2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Transmission Fluid Level Low After Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 11:29 AM
WhiskeyNitro
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid Level Low After Change

I changed the transmission fluid in our Explorer by draining and filling 3 times. I drove for 10 minutes in between each change. Before changing the fluid I checked the level twice over two different days and the fluid could be seen at the full level. During the checks, I had driven about 25 minutes before checking. I also let the car sit about 20 minutes and then started it up, went through the gears for 15 - 20 seconds and checked the level. The level was on the full mark every time I checked it. I figure good, it's full, so all I have to do is put back exactly what I take out.

Each time I drained the fluid I measured carefully and I drained out 4.5 quarts every time. I made sure to put back in 4.5 quarts every time. So, I drained out 13.5 Quarts total. I had 14 new quarts starting out and I am left with half a quart. I suck at math but I'm pretty sure that means I put in 13.5 quarts.

I have checked the level 3 times using the same method as above before changing. The first time I was on the minimum level. The second time I was on the full level. The third time I was on the low level again.

There are no leaks. I am checking it on a level surface. I don't notice any problems when driving but I'm afraid to keep driving and checking it if it is low. Any suggestions? Did I possibly screw up checking it at first and it was really low to begin with?

It's a 2011 Explorer XLT V6 2WD. I used the Motorcraft Mercon LV fluid so it should be the exact same fluid that was in there.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:59 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 880 Likes on 731 Posts
Did you check the fluid level hot or cold when beginning your exchange process? How about later?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:37 AM
WhiskeyNitro
New User
I checked it hot after driving for about 20 minutes and then going through the gears. After the last change, I checked it after 10 minutes of driving and it looked good.

There are no leaks that I see. I keep it parked in the garage and the floor and drain plug area has remained dry. I read that the plug is easy to overtighten so I made sure to make note of how many turns it took to loosen. I retightened the same amount after each change.

I did end up driving again last night and after 10 minutes it was just below the hashmarks. I added about 1/4 of a quart because I figured it has to be low. I drove another 15 minutes and checked again. It was just above the hashmarks so I added the rest of it and after 10 minutes of driving again it was just below the maximum line. I checked it one more time when I got home and it was still right below the maximum line. Finally, it's good, right?

Well, this morning for good measure I parked in what I'm pretty sure is a fairly level parking lot and I'll be damned if it's not below the damn line again! This was after 17-18 minutes of driving mostly on the interstate at 75 and the last 5 minutes I was doing around 45-50. I don't get it.

I took out 13.5 quarts and I have now put in 14. I hate to keep adding and I'm really starting to feel like an idiot at this point.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:17 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely don't add anymore. I'd say you're good where you have it. You don't want to over-fill.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:58 PM
WhiskeyNitro
New User
Originally Posted by UP_There
Definitely don't add anymore. I'd say you're good where you have it. You don't want to over-fill.
Thanks, and nope I'm not adding more. If it is over by half a quart do you think it would be an issue? I know transmissions are picky. Honestly, I have not noticed any issues with it but we have not driven it very much since. I'm sure I am overthinking it but just seems I should be able to get a consistent reading.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:34 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiskeyNitro
Thanks, and nope I'm not adding more. If it is over by half a quart do you think it would be an issue? I know transmissions are picky. Honestly, I have not noticed any issues with it but we have not driven it very much since. I'm sure I am overthinking it but just seems I should be able to get a consistent reading.
I'm not qualified to give that answer haha. I'd ask a Ford mechanic.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:26 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 776 Likes on 707 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiskeyNitro
A half quart over shouldn't be an issue.