1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

FUEL LEAK?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Fla.Cracker96
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FUEL LEAK?????

I have fuel dripping under my truck. I noticed what looked like an oil leak in my driveway. When I crawled under the truck there is fuek dripping down off of the Tranny. Looked under the hood and behind the filter is what looks like a fuel pump with 3 rubber hoses coming off of it. Behind that there is a large brass nut with brass tubes going into the "valve covers". Under the large brass nut there is a "puddle" of fuel. I had my wife bring the truck up to 2000 RPM's and there is a small drip about every 20-30sec coming from what looks like under the brass nut. I had this same problem about 15 months ago. Took it to the shop and they "supposedly"replaced everything n there to fix the problem. My question is, is a common occurrance and is this something I can tighten myself? Sorry for the long thread just wanted to give yall the complete story.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
freedawg_101
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what Ive learned on the site here is that it is a semi common occurrance, you may be able to tighten the banjo bolt a little, but I would be carefull. You can get at it with a 1 1\8" end wrench. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Fla.Cracker96
Junior User
Thanks Free Dog. Can you explain the "be carefull" part? Do you mean do not over tighten?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:37 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Ya, don't overtighten but doesn't hurt to try. It could be coming from the weep hole on the pump also.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Fla.Cracker96
Junior User
What is the "weep hole"? I had all this replaced a little more than a year ago at over $1,000.00 dollars and dont want to do it again. Of corse the shop has a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty, and they want $100.00 to diagnose. Will not be going back!!!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
The "weep hole" is where the fuel pump leaks out when it goes bad. It's on the bottom of the pump so you need a mirror and probably flashlight to see if its leaking. Do all the hoses off the pump look new or old rotted blue hoses?

You're right for sure by staying away from that shop at that cost.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:12 PM
freedawg_101
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Ya, don't overtighten but doesn't hurt to try. It could be coming from the weep hole on the pump also.

^x2^
Yea i was talking about not overtightening it.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Fla.Cracker96
Junior User
The hoses are new blue hoses and the clamps are tight. Do the fuel pumps go out in just over a year or do you thank the shop worked me over??

Old 11-01-2011, 07:48 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
It could have gone out in a year, you never with some of the parts a guy gets nowadays.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Fla.Cracker96
I have fuel dripping under my truck. I noticed what looked like an oil leak in my driveway. When I crawled under the truck there is fuek dripping down off of the Tranny. Looked under the hood and behind the filter is what looks like a fuel pump with 3 rubber hoses coming off of it. Behind that there is a large brass nut with brass tubes going into the "valve covers". Under the large brass nut there is a "puddle" of fuel. I had my wife bring the truck up to 2000 RPM's and there is a small drip about every 20-30sec coming from what looks like under the brass nut. I had this same problem about 15 months ago. Took it to the shop and they "supposedly"replaced everything n there to fix the problem. My question is, is a common occurrance and is this something I can tighten myself? Sorry for the long thread just wanted to give yall the complete story.
Do you know what exactly did they replaced? IF they replaced everything (fuel pump, fuel cannister?, hoses, etc) try the banjo bolt first and there are a hose under the cannister that can be loose and its impossible to thigthen it without pulling the cannister. Other common cause its the fuel restriction sensor in the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) in the drivers side of the cannister and also you have to check the bottom of the cannister itself to look for corrosion and tiny holes that can leak.

good luck

Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 PM
marks500
Senior User
I didnt want to start a new thread but here is my issue.

I was driving today and Suddenly I started smelling Fuel... Well when I came to a stop I got out and Check under the truck.. It was Pouring out Bad... My Back Bumper and Tailgate were covered in Fuel...I have a nice undercoating of Fuel now... Even my Hubs were covered in Fuel...Anyways After Checking it out it is Coming From the rear of the engine. It Cost be $40 bucks in Fuel to make it Home... only had to go 40 miles.. But Cheaper then a tow truck. Anyways My question is where do I start looking? Fuel Pump, Injector Pump, Hoses? Whats the Most Common problem?? I have worked on my IDI a good Bit but havent worked on the PSD that much. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:17 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by marks500
I didnt want to start a new thread but here is my issue.

I was driving today and Suddenly I started smelling Fuel... Well when I came to a stop I got out and Check under the truck.. It was Pouring out Bad... My Back Bumper and Tailgate were covered in Fuel...I have a nice undercoating of Fuel now... Even my Hubs were covered in Fuel...Anyways After Checking it out it is Coming From the rear of the engine. It Cost be $40 bucks in Fuel to make it Home... only had to go 40 miles.. But Cheaper then a tow truck. Anyways My question is where do I start looking? Fuel Pump, Injector Pump, Hoses? Whats the Most Common problem?? I have worked on my IDI a good Bit but havent worked on the PSD that much. Thanks.
Well that seems to be a HUGE leak, the first thing you have to do is to clean everything well in the valley of the motor and then carefuly, with a flash light and little mirror, to try to find where the leak is coming from.
The common places to leak are: fuel pump, fuel restriction sensor, hoses, banjo bolt, o-ring of the fuel canister and corrosion in the bottom of it. Other less common, the fittings at the rear of the galleries and the hoses in front of the FPR to the galleries.
Good luck.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:54 PM
marks500
Senior User
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Well that seems to be a HUGE leak, the first thing you have to do is to clean everything well in the valley of the motor and then carefuly, with a flash light and little mirror, to try to find where the leak is coming from.
The common places to leak are: fuel pump, fuel restriction sensor, hoses, banjo bolt, o-ring of the fuel canister and corrosion in the bottom of it. Other less common, the fittings at the rear of the galleries and the hoses in front of the FPR to the galleries.
Good luck.

Thanks for the Info... Had to install a New water pump on my IDI today... It was fun..lol... considering they gave me a Broken water pump.. It was dropped at some point so a 2 hr job turned into 5 hrs... Anyways Right now I am gonna drive the IDI and maybe Tackle the PSD fuel problem on the weekend.. You know how it is one thing after another but its worth it cause most of the Time the 7.3 is super dependable. Not to mention no Truck payments!! I will be intouch with more questions once I tackle it.. Thanks!!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:12 PM
3wildboys
Senior User

Smile

I just suffered the same issue ,leaking decent off tranny cover ,I put it off,then 8 miles from home one day it started POURING out in a parking lot,got it home and valley full of fuel,since rubber hoses looked really cracked(the blue ones)I called diesel orings for a full fuel filter rebuild,when i got assembly out the real cost showed up- then I pulled fuel pump out and the weep hole was shooting fuel out ,I have 25 miles on it now with dryness in valley,it wa a pain but 200$ 'bout covered it and its sooo nice to have it done,plus pulled bucket of mud leaves and stickes out of there!Lots of help for my newbie self on this FINE website.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 PM
marks500
Senior User
Originally Posted by 3wildboys
I just suffered the same issue ,leaking decent off tranny cover ,I put it off,then 8 miles from home one day it started POURING out in a parking lot,got it home and valley full of fuel,since rubber hoses looked really cracked(the blue ones)I called diesel orings for a full fuel filter rebuild,when i got assembly out the real cost showed up- then I pulled fuel pump out and the weep hole was shooting fuel out ,I have 25 miles on it now with dryness in valley,it wa a pain but 200$ 'bout covered it and its sooo nice to have it done,plus pulled bucket of mud leaves and stickes out of there!Lots of help for my newbie self on this FINE website.

Yeah That Fuel Guage Drops Pretty quick when it starts Pouring outta there. My Valley is also full.. looks like about an inch deep... Just gotta find the time to tackle it!

Quick Reply: FUEL LEAK?????