1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brand of Gas do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What brand of Gas do you use?

Just curious to what brand of gas people are using and why. Is there a brand better then others? better MPG? better for the engine? I usually just put in Speedway gas here in MI, seems to be the cheapest around. But if there is a better gas that would yield better results, even for more money, I would be ok with that.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:33 PM
raidscsi
Senior User
Although there are a lot of brands. There is no such thing as a brand of gas. Gas sold at gas stations is not of any specific brand. Some claim to add "additives", but it's a marketing ploy as far as I can tell as they have to add certain amounts of additives per federal regulations.

I would just worry about cheap gas station owners that let water into their storage tanks.

Another Link

Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
really, your best bet is to watch which stations have the most traffic

2 reasons
1. Virtually no chance of water in the tanks. their tanks will be high volume and in better shape

2. better prices since they have higher volume
otherwise, run 87 octane and enjoy the truck. Don't run anything else unless you are custom tuned

Old 10-24-2011, 04:20 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I pretty much always buy mobil gas, even though it is usually the most expensive. my parents have always bought at mobil because of their mobil/exxon cards so i guess i just got used to going there.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:24 PM
V10ZILLA
Senior User
I run 87 Oct. I usally use either Mobil, Chevron and Shell. I prefer Mobil but look for the others if mobil is not around. I would like to use BP. but we do not have it here. BP is suppose to be oil not from the middle east.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:31 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kmonty2
Just curious to what brand of gas people are using and why. Is there a brand better then others? better MPG? better for the engine? I usually just put in Speedway gas here in MI, seems to be the cheapest around. But if there is a better gas that would yield better results, even for more money, I would be ok with that.
My local grocer (Giant Eagle) cuts me a break on their gas when I spend money at their store. With 7 people in my house, my grocery bills are ~$400 week, and they cut me .10/gal for every $50 I spend, so I get a break there. In return, for every 10 gallons I buy at their stations, they give me 1% off my grocery bill (3%/week). There food and fuel prices are in line with everyone's else... Otherwise I hit the local Shell or Sunoco..

Originally Posted by Tylus
otherwise, run 87 octane and enjoy the truck. Don't run anything else unless you are custom tuned
The 6.2 actually gains hp by running a higher octane with a stock tune. It's not much but better than nothin'...

Direct link to post added (mike-v8ford is the 6.2 engineer):
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8833938

Last edited by 2000silverbullet; 10-24-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: link added
Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by V10ZILLA
I run 87 Oct. I usally use either Mobil, Chevron and Shell. I prefer Mobil but look for the others if mobil is not around. I would like to use BP. but we do not have it here. BP is suppose to be oil not from the middle east.
I got news for you and all the others. First of all, I haul the stuff for a living. Second, ALL the major branded (and some of the nonbranded Racetrack, Speedway, etc) gasoline is now blended with ethanol, anywhere from 10% (E10) up to 85% (E85) ALL the major brands have their own mix of additives blended into the gasoline at the loading rack. You may [I]think[I] you're buying Chevron's gas made by Chevron, (or take your pick of other companies) but everyone loads from a common loading rack(s) where the rack has multiple storage tanks for each brand's additives. So you want to buy BP only fuel ? Good luck with that. You're not likely going to get BP made gasoline, unless the station is on a BP refinery parking lot. Even then, it could have come from anotherr refinery. Stations and marketers buy based on the price of the day, whatever loading rack has the cheapest price, that's where EVERYBODY gets their gas from that day (with very few exceptions) If a Chevron marketer can get his fuel (blended to Chevron's specs and additives) cheaper from a Citgo refinery, that's where he'll buy it. Bottom line is, buy your gas whereever you choose, wherever you think you'll get the best gas with the best mileage, but don't ever think the gas you're buying was made by that particular company, cause it probably wasn't. Here in south Louisiana, there are about ten loading racks owned by as many oil companies (and pipeline operators) and the ALL sell each others blend of fuel. And there are another half dozen refineries that ship their fuel via pipeline exclusively to other parts of the country. One I personally know of sold ALL their production to Goldman-Sachs simply so Goldman-Sachs could play the market with in New York and New Jersey. All that aside, Chevron, Texaco and Shell have the best additive blend, all the others are inferior, Exxon-Mobil included. Some of the crappiest gas I've ever seen came from an Exxon-Mobil refinery and was dumped into a Pilot Travel Centers truck stop tank. The temperature of the fuel when you pump it also has an effect on your mileage. Those high volume stations ? You know, the ones who sell 4 loads of fuel a day ? Well their tanks have just as good a chance of having water in their fuel (actually better than average as some of the water comes with the fuel from the loading rack) as anyone else does, but the bigger drawback (in the summer months mostly) is that fuel was (if it came straight from a refinery) loaded hot (temp wise) and never got a chance to cool down in the storage tank and you likely got that same hot fuel as you pumped it into your vehicle. Hot fuel is less dense as cool fuel is, so as a result, you get less fuel than that from a station that's not a high volume dealer. Fuel pump suction pipes are raised about 8" off the tank bottom, and the driver regularly checks the stick for water (if he's doing his job right) so a low volume dealer is actually less likely to have water in his fuel than one that moves a bigger volume of fuel does.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I've always got the best mileage and less pinging on shell fuels. That is all I use as well as shell oil.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
2002 F350V10
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work for a company which does have a gas station at 1 location. The brand name advertised is Minuteman, however on the invoices when its delivered, the actual billing source varies from marathon, citgo, phillips 66, shell, minuteman, or valero, depending on who sells at a better price that day.

Sometimes to make mid grade, they are blending so many gallons of regular and so many gallons of premium when they drop it in our tanks.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by baddad457
I got news for you and all the others. First of all, I haul the stuff for a living. Second, ALL the major branded (and some of the nonbranded Racetrack, Speedway, etc) gasoline is now blended with ethanol, anywhere from 10% (E10) up to 85% (E85) ALL the major brands have their own mix of additives blended into the gasoline at the loading rack. You may [i]think[i] you're buying Chevron's gas made by Chevron, (or take your pick of other companies) but everyone loads from a common loading rack(s) where the rack has multiple storage tanks for each brand's additives. So you want to buy BP only fuel ? Good luck with that. You're not likely going to get BP made gasoline, unless the station is on a BP refinery parking lot. Even then, it could have come from anotherr refinery. Stations and marketers buy based on the price of the day, whatever loading rack has the cheapest price, that's where EVERYBODY gets their gas from that day (with very few exceptions) If a Chevron marketer can get his fuel (blended to Chevron's specs and additives) cheaper from a Citgo refinery, that's where he'll buy it. Bottom line is, buy your gas whereever you choose, wherever you think you'll get the best gas with the best mileage, but don't ever think the gas you're buying was made by that particular company, cause it probably wasn't. Here in south Louisiana, there are about ten loading racks owned by as many oil companies (and pipeline operators) and the ALL sell each others blend of fuel. And there are another half dozen refineries that ship their fuel via pipeline exclusively to other parts of the country. One I personally know of sold ALL their production to Goldman-Sachs simply so Goldman-Sachs could play the market with in New York and New Jersey. All that aside, Chevron, Texaco and Shell have the best additive blend, all the others are inferior, Exxon-Mobil included. Some of the crappiest gas I've ever seen came from an Exxon-Mobil refinery and was dumped into a Pilot Travel Centers truck stop tank. The temperature of the fuel when you pump it also has an effect on your mileage. Those high volume stations ? You know, the ones who sell 4 loads of fuel a day ? Well their tanks have just as good a chance of having water in their fuel (actually better than average as some of the water comes with the fuel from the loading rack) as anyone else does, but the bigger drawback (in the summer months mostly) is that fuel was (if it came straight from a refinery) loaded hot (temp wise) and never got a chance to cool down in the storage tank and you likely got that same hot fuel as you pumped it into your vehicle. Hot fuel is less dense as cool fuel is, so as a result, you get less fuel than that from a station that's not a high volume dealer. Fuel pump suction pipes are raised about 8" off the tank bottom, and the driver regularly checks the stick for water (if he's doing his job right) so a low volume dealer is actually less likely to have water in his fuel than one that moves a bigger volume of fuel does.
Everything said here makes a lot of sense. The station I go to is a very high volume and I do sometimes see them get filled up twice a day. Today it was 3.22 and it was jammed pack with cars. It is a Speedway and I am pretty sure they buy the cheapest gas they can, kinda like the Walmart of fuel. The Shell station across the street was empty and it was 3.29, people only see the 7 cent cheaper gas and not realize they are only saving $1.40 if they put in 20 gallons, which most don't, hell I usually don't put in 20 gallons and my truck hold 35. This was the exact reason why I asked the question. So for the next few weeks I am going to try the Shell gas across the street and see if I notice any difference.
I did know about the temp thing with the gas and only fill early in the morning or after dark when the temps are lowest.

I will keep everyone informed of what I find.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Everything is regional. All gas comes from a central pipeline, but depending on where you are may get treated differently. I know what I am in Los Angeles fuel area, which gets some cleaning additives. Also, major brands will add additives to their fuel once they get it out of the main pipe. Around here, I have the best luck with Shell gasoline. Its cheapest and I get a smoother idle and better MPG than with Chevron (my two closest stations).

Typically I avoid off name stations for gasoline, such as Valero or Thrifty. They do not add the extra additives that the other stations do, which help keep your engine clean.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 PM
F250CCowner
Senior User
I have to admit that a few weeks ago when i filled up with chevron that my mileage did improve a bit over the course of the entire tank. I filled with shell after and it went back down. This time I filled with Arco( BP) and want to see if i notice any difference. One thing that i want to do again is when i added the chevron I also added a gumout fuel stabilizer to tank which is supposed to reduce the effect of ethanol and water. That is when I had my best mileage to date. I drive exactly the same up the Cajon pass everyday so i try to take the human error out of it. After this tank of BP I am going back to chevron and the additive and see if i can duplicate my results. I will also get a scangauge II and use that to monitor MPG as well. I am just on a quest for the best MPG from this beast as I cant trade it in yet nor do i want to but i need it for daily driving.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
The 6.2 actually gains hp by running a higher octane with a stock tune. It's not much but better than nothin'...

Direct link to post added (mike-v8ford is the 6.2 engineer):
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8833938
Cool to hear. Ford has been doing that in the little cars since 2010

My 09 Bullitt had the dual fuel maps and you could tell a huge performance hit when running 87 vice 92

Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Everything is regional. All gas comes from a central pipeline, but depending on where you are may get treated differently. I know what I am in Los Angeles fuel area, which gets some cleaning additives. Also, major brands will add additives to their fuel once they get it out of the main pipe. Around here, I have the best luck with Shell gasoline. Its cheapest and I get a smoother idle and better MPG than with Chevron (my two closest stations).

Typically I avoid off name stations for gasoline, such as Valero or Thrifty. They do not add the extra additives that the other stations do, which help keep your engine clean.
Your fuel comes from either a refinery(LA) , or a pipeline from a refinery. The additives are injected into the line that's loading the truck that transports the fuel from those points to your station. The only thing different in your case between Chevron and Shell gasoline is the additives. The gasoline(and the ethanol blended into it, also when it's loaded into the truck) is the same and came from the same fuel rack. And there's a better than average chance that Valero made the Shell gasoline you picked as your favorite. Valero is one of the largest refining companies in the US.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 AM
F250CCowner
Senior User
So all gas is basically the same. Uber weak. Forget it I am going with this set up for my SD

Quick Reply: What brand of Gas do you use?