Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'95 5.8L efi going into my '49 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue86
Are you planning on running that entire harness with that massive fuse block? Most of that is unneeded. I was able to hack the engine harness off the connection block and hardwired it into the cut ECU pigtail. The distributor, ignition module, and MAF (if equipped) need to be powered by a switched 12V source. Then obviously the ECU needs to be grounded and powered up as needed... but off the top of my head it's fairly simple.
Well at first I was thinking I HAD to, but no I just have it because it was part of the harness. The pic you see, of the harness was before this past weekend!
She's all blown out now! I did take it apart to see what it's made up of.
I gotta get another 60 pin connector for the ECU I was a little rough on taking pins out and broke a few pin retainers
I figure for the cost of a pre-made harness, I can afford...oh...about 100 screw-ups???? I don't learn anything if I don't screw up! Thanks for your input!

edit: no MAF...It's a speed density setup.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Blue86
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Well at first I was thinking I HAD to, but no I just have it because it was part of the harness. The pic you see, of the harness was before this past weekend!
She's all blown out now! I did take it apart to see what it's made up of.
I gotta get another 60 pin connector for the ECU I was a little rough on taking pins out and broke a few pin retainers
I figure for the cost of a pre-made harness, I can afford...oh...about 100 screw-ups???? I don't learn anything if I don't screw up! Thanks for your input!

edit: no MAF...It's a speed density setup.
You need another connector for the ECU side? I mayyyyyy have one that will work for you if you need it. I can look tomorrow.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
... I mean as good as the distributor mounted unit? SCNDSIN, I saw something on yours about the replacement of the wiring from the dist. to yours. Is that just a fluke problem or a common one?
The remote TFI is an upgrade over the dist mount to keep (it) from over heating. Just use plenty of dielectric grease if replaced or removed from heat sink block before re-installing. What was replaced in my dist is the "PIP", profile ignition pickup, which has a habit of going out after about a 100k. It is part of the short little stub harness that comes out of the dist.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

...There are two factory capped connectors..one on each side. I assume that the harness is somewhat universal 5.0L-5.8L but not sure. Are they a three wire? two wire? does anybody have a pic of the right connector?....
"Most" 5.8s are a single O2 trucks (my 94 is), but I think you said your doner was 95. I'll try & look at a wiring diagram today & get some info.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Blue86
You need another connector for the ECU side? I mayyyyyy have one that will work for you if you need it. I can look tomorrow.
Hey I appreciate that! But I have a good connection at a local salvage yard, probably free there and plan on going tomorrow. I will let ya know if I need one, thanks for the offer though!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 967 Likes on 765 Posts
But while I am asking about this stuff. I am assuming that I CAN'T tie the EGR into the exhaust pipe after the header/s? Would that not work? It seems to me that it would, or is it simply too far away from the intake?
Yeah that would work fine.. exhaust is exhaust but it will add to the clutter a little and produce more carbon buildup in the intake. Your choice of course.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Conanski
Yeah that would work fine.. exhaust is exhaust but it will add to the clutter a little and produce more carbon buildup in the intake. Your choice of course.
Just making sure common sense applies, I will fab a block plate and go that route.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
dumb question: TAD,TAB,EVR

Ok I am just getting confused now! Which one is which and where are they?
I think the EVR is mounted to the bracket against the coil? My haynes manual isn't real bad but I am not clear on these. thanks!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 967 Likes on 765 Posts
EVR is the front solenoid on the bracket next to the coil...

Old 11-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Awesome, thanks Paul. So now I see that my rear sensor(TAD) is non existent...Thanks for the pic!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Blue86
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I appreciate that! But I have a good connection at a local salvage yard, probably free there and plan on going tomorrow. I will let ya know if I need one, thanks for the offer though!
I realized that mine was for a batch fire 4.9L It wouldn't have worked.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Another question...A wire for the ignition has the "aluminum shielding" around it/them, is there something out there to add on to that, due to needing to lengthen the wiring?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
I really am posting this to pick at Scndsin's brain, but obviously feel free to comment...
I removed my air pump and was playing with the belt routing. It seems to me that this will work using the standard length belt. The upper idler can be replaced with a pulley that is designed for the rib side of the belt, losing any chance of it derailing, which may not even be an issue. also I wonder if there are different diameter idler pulley's if needed for a better tensioner position. My p/s pulley is off because I need to replace the pump housing and other reasons. What do you think?

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Yep, that's the basic way I did it in the first version with the stock belt. But it had a tendency to squeal for a few seconds at start-up. As well as the belt running so high, just daring me to get my pony tail or fingers close to it.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Scndsin
Yep, that's the basic way I did it in the first version with the stock belt. But it had a tendency to squeal for a few seconds at start-up. As well as the belt running so high, just daring me to get my pony tail or fingers close to it.
Good point about the fingers, i don't have to worry about my ponytail, matter a fact i dont have to worry about hair...
Looking at my pic again and reading your thoughts, i will route it w/o the upper idler.

Quick Reply: '95 5.8L efi going into my '49 pickup