*Official 57-60 Thread - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

*Official 57-60 Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Walston
Posting Guru
Walston has a great reputation on FTE.Walston has a great reputation on FTE.Walston has a great reputation on FTE.Walston has a great reputation on FTE.Walston has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf View Post
OK for most of you simple questions but for me not so clear. Are all the cabs from '57-'60 the same with exception of big back window and small back window? How difficult is it to find a big back window cab? Are all the fenders the same? I see some small differences in the hoods. I am starting to go shopping. I want to build "Chero" in real life.
The cab are exchangeable. They same essentially, I think there were a few small changes in the floor, but nothing that matters. Colors of the ***** changed. I think there are BBW's available around especially out west and if I remember correctly, someone makes a weld in panel with a BBW.

The fenders, gravel pan and hoods are different, number of head lights, shape and location of the turn signals, etc.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:21 PM
ibuzzard
Gone But Not Forgotten
ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf View Post
OK for most of you simple questions but for me not so clear..... Are all the fenders the same?
There are different fenders, having larger/smaller wheel openings,depending upon which size wheels were ordered with the truck.Mine originally came with optional 19.5 " wheels,which I got rid of,so mine have larger than normal wheel-well openings.

There are different lower valances to accommodate the different front turn signals, as well.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Posting Guru
Rusty_Old_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rusty_Old_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
GB SISSON, I love that back bumper, might have to build one of them. The loop/step isn't bad idea. I think that'll make a good first welding project for me!

Sam

Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 PM
fast58
Senior User
fast58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been looking at the '57 grills and I believe I like them better. It has the single thick bar across the center and single headlights rather than two on each side. I saw a thread once where a guy was changing his grill out for a '57 grill. I'm wondering how hard it would be to change out my grill for that one. The only concern I have is how would I make the headlights work? Has anyone done this before?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:32 AM
tbirdscott
Elder User
tbirdscott is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm on the opposite side where I prefer the quad headlights on the 58/59 to the duals.

Couldnt tell you about swapping the grills but if your concerned about the wiring of the lights it will be real easy to wire it up correctly so dont worry about it till you get there.

Scott

Old 01-15-2012, 04:26 AM
tbirdscott
Elder User
tbirdscott is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Mine's a Ford when it's coming towards you and a Mercury once I pass you.
I'll trade you all the merc front emblems and a beat up merc tail gate for that purty one of yours

If you can wait till spring/early summer I think I can round up enough pieces to set you up with a merc front end.

Scott

Old 01-15-2012, 08:44 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
elgemcdlf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Walston View Post
The cab are exchangeable. They same essentially, I think there were a few small changes in the floor, but nothing that matters. Colors of the ***** changed. I think there are BBW's available around especially out west and if I remember correctly, someone makes a weld in panel with a BBW.

The fenders, gravel pan and hoods are different, number of head lights, shape and location of the turn signals, etc.
Thanks. I spoke with a friend of mine who owns a Ford truck salvage yard in NV. His favorite truck happens to be the '58. I plan on building "Chero". For those unfamiliar just do a search here at FTE. It will pop up. I am looking just at the sheet metal. After talking with him I am planning on using '59/'60 fenders and lower valance with either a '53 or '57 grille. I may swap in the car grill with the car front bumper. He suggested using the '53 grille if I go that route.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 AM
GB SISSON
Post Fiend
GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.
Sorry, I'm keeping the tailgate for now...... The step loop is an old crowbar. The bumper isn't complete yet. Think I'll start a post about bumpers.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 PM
fast58
Senior User
Originally Posted by tbirdscott View Post
I'm on the opposite side where I prefer the quad headlights on the 58/59 to the duals.

Couldnt tell you about swapping the grills but if your concerned about the wiring of the lights it will be real easy to wire it up correctly so dont worry about it till you get there.

Scott
To each is own as far as the grills are concerned. My only concern with the lights is that on the quad headlights 2 shining is dim and when 4 are shining high beam. How do I combine the wires to do the same only in one light. Rather than two lights on one side being high beam two filaments in one light is high beam. Make sense?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fast58 View Post
To each is own as far as the grills are concerned. My only concern with the lights is that on the quad headlights 2 shining is dim and when 4 are shining high beam. How do I combine the wires to do the same only in one light. Rather than two lights on one side being high beam two filaments in one light is high beam. Make sense?
No, you sound like a mad man. Your outside lights should have both low and high beam. On a 2 headlight system you have both high and low in one light. It should be nothing much more than putting the grille in and plugging in the connectors to your outside lights. Let the others hang. Might want to wrap them in tape to keep moisture out.

To test my theory unplug your inside headlights. Pull your truck up in front of a wall (a bit back from the wall) & turn on your headlights. You should have low beams. Note the spot on the wall your lights hit it. Now hit high beams. If your spot on the wall moves position you have both high and low in the same light. Most likely it should move up a bit.

The obvious would be if the outside lights have a 3 terminal bulb/plug they do both just like the 2 light grilles

Old 01-19-2012, 08:54 PM
KustomKidd
Freshman User
KustomKidd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got some headlights from a buddy..

Old 01-20-2012, 04:50 PM
fast58
Senior User
Okay I will try that out. I haven't driven it much at night, more like never driven it at night. So I must be mistaken. That sounds easy enough. The hard part will be finding a '57 grill in good condition that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
I can get you a grille when you are ready. Rust free & straight.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:26 PM
fast58
Senior User
Oh really? I'm interested. I'll PM you.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:25 PM
F250racer
Elder User
F250racer is starting off with a positive reputation.
BUMP, there has to be more pics here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *Official 57-60 Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.