*Official 57-60 Thread - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

*Official 57-60 Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 AM
tbirdscott
Elder User
tbirdscott is starting off with a positive reputation.
This one has been coast to coast since it's rebuild, slickest paint i've ever seen on a truck.

Every nut, bolt, and drop of paint done at home. Built from 6 or 7 different trucks, they are my backup parts source

Scott

Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM
GB SISSON
Post Fiend
GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.
Now that is one really nice truck. Did you pull the travel trailer on your trip? Gotta love having a parts truck, or seven......

Old 02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
theodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to behold
Tbirdscott; I really like that big windowed 57. Got any more pictures or info?

Old 02-28-2012, 02:00 PM
GB SISSON
Post Fiend
GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.
Scott, while your truck looks cool hooked up to that trailer, it would look even cooler hooked up to mine. '58 aloha, Even has grey wheels!

Attached Images   
Old 02-28-2012, 03:22 PM
tbirdscott
Elder User
I wish my truck even had the potential to look that good! It belongs to a friend of a friend, great guy who put LOTS of blood sweat and tears in to the build. My buddy helped him do the final finish coat after weeks of blocking primer. Pics do not do the paint job justice.

Yes he did pull the trailer the whole way, 312 y-block and Merc-O-Matic Not as cool as your vintage travel trailer but probably a lot more cozy!

Here are some random pics

^Thats the owner/builder there standing proud as a peacock with his fresh paint! Cool guy to talk with, very knowledgeable. Has a couple retractables that are just unbelievable.

Some of his parts trucks look like a better start than my truck!

There is a factory 4x4 in that mix too, cant wait till the snow melts so I can check them out, I've only been able to see the roofs sticking out of the snow so far.

Scott

Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
GB SISSON
Post Fiend
My truck looks more like one of his parts trucks! As for the new trailer with all it's amenities and modern conveniences... More 'cozy'??? With 3 coats of spar varnish on Oregon ash, homemade curtains and cushions along with a real ice icebox, I beg to differ. We light up the catalytic heater and have a couple of vintage coleman sleeping bags as our blankets.. The kind with the wildfowl print and a 12 volt lamp made from a tail light socket on the table. Now that's cozy in my book. Ok, then there's the part about getting up to pee in the middle of the night with a flashlight. The modern guys got me on that one....

Attached Images   
Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM
spurredon
Post Fiend
spurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to all
Awesome pics all the way around!

I still would rather sleep in my bed over any camper! LOL!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 PM
tbirdscott
Elder User
I cant believe how straight that old trailer is, we get enough snow here that campers more than 20 years old usually end up as utility trailers!

Scott

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
theodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to behold
Tbird; Thanks for the pictures and info. That merc. is very nice!
GB That camper is sweet!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:22 PM
GB SISSON
Post Fiend
Smokey oil burning fridge will be towing it by early summer with a bit of luck! Thanks for the nice comments. Trailer was a craigslist find last spring. We painted it with a brush, did some mechanical and electrical work and then had to find an appropriate year truck to tow it. One thing leads to another. Bought the 59 last September. All you guys have made the fridge thing a most enjoyable project!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 AM
fast58
Senior User
fast58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just got done doing the CV IFS swap in my '58. Here are a few pictures of her back in action. Hopefully I'm not overdoing it by uploading too many pictures.

Here are a few pictures of the messy engine bay. It's a 360 Windsor with all the aftermarket parts I rebuilt it with that you can see in my signature. I still need to go back and hide wires and clean everything up but I just now got it moving again so I will do that when all the major changes have been made. I do have new better looking headers on it now. And there is a pic of the brake booster to show that she now has power brakes and power steering.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
fast58
Senior User
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf View Post
No, you sound like a mad man. Your outside lights should have both low and high beam. On a 2 headlight system you have both high and low in one light. It should be nothing much more than putting the grille in and plugging in the connectors to your outside lights. Let the others hang. Might want to wrap them in tape to keep moisture out.

To test my theory unplug your inside headlights. Pull your truck up in front of a wall (a bit back from the wall) & turn on your headlights. You should have low beams. Note the spot on the wall your lights hit it. Now hit high beams. If your spot on the wall moves position you have both high and low in the same light. Most likely it should move up a bit.

The obvious would be if the outside lights have a 3 terminal bulb/plug they do both just like the 2 light grilles
Turns out I was right about the lights. I tested it last weekend. When it's low beam two lights are shining, when it's high beam all four are shining. That is my concern about changing to a '57 grille that has only two headlights. But I gotta get a '57 grille before I can start worrying about the lights.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:56 AM
tbirdscott
Elder User
Just use the plugs from the outer lights, they are high/low beam. The inner lights will just be high beam, leave that plug hanging or snip it off you wont need it.

Scott

Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
fast58
Senior User
Thanks. I will sure do that. Now I just need the grille.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM
hotfalcoon
Senior User
hotfalcoon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good looking truck! Are you going to put the proper hood on it or keep the the one it has now?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *Official 57-60 Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.