Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Using Starting Fluid on a Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 07:26 PM
87roadracer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if you experts can shed some light to this novice regarding my 1990 F-350 7.3L diesel.

First let me explain that the truck is driven approximately once every 10-14 days. I been having trouble starting it lately. I do keep the truck plug in while not in use. I've check the glow plugs and they all checked out fine. The normal clicking sound as the "Wait to Start" light is on then goes off still exists. I now believe that I have a start-up fuel delivery problem. Why? I sprayed ether (sp?) down the intake and it then started right up. How do you feel about using ether on a diesel? Can I burned out the pistons or glow plugs using this stuff? Any thoughts suggestions on what to check would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Roger

Old 04-11-2003, 07:57 PM
rbraughn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful using starting fluid in a diesel.

I had a 1981 Datsun King Cab Diesel when I was in High school, and used Starting fluid ONCE.

I gave it a heavy shot, it started, revved really high, and when I tried to turn the engine off to stop the high revs, it wouldn't stop until it had all burned off. Kinda scary but i didn't damage anything.

Old 04-11-2003, 11:05 PM
RUFUS79
Senior User

I don't like to use that stuff on anything espesially on a diesel because once you spray either in it turn the key on you have a chance to burn off you glow plugs. Plus once you turn the key on the fluid will ignite before you turn the motor over due to the glow plugs coming on, but it gets really warm in the cylinder and causes the fuel to ignite from heat created from either and compression. I usually cycle the glow plugs twice before stating to ensure it get fairly warm in there. Just make sure the batteries are in good condition. It will take a while to start but I like to know that only diesel fuel is in there and not a foreign substance. All the deisels on the ranch I worked at and had to use it, they seemed like they became addicted and could'nt start without it. P.S. I reaally don't like that stuff.

Old 04-11-2003, 11:48 PM
bigblue250
Senior User

If you have your glow plugs on a manual switch like alot of guys do you can give her a squirt of the stuff and crank away, just dont turn the plugs on or bad things will happen. I have been around heavy equipment all my life and uphere in the north east it is pretty much standard to see either canisters on Cats and the like. They use either because the bigger engines do not use a glowp plug system and do not haveto worry about it ignighting prematurely and blowing a piston....etc. so this is a yes and no question if you still have the stocjk glow plug relay wired in to the key(which I suspect you do) DO NOT USE EITHER!!!!!!!! if you have bypassed the stoick glow plug system to a switch, by all means squirt away SPARINGLY a little goes a long way and dont turn the plugs on. Just crank her over. Anyway sorry for the long winded post but if your fuel, and starting systems are in good shape she should start no matter what every time. rember you cant kill the old IDI diesels.

Old 04-12-2003, 09:48 AM
87roadracer
New User

Thanks BigBlue250.

I am assuming that the only reason you would want your glow plugs to be on a manual switch is for starting the truck using ether.

Is it a simple job to install this switch?

Thanks again.

Old 04-12-2003, 09:48 AM
RUFUS79
Senior User

Ditto on the canister. The much larger diesels have an either system built into them with a button in the cab so you don't have to get out.

Old 04-12-2003, 10:08 AM
RUFUS79
Senior User

Roadracer, I know a few guys that have done that because we go out cruising and they don't like to wiat for the light to go out. plus the engine is fairly warm becuase they love to race. I have not the slightest clue on how to hook it up.

Old 04-14-2003, 02:37 PM
Saigon
Elder User

I did this on my 1986 F-250, my controller went out and my selonoid also:

There may be other ways but I did like this:

1. I removed the harness and and all the wires including the temperature sensor wires which I plugged in again right away in a seperate harness.

2. I joined all 8 glow plug wire-ends together and soldered them to a heavy guage wire that goes under the dash to a push-button switch, another wire goes from the switch to the positive pole on the battery.

3. Turn on the ignition, push the button and count to five, turn the key to throw in the starter and she fires right up, regardless of how cold it is

PS,
I only have 4 good plugs on the engine put it starts up like I had all 8 !!!

Mike

Old 04-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Saigon
Elder User

Just another advice, I would use ether or any other starting fluid only as a last resort, you could see your pistons going the hood someday, too much compression on these engines and funny things can happen that could you +++++$$$$$$$$. You can run a diesel peanut oil but it's just not made for low flash-point liquids.

Mike

Old 04-14-2003, 05:12 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

Having been responsible for a lot full of trucks (200+) that I tried to start every four weeks and from having a failure rate usually of less than 3% ( trucks no start - which means no jumps, no starting fluid, just the turn of a key), even in the middle of a NorthEast winter, I can say one thing.

It is probably electrical.

The most overlooked thing is cables. They simply have to be replaced after five or so years in any salt area because the corrosion works its way up into the cable and causes excessive resistance.

Starter fluid and ether only mask a problem (though I have used it, mostly on Frieghtliners and older Macks). Even the big Ford diesels (with and without glow plugs) would crank and fire without ether as long as they had winter diesel and fuel additive.

Old 04-16-2003, 01:27 AM
94turbodiesel
Freshman User

You may have fuel draining back to the tank because of a bad lift pump or check valve in the filter head. Something to look at.