Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Alooooha!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:32 AM
Frank6868
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alooooha!

Hey everyone I am new to this site and feel a bit naked so don't be judgmental people. I'm hoping to find help on injector rebuilding for an F550 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel. I know that many people advise against it but I like working on cars and trucks and am mechanically inclined although I am not a mechanic by profession. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
I would appreciate any help on this subject. I normally swing a hammer, but alas "The Wrench is Mightier Than the Sword", well... at least in this case. Clowning aside, I really do need help on Injector rebuilding. A Certified Mechanic from a Ford Dealership diagnosed my truck and told me the Injectors needed to be rebuilt or replaced (Hard starts or no starts in the mornings). Not knowing what was wrong beforehand I replaced the injector relay, valve cover gaskets, VC harnesses, and Glow plugs. Maybe not necessary, but I enjoyed working on my Diesel Truck. I now need to fix the real problem so please help me out if you can people.

Frank

Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Call Clay! He's a straight shooter and will be selling you all kinds of stuff soon any way ^so you might as well get acquainted now!
Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts | Ford 7.3 diesel | 7.3 powerstroke | Ford Powerstroke | 7.3L Powerstroke Parts
Jim & fat Monty

Old 10-29-2011, 08:36 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome to FTE Frank.

I've moved your thread to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel forum for more assistance with your issue.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:48 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Frank. Welcome to FTE.

You say you work with a hammer. Are you in prison??? jk

Did you have the codes read again after you did those repairs? Let us know what the problem is you are having and we might could figure this out before you start spending the money for injector rebuild. What are the symptoms you are having?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Hi Frank and welcome to FTE, I myself would shy away from a self rebuild of your injectors. Because if you don't have away of flow testing them you could do more harm than good. Call and talk to Clay as posted in post #2

Old 10-29-2011, 11:16 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Welcome to the 7.3 side of FTE! Glad to see someone else step up the the "big" trucks.
I myself would probably shy away from rebuilding a set of injectors, and I'll tackle just about anything. Like said above, without the proper flow equipment you could make things worse, or miss something that should have been done. Thanks for being here, new 7.3 Brothers are always welcome.

Barney

Old 10-29-2011, 11:20 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

You can rebuild those injectors with a kit from Rosewood if they still sell them then send them to Riffraff for flowbench testing: Riffraff Diesel: 7.3L HEUI Injector Flow Testing

This could easily turn into a more expensive time consuming effort though if post rebuild flow testing reveals issues.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:34 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Jim used to sell DIY kits to rebuild injectors. He stopped because there were just too many issues. You can read it from him here Performance Injectors for 7.3L Ford Power Strokes

Old 10-29-2011, 11:52 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

There you have it, good decision on Jim's part in my opinion.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
If you can't get the pieces no use trying. Pull the injectors, send them to Clay, have them bench tested, and see what you got. If they are really bad he'll put the price tord new injectors or rebuilt. How many miles on the truck and did you buy it new? Most times it not the injectors but other components.
Chet

Old 10-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Frank6868
New User
HEY EVERYONE!

I’d like to thank all of you for such a fast reply to my help request, yes I will call Clay to see what is available in the way of supplies or advice, I did see on his website that Clay has OEM exterior o-ring kits for Powerstroke Injectors, THANKS HotRodDsl!

Actually I’m not in prison Miller_feed although I often feel that way. The following are the codes that I got from the Certified Ford Mechanic after the repairs: P0263, P0269, P0272, P0281. That was on cylinders #1, #3, #4, #7. Also codes: P1316 which is an injector driver module, P1670 which is an electronic feedback signal. And code P0603 power interrupt from when I removed the batteries.

The symptoms are hard starts or no starts, especially when colder weather. After the truck has started in the morning there are no problems, when I hooked up to the block heater I also had no problems to start.

To Deluxe06, I’m lucky to have a place that will test Injectors; it’s about 45 minutes from where I live so I would be able to walk them in to be tested.

To Honeydew and F350-6, I absolutely agree with you both, I know from reading posts on other sites that the DIY kits were the best explained, most complete, and least expensive.

I feel bad that Jim from Rosewood Diesel has decided to stop selling the rebuild kits, but from what I have read on the internet and personal experience as a business owner (Construction Contractor) I totally understand his decision. There will always be some unethical customers which will not take responsibility for their own wrong doings, blame others and waste your time.

I myself was recently involved on a construction project where the owner took unlicensed sub-contractors to do parts of the project that were open to bids. Then the owner later blamed me for the consequences of the unlicensed sub-contractor’s faulty work. Although I was ultimately vindicated by the Contractors State License Board, it took two years of my life at great loss of time, work opportunities, sleep, and funds spent on legal defense.

My only wish is that Jim would make his knowledge available to those of us who would not abuse the privilege of his goodwill in sharing his knowledge and understanding of Ford Diesel fuel injectors; without the fear of liability from unscrupulous and ungrateful customers.

Again I thank all of you and ask that you please keep sending me your suggestions and any help/instructions or best places to purchase parts.
Frank

Last edited by Frank6868; 10-29-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 10-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Sounds like the UVC harness on the passenger side may be loose / not fully connected since it's reading 1,3,7.

ON EDIT: Looks like you replaced the UVCH and valve cover gasket, but maybe check that the connection is tight.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Frank,

Where in the SFV are you located? I'm in south Reseda.

I highly can endorse Clay at RiffRaff. One of the Good Guys here (though almost all are).

I may have some info that you could use, too.

Contact me by clicking on the link below.

Pop

Old 10-29-2011, 08:03 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank6868

I feel bad that Jim from Rosewood Diesel has decided to stop selling the rebuild kits, but from what I have read on the internet and personal experience as a business owner (Construction Contractor) I totally understand his decision. There will always be some unethical customers which will not take responsibility for their own wrong doings, blame others and waste your time.
I don't think it had to do with unethical customers. Rebuilding injectors and making them work correctly is harder to do than it sounds. Sure you can put the parts in the right places, but getting a set of balance injectors after a rebuild is more than a DIY project.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:42 AM
Frank6868
New User
Hey To All!

Thanks Tailgate, I will check it out

Thanks Pop, I sent you an email; I live at the north end of the Valley, near where the 5 and the 210 meet

Thanks 350-6
Although many things may at times be open to interpretation, I consider ethics to be a set of “Good Rules”, by which we are guided; at least this is one interpretation.

About the difficulty of rebuilding injectors, I don’t take it lightly at all. I am prepared to put my nose to the grindstone and make my efforts successful, complete with lab testing. I am not really as financially flush as I was a couple of years ago, so rebuilding the injectors myself will help me out. But even when I could afford paying someone else I preferred doing it myself, I really do like mechanical work, and I’ve had a great deal of interest in Diesel engines since this is the first one I’ve owned.

And I assure you this will not be the last. It is my wish to purchase a Club Cab Diesel pickup truck when I have the opportunity. So this repair will go a long way in helping me now financially, and in the future to be self-reliant. So I sincerely thank all of you for your tips and suggestions and... PLEASE PEOPLE KEEP THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS COMING!!!

Frank

Quick Reply: Alooooha!