Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

1994 7.3 idi advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:51 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
does the speedometer work perfectly? if the speedometer or tach are off or not working, the cruise and trans will not work properly.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Toucan2003
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom:
The speedometer, tach and all guages work fine. I did find a blown fuse in the bypass line Ford put in on the cruise control and I replaced it but it didn't fix the OD flashing light problem. I went through all the fuses under the dash as well as under the hood and all are good.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:08 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
try doing the KOEO (key on,engine off) Toucan.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
code 65 just means that you did not push the od off button while doing the test.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:32 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
sorry, speedo and tach not working properly throwing the E4od into limp mode is as far as my knowledge of that trans goes.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Toucan2003
Freshman User
Guys:
I ran all the tests including KOEO Key on, Engine off. Code 65 still comes up, although one time 11 came up -'system pass' and no other codes. I shut off the code reader and shut off the key. Then I started the truck and the OD light did not flash. After closing hood etc. I got back in and started truck to test drive and the OD once again started flashing.
I put the code reader back on and deleted the 'Continuous Memory' codes per instructions. OD light again starts flashing.
I'm at you guy's mercy! Any ideas?
Fred

Old 04-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Toucan2003
Freshman User
I also tried putting shifter in drive, reverse, neutral, etc. thinking that maybe it was the shifter switch ? causing the problem but it didn't make any difference.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:50 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
check to make sure your brake light bulbs are all working.
check the TPS voltage with a meter.with the meter hooked up,push the throttle cable slowly to WOT.your looking for any dead spots in it's sweep.mine went bad,and i didn't get the code for it.they are a ware sensor and should be replaced every 50k miles ideally.
more info; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ions-only.html
down on the pass side of the trans,about mid way,is heat shield which shields the exhaust pipe from a wire plug.remove this shield & look this over to see if the wires are frayed.if so,repair with tape for now,and order the repair plug.if not,then carefully unplug this connector from the trans,clean it up with electrical cleaner or brake cleaner and let dry.pack it full of dialectic grease,and make sure it fully snaps back down in.put the shield back on,clear the codes and go for a drive.
the battery cable you mentioned,was the large 2/0 cable going to the starter for sure,and not the smaller gauge wire correct? you need to make sure the trans pcm gets full voltage.if your sure the large cable is the one in need of replacement,then continue putting that on hold for now.-never hurts to make sure.

along with the flashing OD light,your getting very firm shifs and the trans doesn't seem to want to go into 3rd gear correct?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Toucan2003, I don't know to much on these years trucks but on the powerstrokes, flashing OD light and Know cruise controll means a speed sensor on the rear axle gone out. I replaced mine and all was well.
Chet

Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Toucan2003
Freshman User
Diesel Junkie, what is the cost of the throttle positioning sensor? Is it just as easy to replace as to test since my truck now has 97,000 on it? I purchased it 2 years ago and it had 55,000 miles on it. I have used it mainly as a car, so no load on it. (you can see a picture of it in the albums section. I haven't figured out how to get the picture in my profile yet.)
The battery cable I was talking about is the + clamp on the passenger side that goes down to the starter. The cable is fine it is the clamp on the positive post that has a crack in the side of it where the bolt goes through. It's not that bad, but I thought that since it seems everything electrical on this truck is so sensitive, maybe that was the problem. I tested it and there is 12+ volts so it is making good connection.

Fred

Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
if the vss was bad though,the speedometer wouldn't be working,or it would be jumping around.i think the pcm is good about throwing the vss code.
Chet,did you have a faulty speedo and did the pcm give a code for the bad vss? the pcm is all different on that truck though as i understand it.

the pressure switch for master cylinder is a redundant brake switch.i know when you take the cruise fuse right out,the trans is ok with that.not sure about a bad switch though or fuse built into that recall harness.
the tps is super easy to test really.you can just use a test light and swing its sweep to see if the light goes out at any time.
i would personally test it,and prepare to replace it before it goes bad with the miles on it,but there's no way to know if that's the issue without at least putting a test light on it.it just takes a minute or two.very easy.
trying to think of anything else that would put the trans into safety mode without tossing a code.that's a bummer it's not giving up its secrets.

i wonder if cruise relies on the psom,the pcm doesn't give a code when bad,and it's whats giving the fuss.i dont read about failed psom's often enough to know their failure symptoms.

though you had a non working od light to know if it was flashing or not,did you have firm shifting trouble before you replaced the shifting lever,or did all seem fine and directly after replacing that,thats when the hard shifts began?

with the low miles on your truck,you may have the old MLPS harness,and it may have gotten moisture in there.that's on the drivers side of the trans.you might want to pull that plug and clean it too.if you find it's wet inside,you probably want to update to later style mlps.i made sure to do this a little while ago before i ran into the trouble.
that's all i can think of to check for now,without a code.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Toucan2003
Freshman User
I don't think it can be too much because when I ran the tester yesterday, the OD light quit flashing so I drove it nearly a mile and it shifted perfect. i couldn't hardly tell when it shifted. Then I turned around to go back home and put it in gear and the light starts flashing again along with the hard shift.
I will test the TPS tomorrow.
Something that just came to me: this hard shift started when I was having the fuel running down the back of the engine ( coming from #7 injector). I better check that wire plug on the side of the tranny as you suggested. Maybe it got oil on it!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
yeah i was thinking this too re-reading your posts.
but i think that's too far back on the trans.but,nevertheless,the plug is important to check anyway.cleaning and greasing sure can't hurt either if its never been done yet.but i dunno how bad the leak was either.was it pretty bad? leaking down possibly on the upper side of the trans and down the pass side? never know until ya look i guess.hopefully it's something this easy.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 PM
boots6868
Elder User
Originally Posted by Toucan2003
Guys, I have a 1994 F350 with the 7.3 IDI and E4OD. I had a mechanic put his computer on it to check for any items that needed attention. He said his computer couldn't communicate because my 'check engine light' must be out.
I can not find a check engine light on the truck. Is there one and if so where is it?
Also, I just replaced the selector lever w/ OD switch and the light is now flashing. What can be the reason?
Thanks.
I had the same problem with my 93 f350 . flashing o/d and harsh shifting.
crawl under the truck with a air hose with a blow nozzle and a can of wd-40... on the passenger side there is metal cover toward the back remove the 2 screws and behind that plate will be a wire going into the tranny.
remove it and blow the dirt out and spray it up good with wd-40 and also where it plugs into. blow excess wd-40 away and reinstall.then up front on driver side engine bay down LOW on the wheel well is where your computer wire plugs in. get a #10 socket and remove the wire set. and repeat the spraying and blowing. reinstall. disconect both batteries while your doing all this. rehook batteries and see what you get.
This procedure fixed mine about 10,000 miles ago with no more problems and smooth as silk shifting.
give er a try doesnt cost a thing!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Diesel Junkie, yes I had a good speedo but when this sencor went out it also stopped working.

Chet

Quick Reply: 1994 7.3 idi advice