Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

If you had a "do over' button.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
How much of a price difference are we talking about here? I have also had thoughts about the 20" tires. Also why would you want a limited slip over an electronic locking differential?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:25 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
i had a couple friends at work buy tires going into winter this year.

the guy who got to buy 265/70/r17's got a heck of a deal at $600 for all 4.

they guy who got to buy 265/65/r18's got a heck of a deal at $950 for all 4.

both of them shopped around a bit and both of them were very good deals.

if i had to put 20's on a truck, i'd sell them and buy a set of nice looking 17's. the rims would likely be free on the savings and sale of the 20's.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:00 PM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad I began reading this thread.

I am casually looking for an F-150. I was checking out inventory in the area and located a truck that is close to as an exact match as I can find.

There are only two differences: the exterior color is Sterling Gray - I wanted Race Red - and it has the EB engine and I was planning on getting the 5.0L as I don't really have the need for more (I would get the 3.7L if I could get it on the 157" WB).

I am still on the fence about settling on color. Gray is as neutral as neutral gets and most of the trucks I've had were Red - I am just a red type of guy.

I am going to read through this again and get a vibe.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 PM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
For the price of the chrome package, about $1500.00, you're getting a chrome exhaust tip and four 18" chrome clad wheels and a billet grill.

The 18's do make the truck look nice as hell but they will eat your wallet dry when it comes time for new tires. No thanks, I can and will mount a larger 17" on mine and get it for less money and have a larger variety of tires to choose from.

You pay $1595 but then they give you a $1500 discount so it's cheaper to add chrome package than it is to add steps. I can't figure out their packaging sometimes.

I like my truck. Got this one pretty well loaded, made sure I got the factory backup camera and reverse sensing system this time...I only put 10K on my 2010 Super Duty before I traded it in and I had already changed my aftermarket backup camera 3 times in it. I also got the tailgate step, side steps, power sliding window w/ defrost...sat radio....pretty much as loaded as a XLT gets and so far it's seemed pretty good. A Raptor would be fun but I don't feel it's worth the extra for me.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 AM
peety37
Freshman User
I wish I had the 373 axle instead of the 355. I tow alot and miss that extra torque

Old 04-18-2012, 06:39 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Ford made some sedans with "black chrome" for a while, maybe they still do. I would like this on my black F-150 in place of the normal chrome. I like everything blacked out but I don't like painted bumpers.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 AM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
We bought a Lariat with the works minus tailgate step, nav, and the 20's.

I love the truck, the 18's are plenty big for my taste, and I absolutely love the interior layout.

Only thing I'd do different is go with the 3:73's for the amount of driving we do, which amounts to about 50 miles a week.

It was nice seeing 22.5 mpg driving out to MN thoug....

Old 04-19-2012, 06:52 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I bought my truck off the lot. Its a 2011 Lariat, SCrew with factory nav, moonroof, 20's. If I had to do it over again, i would avoid the factory nav, moonroof, power adjustable pedals and ordered factory steps. The factory nav is sub-par at best, and thats a compliment. The power rear window is a nice feature that i dont ever use. I have mixed feelings about that.

All in all, the EB is a great drive train, so far so good. i have about 16,000 miles on it and only been to the dealer 3 times for poor brakes, twice to my original dealer and the last trip was to a competing dealer that actually fixed the problem.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jeffdoerr
I bought my truck off the lot. Its a 2011 Lariat, SCrew with factory nav, moonroof, 20's. If I had to do it over again, i would avoid the factory nav, moonroof, power adjustable pedals and ordered factory steps. The factory nav is sub-par at best, and thats a compliment. The power rear window is a nice feature that i dont ever use. I have mixed feelings about that.

All in all, the EB is a great drive train, so far so good. i have about 16,000 miles on it and only been to the dealer 3 times for poor brakes, twice to my original dealer and the last trip was to a competing dealer that actually fixed the problem.
What is so bad about the NAV?

Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 PM
mrdesanctis
Senior User
I got the XLT s crew cab 5.5 bed and 5.0L. I love my truck( its like my child, I wash it, spend money on it care for it and beat on it once in a while) haha just kidding but I really do love my truck. If I could do it again i would get a raptor. when I got my truck I had not seen a raptor with the s crew cab, and that was a big deal breaker for me. a week after I got my truck I saw a s crew drive by at the local wal mart. I was so mad, but I'm still happy with mine.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Richie B
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do Over

I ordered a 2011 F150 SCab, 3.7L, 3:73 gears and 6.5 bed with other options that I wanted. This was a mistake. The truck has a vibration in it that the dealer can't seem to fix. I have driven other SCabs on the dealer's lot and they didn't have this vibration problem. If I had it to do over again I would drive several trucks on the dealer's lot and take the one that performs best and has the options that come close to your wish list.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:45 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mrdesanctis
I got the XLT s crew cab 5.5 bed and 5.0L. I love my truck( its like my child, I wash it, spend money on it care for it and beat on it once in a while) haha just kidding but I really do love my truck. If I could do it again i would get a raptor. when I got my truck I had not seen a raptor with the s crew cab, and that was a big deal breaker for me. a week after I got my truck I saw a s crew drive by at the local wal mart. I was so mad, but I'm still happy with mine.
A Raptor would be really cool to have...but the deal breaker for me is that the towing capacity is not enough. The max towing is only 8,000lbs.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought mine over the internet. '12 Sterling Gray FX4 S-Crew (3.73s by default), with Ecoboost, luxury package, nav, max tow, 20s, tailgate step, and bed extender. I've added an Extang Solid Fold tonneau, Bed Rug, Husky under-seat storage box, upgraded headlights, lower grille, and assorted Harley swag. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I can't think of anything I'd do differently. I'm completely satisfied with my truck.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:36 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I just thought of one ....

I wouldn't have asked for my wife's opinion on whether or not to buy a new truck .... cauz then i'd be driving a Tan 2011 crew cab XLT.

as it turns out, ASKING about buying a new truck gets you in the EXACT same amount of trouble as actually BUYING it! ... lesson learned ... just go get the truck, fall-out is the same.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 PM
mrdesanctis
Senior User
Originally Posted by meborder
I just thought of one ....

I wouldn't have asked for my wife's opinion on whether or not to buy a new truck .... cauz then i'd be driving a Tan 2011 crew cab XLT.

as it turns out, ASKING about buying a new truck gets you in the EXACT same amount of trouble as actually BUYING it! ... lesson learned ... just go get the truck, fall-out is the same.
well let things cool off then go buy it haha

Quick Reply: If you had a "do over' button.....