Sponsored by: DP Tuner

White Smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 PM
fl_mudlife
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation White Smoke?

Recently with in the past week to 2 weeks my boyfriend and I have replaced the O-rings on his injectors because they were bad for one reason or another and we had to replace the ICP sensor.After we got everything together we turned it by hand to get everything how it was suppose to be (i dont know what we were getting out, and to get the pressure back up?). His friend that is a mechanic said to drive it hard after we put everything back together (for one reason or another). Also at one point the turbo came off where it was spilling smoke in general. However about 2-3 days later when we were getting off the highway it started spitting out white smoke. It seems every time we accelerate the white smoke seems to stop however when we are on idle, in or going to a stop white smoke starts coming out.

I think he did a fuel cleaner however I am not too sure. We talked about if it was water in the fuel but we are not sure, and we also talked if it were a blown head gasket however his truck has not over heated.

I was wondering to get any opinions on what it can be before we take it to a mechanic.

Its a 2000 Ford F250 Super Duty with a 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel Engine with about 200,000 if not more miles on it. We have recently replaced the batteries, starter, ICP sensor, and O-Rings on the Injectors.

Thank You
Shay

Old 11-01-2011, 11:09 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you guys replace the Orings with quality Alliant orings?

Also I do not understand what happened when you said the turbo came off? Do you mean the Boots for the intercooler pipes popped off?

What does the smoke smell like?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 PM
fl_mudlife
New User
Oh sorry well I am not too sure almost smells like fuel but I am not too sure I try not to be in the smoke.

And we got the O-Rings from the Ford dealership so i believe they gave us the correct ones.

The turbo hose came off but we got that fixed no problem.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:24 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Ford should have given you quality orings. And hopefully they did not get torn up during installation, usually a check for bad injector orings will be oil in fuel condition, meaning the fuel filter will be black. Is it nice and clean?

If indeed the smoke is raw fuel, you might have a cracked injector nozzle, or poor compression.

If the smoke was oil, you might have a turbo failing, usually smoke will worsen as you accelerate though. And there will be a lot of oil in the tailpipe.

It can take quite a bit of driving to work out the air in the fuel and oil lines, usually 50miles is enough some need more.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 PM
fl_mudlife
New User
I dont think they got torn up while we were putting them in because we were really careful with them.

Before we had a turbo failure and it would not go over about 65- 70 but we figured out the the turbo hose came off so how so we fixed it. However we have not seen oil in the tail pipe.

Thats another thing he has still been driving it every so often and it doesnt seem to be getting any worse or better. I mean every once in a while it wont white smoke but not too long after it will start up again. Also I am not sure about the fuel filter.

But thank you if you have any other idea then please share but I will ask him in the morning about the compressor, fuel filter, and the injectors. I hope its not the injectors and what not those can get expensive.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
I had to replace my injectors around 230,000 miles, do not just replace them because of this, but if your troubleshooting continues to point that way here is a link to a sponsor on the forum, Clay, great guy, great customer service, and great pricing. If you could have the truck down for a period of time, you could send them off for cleaning and testing, Riffraff Diesel: 7.3L HEUI Injector Flow Testing, then if whatever needed to be done would be honestly applied towards the cost of rebuilding or replacements.

Here's some Injector choices for future reference. Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Diesel fuel injectors | Ford Powerstroke fuel injectors | 7.3L Fuel Injector - Full Force Diesel / Casserly

I'm sure this thread will get moved the the 1999-2003 Powerstroke Diesel Forum and if you guys are determined we can help.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 AM
fl_mudlife
New User
Thank you very much

Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.