at lowes didnt it come with one? I bought one a couple months back and I couldnt be happier with it. This is the one I bought , its a pretty good deal if you ask me. Dont ever buy an air compressor from Menards!!!!! I bought 1 similar and returned it twice, took my money and went to Lowes http://www.lowes.com/pd_340269-43657-HJ300299DI_4294795218+5003701_4294937087_?productI d=3341296&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_produc t_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_200%2B4 00_4294795218%2B5003701_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_produ ct_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_do llar%7C1&facetInfo=$200 - $400
My link isnt working for some reason

Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.
the only impact i own and will ever buy is ingersoll rand. most matco guns are IR's. Most powerful guns i have used and I have used many kinds including snap on's loud and heavy guns.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 AM
SteveH-CO
Posting Guru
SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.
The IR 231 is a venerable pneumatic gun - the tire shops use these. Wait until a lightly-used one gets stale at a pawn shop and get it for $35-$50. I have used mine for 15 years and it's not the torquiest thing in the world, but it gets the job done 99% of the time. It may need a rebuild - who knows. Even new, the 231 (and it's successors) are around $200.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
I have a IR thunder gun like the NASCAR guys use. Very pricey at $280 but there hasn't been anything it will not take off yet. And it does help that I only had to pay for half. Does take a lot of air though. I have a 60 gallon compressor so it works great for me.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
OK, I have to show my arsenal.
Matco, IMO makes the best air impact.
Tried Snap-on, Mac, IR, and I have found that Matco does the best job.
The 3/8 and 1/2 inch are both about 5 years old and I've never had to do any repairs to them at all.
The 3/4 is a new aquisition and it will pull the 46mm Vanagon axle nuts off when a 1/2 inch gun will rattle for a long time to the point you are worried about breaking the anvil inside which I have done many times over the years trying to get those huge stubborn nuts off.
Snap-on makes the best electric impact.
Mine will pull the lug nuts off of my F550.
Don't have a picture of that one, it's stored in my truck right now.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Oh and what I like the best about those Matco air guns is the fact they don't weight a lot. Very easy to handle and they are not excessively loud like most of them.
They've done a great job of muffling the sound without compromising on the power generated.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:26 PM
megawatt00
Post Fiend
megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
My experience has been the cordless impacts are great for running the nuts on or off the bolts after they are broke loose, or up to the point where they need to be torqued down. It will save you a lot of turning on the hand ratchet. For half the price of a battery powered impact, you can get an air impact that will outperform it, but not be as portable.

OK, I'm going to hijack a little now.

I'm looking for a good air impact myself. My old craftsman is just too tired. Looking for the typical 1/2" drive. Prefer made in the US, or at least assembled in the US, or Canada or Mexico if any of that is possible.
They are not to bad to rebuild Chris, most of the times when they are getting weak the vanes inside need to be replaced. We use air tools at work all the time mostly grinders, at any point in time I may have 2 to 3 in the shop that need to be repaired. They used to send them out now I do them in house.

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead View Post
Oh and what I like the best about those Matco air guns is the fact they don't weight a lot. Very easy to handle and they are not excessively loud like most of them.
They've done a great job of muffling the sound without compromising on the power generated.
I just bought an IR 1" Drive, (at work) it is a monster and is very heavy this thing is a torque monster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tool question...

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.