1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

First *legal* drive - oh what a mess. Humor and questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:51 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First *legal* drive - oh what a mess. Humor and questions.

This is more of a "sharing humor" than a question thread, but I'll intersperse a few questions for the fixers who just have to have something to fix

So I took the old girl out for her first legal run (meaning plates and insurance, and on 20 miles of highway instead of 1 1/2 miles down the dirt road at the shop).

I took my granddad out for lunch, and grandma brought a little 2010 CH&#y Aveo with neice and my girlfriend (girlie got to ride on the way home). The POS Aveo barfed all the radiator contents on the ground and we spend a good amount of time muckin with that stupidity. 63 years old versus a newborn 1 year old and the Ford is still more reliable, man that just made me chuckle and grin like nothing else.

Some notes I took:
1) the wind noise above 55 mph is extensive, no talking
2) at 76.1 mph the wind resistance is enough that the motor is stumped on flat level ground - she can't go any faster Jim!
3) After a real drive, when you let it sit and cool down, all the fuel boils out of the carb (Diagnosed by 0 psi on fuel pressure gauge and she starts after 10 seconds of cranking... for you fixer types I am thinking 1/2" wood carb spacer - but tell me your thoughts).
4) My fancy 4 point seatbelts hold you in so tight you can't reach the park/hand brake
5) park brake is tight enough that you can back up, but no forward motion (see #4)
6) I can see my left (drivers) lane better by turning head 220 degrees and looking out rear window than peep mirrors.
7) shocks (which were fine in 2003 when I parked it) are shot - toast, every bump is translated through just like a handsome or buckboard.
8) I have 1 1/2" clearance on the garage door... and I am still on the PO tires. Now I am a little worried about clearance with the tires I plan on ordering as soon as rims get to the painters.

She really didn't like being parked, all the stuff that was ok (windshield didn't leak, etc) that has gone south on me seems to just be her expressing the sourness at being put on ignore for so long a period.

I got home (with a slight headache from the fumes) way late in the dark last night (12v headlights are nice and bright), so no pix last night... and it is a snow day here, so I am planning on making it movie night with the girlie, but pix should be quite doable Tuesday or so. She's home now, no longer getting weekly visits out at granddads, she's in my garage with plates and insurance and all ready to take me out in style anytime we want.

Oh side note, after I pulled off I70 to head to the restaurant, the first vehicle I met.... was a fridge, we both rolled down the window and waved big - he was smillin pretty big too.

I met a lot of stopped cars and I saw the heads turn slowly, grins getting bigger and bigger as I got closer . Seems anyone who knew of these trucks back in the day recognized it and had to get a second look... all the older folks were grinnin.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:17 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
woo woo!!.. that first real drive is a doozie!! your list was shorter than mine!

haven't followed what your done, but a different rear gear ratio would probably help 2. but do u want to be doing over 70 in these old trucks for very long?

peepers are cool looking, but really not functional in my opinion..

4 point belts are really only useful in a race environment, but another cool idea that causes more troubles than it solves the rest of the time.

Sam

Old 11-07-2011, 01:52 PM
brain75
Elder User
I swapped to 3.00 ratio rear end (my goal was 3.25 locker, but I went to the junkyard willing to go anywhere 3.0 to 3.5... 3.00 open very good shape '72 Ford truck is where I landed).

As much as it shudders and lugs from a dead stop, I wish I had spent more time hunting for a 3.25. edit: (in true 1st, not using granny)

I have no need to go faster 75 mph, I just was surprised as powerful and as insane torque as the flatties have that wind got to her that soon.

I haven't got them yet, but I plan on keeping the swan arm and changing out the small glass with larger glass. (figured that out from test drive)

The list has a lot more, but all the rest was discovered during test run.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:00 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Good job! I've never seen 70, and hope not to anytime soon!

I think you'll find if you put bigger mirrors on the swan stems, they'll just move around too much from the wind. Get some man-size mirrors, son! West coasters.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:07 PM
brain75
Elder User
Ah I can see Ross can dish out the ribbing right back after I poke at him.

Seriously though, that is exactly why I keep coming back here - others have solved my problem for me before I even knew I had it.

I've cringed at the holes in the doors, but it is definitely being considered... Older folks seem to automatically realize no abs, no disc, no power steering and they give you some space. After lunch I finished some work and then took girlie out for ice cream, some young rice head in a ricer pulled right into my blind spot and I dang near smeared him... If I hadn't seen his headlights on the ground I would have changed lanes, thankfully it was night and I looked twice. One more of those incidents and I think I will be buying biggie mirrors no questions asked.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:18 PM
brain75
Elder User
Oh good news, it doesn't drunken monkey wander all over, it tracks almost straight when you let go of the wheel (yes it is original - solid beam), it does pull slightly to the left when you brake hard but not bad. No nasty knock, bang, sputter, none of your typical issues with an oldie that's worn bad.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:39 PM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not only was it succesful, but you had a good time! doesn't get any better that! wouldn't mind bringing my truck out your way to play in the snow for awhile. have fun--be safe!

Old 11-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Nojive55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no Trekkie but...

Originally Posted by brain75
she can't go any faster Jim!
I enjoy a not-so-thinly veiled Star Trek reference as much as the next guy. Hopefully you were "givin' her all she's got".

Great story.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:45 PM
brain75
Elder User
(sheepishly holds head low)... *cough* I still haven't ran through the carb rebuild... it runs great, and I am just so eager to get her home and get to driving. Yes, I was "givin' her all she's got", but the carb doesn't like full pedal. If I mash it, it floods out.... that and the mixture screw having no real effect, all the sadness trying to get it to start, the 8 years of varnish, I am sure the carb rebuild is no longer delayed, it's due.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:53 PM
wallster
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great story, she sounds awesome. I cheated and bought mine from someone who did 99% of the work but the first drive is an exciting event. I have had first time drives though (technically rides since I've built more bikes than cars/trucks) that didn't go so well and ended up as two mile push-homes... believe me, yours was a success.
My F1 definatly drives like an old truck but that's the appeal to me. I don't think a 61 year old truck should drive like a sleek red Ferrari.... it's weird, You wouldn't expect your old Aunt Helen to roller-blade over to your house wearing a skin tight leopard skin uni-tard would ya? ...that would be wrong.

Congrats.

Wally

1951 F1 "Lucille"

Old 11-07-2011, 04:22 PM
brain75
Elder User
Originally Posted by wallster
...old Aunt Helen to roller-blade over to your house wearing a skin tight leopard skin uni-tard would ya? ...that would be wrong.
ew ew ew... omg please none of the photoshop guys and none of the admins with their secret stash of spam thread based nasty pictures... nobody respond to that graphically. (scrubs brain in sink for rest of work day). Tee Hee

Old 11-07-2011, 04:31 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Great to hear you're out n about
Find the source of those fumes and fix it before they fix you
You mentioned the Fame Flatmotor Torque - It's there and it's real - It is almost a flat curve from about 2200 - 3600 where it drops off - The only way to get real speed is thru gearing which means an overdrive somewhere in the system.
You have Denver listed as your location - You aren't going to be able to go more than a few miles West of downtown (OR Southeast) without doing a bunch of shifting with those 3.00's
Again, with much envy, congratulations

Old 11-07-2011, 04:40 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wallster
You wouldn't expect your old Aunt Helen to roller-blade over to your house wearing a skin tight leopard skin uni-tard would ya? ...that would be wrong.

Congrats.

Wally

1951 F1 "Lucille"

I guess it kind of depends on what Aunt Helen looks like????

Old 11-07-2011, 04:41 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
"Tee Hee" HMMM? Speaking of bad pictures!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:41 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oh...and by the way...congrats on the first drive!!

Dan

Quick Reply: First *legal* drive - oh what a mess. Humor and questions.