General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Guide to Smoking; How to quit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:41 AM
BigB9000
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guide to Smoking; How to quit.

I did a little experiment with my friends. My results were quite good, even by some who mocked me and my subjects during my trials.
This study of mine will need more thought, research, better writing, and time. But I think Im on to the right start. From what I have seen so far, it works. But, it isn't cheap.
If you're a smoker, you might want to give this some thought:

There are a few different ways to go about doing this. Probably the best way would be to just stop.
But, for most that is probably the absolute hardest way to do it.
If you can - do it.
Otherwise, you can use the process detailed below. It is a method, used and proven successfully by over 3 people,
and backed my exhausting minutes of research, and personal testimony.

Step 1, Day 1-
Buy your self an Electronic Cigarette, or E-Cig. Reason for this isn't to stop your addiction, but merely change it to something more manageable, along with being vastly healthier for you than cigarettes.
E-Cigs vary in types, strengths, colors, flavors; Offered in Kits, or disposables. Depending on how quickly you want to stop smoking will depend on what kind you go with.
Learning about the E-Cig isn't to hard, I will discuss it in short here.
You have a Battery, an atomizer, and the cartridge.
Battery - obviously powers the unit. (USB battery charger is most common in the kits)
Atomizer - Heats or 'atomizes' the cartridge
Cartridge - contains what you are going to smoke.
Newer styles have the cartridge and atomizer in one, leaving you with only 2 pieces.
A disposable E-Cig is one piece, not refillable.
Probably one of the strongest 'hitting' ciggys we tested contained an 18mg dose of Nicotine, most common we have found was a 16mg which is the "red" or 11mg which is the "light"
For this study we have use 2 brands of E-Cigys. The most common/popular the Blu, and the less known Cigirex.

Step 2, Day 1-
Tonight, after you have the last cigarette before you go to sleep, flush your reaming ciggys down the toilet or sink.
If you don't, when you make the switch to the E-Cig, you wont be too fond of it, and still wanting a real cigarette (but not craving as badly) research shows that if you have access to the cigarettes, you'll just go dig them out of the trash.

Step 3, Day 2-
You have now gotten 8 hours of sleep, but more importantly, gone 8 hours without a cigarette.
You no longer have the taste of cigarettes in your mind, or on your breath.
You can now go about your normal routine, shower, make breakfast, or whatever you do.
Most smokers usually have a routine about the first smoke of the day- get your morning beverage, and light one up.
Well, you quit real ciggys, so you no longer have that routine. Do something different first, then smoke your E-cig.
They say 12 hits of the E-Cig equals a normal cigarettes. Some of the people who have used this method, only took 2 or 3 hits the first time. Some, took 25. However you want to get used to it is fine, so far it has been different with everyone.
But, always keep in mind, you quit real cigarettes. You don't want or need a real cigarette.
The rest of this read will not mention you ever smoking a real cigarette, because you don't anymore! Don't give into temptation, avoid smokers if possible, the smell will lure you in.

Step 4, Day 3-5
This step cant really have a day associated with it, as everyone is different. For my first study Mr R, was done with smoking cigs after day 2. My second subject, Mr T, didn't stop craving real cigarettes until day 4.
Mr R bought 2 'original tobacco' Blu E-Cigs, where Mr T bought the Cigirex kit, and a refill pack until he was ready.
(refill pack had 5 cartridges)

Step 5, Day 6-
So, you quit real cigarettes, and are now hooked on E-Cigs. But, you feel better. Your ash tray (if you still have it) is empty, your lighter is dusty (if you even know where it is) you, your car, and your home smells better. You taste things different, your sense of smell is a little better, and you feel...awake.
You should also notice, you don't crave the E-Cig NEARLY as much as you did a real cigarette. You can go 4-6 hours in the morning before you even pick up your E-Cig. When you're busy thorough the day, you don't really crave the E-cig. If you do, 1 puff and you're fine for another few hours.
Now, the tricky part. Quitting the nicotine of the E-Cig.
Mr R struggled with this, where Mr T, had no problem at all.

Blu and Cigirex both offer a No Nicotine brand. That is what you are going to switch over to, so go find some, and buy them.
The change over is going to be similar to your change from Cigs to E-cigs, but easier.

Nicotine is addictive, but much more manageable of an addiction than cigarettes, similar to an addiction to soda.
with the 0mg E-Cig, you are somewhat tricking your mind into thinking you're smoking, and you kind of are, but nothing addictive.

After a few days of Smoking the 0mg E-Cig (or 'Aqua Cig' as I call it)
Your nicotine and cigarette addiction is gone. Now its all habit. You are SO used to the physical motion of smoking, you will still want to smoke the Aqua Cig, but its not killing you like ciggys were.

Day 9- Habits.
This is the difficult part.
Mr R - is still Smoking Aqua Cigs, and has no intention to stop, because he enjoys it. (more on this if you ask)
Mr T - Just stopped all together, without going crazy, just got a little bored. He found cleaning the garage for a day handy before he forgot about the smoking motion.
Mr R's Mom. Heavy smoker for 25 years. Went from Cigarettes to Aqua-Cigs, and stopped in 3 days all together.
Mr T's Friend - The habit was hard for him, he had to change everything he did to break the smoking habit motion.
Changed his commute to work, what he would make for breakfast, where he bought gas, what he drank (no more soda, monster, or coffee) and when he went to bed.
Mr B - Told about the process by Mr T, bought a Kit of Cigirex, 3 days of Cigirex and he wasn't craving anything.
Mr B's 3 brothers all quit in less than a week.
Mrs A - 4 days.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:47 AM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this, Think I'll try it. Thanks!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Chantix worked for me.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:17 AM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fz1dave
Chantix worked for me.
I tried Chantix once before, Stuff gave me dreams that were so out there I needed on once I woke up.....But it did work until my wife walked out with damn near everything.........

Old 11-21-2011, 12:59 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

You forgot the single most important factor in quitting: The desire to quit. Without the desire to quit smoking, you will find a reason to light up.

I like the research, though. Good job!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:20 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
What Stu said. If you really, truly, deep down, don't actually want to quit, you ain't gonna quit. You can't do it for your kids, your wife (husband), girlfriend (bf), etc. It has to be what YOU want to do.

When I quit I used one of these.

Amazon.com: LifeSign QuitKey Smoking Cessation Computer: Health & Personal Care

You start out for a week or two smoking like usual, pushing the button every time you smoke. Then it goes to phase 2. First thing in the morning it says to wait 1 minute to smoke. Next day 2 minutes, so on. Then throughout the day it says have a smoke in 30 minutes, then 31 minutes, etc. The times are based on how much you smoked during the first couple weeks. It weans you off over a period of 2 to 3 weeks. At the end, you're down to one or two a day, then just one and then it's pretty easy to quit just that one.

IF you want to quit enough to follow the timer, it works. At least it did for me.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

Desire is the key. I went the cold turkey route. 4PM March 20, 2009 was my last smoke. Best, CB

Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I smoked my last damned good cheap cigar at 6:00 P.M. on my 57th birthday. The birthday really had nothing to do with. Just the day I decided I as done. Now, the thought of possible living a bit longer seems to fit right well with my future plans.

The hardest part for me was not buying the damned things in the first place.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:43 AM
4dfan
Senior User
I went cold turkey about 10 years ago. Threw out half a pack of smokes. But you only get one life.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:30 AM
danorules
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fz1dave
Chantix worked for me.
agreed, i recommend it all the time. its the only thing that helped me (and my wife)

Old 11-24-2011, 04:38 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Cold turkey worked for me but my wife had to use quite a cocktail of crutches to quit and in the end, she won the battle. I've been quit for 15 years and my wife for nearly 11 years.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:09 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by 4dfan
I went cold turkey about 10 years ago. Threw out half a pack of smokes. But you only get one life.
i did sort of the same thing. the best way to quit smoking is to watch a very good friend of 40 years die from cancer he got from smoking cigarettes

Old 11-24-2011, 05:54 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
As a psychoactive drug, I'm wary of Chantix. Already suffering from depression and other mental issues, I'd have never touched the stuff.

I'd never tell anyone not to try it. But I'd tell people to have family members or friends who knew them monitoring their behavior and thinking.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:38 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Doctor told me to qiit or I would be dead in 3 weeks. I quit, and never looked back. I still have horrable lung problems, but I'm still here 3 years later.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Both my parents smoked my whole life. My Dad was ok health-wise, but Mom always had something wrong. One day her Doctor told her she had serious heart problems and had to quit, right now. When she told my Dad, he threw every cigarette they had in the trash right then and there. Although Mom wanted to cheat, Dad stood strong and kept her honest. BTW, Dad had a four-way bypass a few years ago from the effects of years of smoking, but now is doing fine.

Quick Reply: Guide to Smoking; How to quit.