1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Electric wiper motor replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Joe, check the grease inside the two gearboxes. On the one of mine I opened, all the grease had turned stiff and was around, but not touching, the gears. In other words there was a lot of grease but it wasn't doing any good.

As far as not stopping, there is a little button in the motor switch (on the motor) that rides a cam. That is the parking switch. Mine was really worn and didn't really break the circuit.
I cleaned out the old grease and replaced it with good grease. I figured that switch was the parking switch, and maybe that's where the problem lies. I'll have to check it before reinstalling the mechanism. Can that switch also cause the motor not to run?

The way it was wired, the middle wire is hot (6 vdc) all the time. Is that correct? I don't trust anything the PO did after seeing that "power" lead connected to ground.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:23 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
I don't have it in front of me, but my recollection is that the cam that actuates the parking switch depends on a plastic pin that pushes on a contact. The contact interupts power going to the unit (so it kills power when the arms get into the right position). If that's out of adjustment or the pin is bad, it could prevent any operation, or make it always On.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Here's a dumb question... How does the **** come off the wiper control switch? I don't see any set screw, and I don't want to force it and break it.

And for that matter, how do the choke and throttle ***** come off? I bought new cables, but I can't get the old ***** off.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just pull up on w/s wiper switch ****. It may be stuck due to age. The other ***** should come off the same way, if I remember correctly. There may also be a release button or whole on the bottom of the choke and throttle housings.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Just pull up on w/s wiper switch ****. It may be stuck due to age. The other ***** should come off the same way, if I remember correctly. There may also be a release button or whole on the bottom of the choke and throttle housings.
I'll try that with the wiper ****.

I think the choke and throttle have to be some other trick. If they came off with a pull, they'd come of when the cable is all the way out. I've tried twisting them, to no avail. The replacement cables are threaded for new *****, which also are threaded. I didn't see any holes in the *****, but I'll look again. I think they may be glued on.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Wipers work great!

Well, except I'll need new blades whenever I finally drive the truck... in the rain.

I checked the function of the parking switch, and noticed the cam wasn't hitting it evenly, so I made a little molecular realignment with some needlenose, and now it stops and starts like it should.

I put the wiper assembly back in the truck, wired it up, turned it on, and voila! It works. I put the wipers on it to set the stopping position... and I had the gearboxes 180 out of sync, so the wipers were moving toward and away from each other, instead of back and forth together.

Out it came again. Reset the gearing so they're in sync. Reinstalled it, and everything works fine.

The double pole/single throw parking switch opens the circuits between the center "power" connection and the two "speed" connections on either side which are connected to the motor windings. These are shorted to the center power wire while the parking switch is closed.

Yeah, I know... clear as mud. But the wipers work.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Joe, that's great! Mine work fairly well in the rain.....I think they need new arms or springs to keep the blades tight against the glass. So what's next?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:12 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Is this on 12v? (I forget)

Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tinman52
So what's next?
I want to put new choke and throttle cables on it. I have the new ones, but can't get the old ***** off the old cables.

I'll probably replace the tie rod next. I got the old one fairly straight, and adjusted the toe, but I really should replace the tie rod. It's on my list.

And I want to tune it and check the timing. It runs great, but hesitates slightly when I step on the gas. I haven't even really looked at the points yet. Since I won't be driving it til I can afford to replace the widow makers and tires, it's really not a big deal yet. I haven't looked at the brakes yet either. Same reason as above.

Then I'm gonna rewire the whole truck. Then I want to put a bed on it. Then eventually, some body work and paint, but I want to drive it for a while first.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
No this is a stock 51 with 6 volt positive ground.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Ross, that avatar pic is killing me.....change it back! OWWW my eyes!!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2011, 11:56 PM
BigB9000
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 volt positive ground?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BigB9000
6 volt positive ground?
Yes, 6 volt positive ground. What's the question? That's stock for this truck.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Wiper test

Why can't I delete a post?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Wiper test

We had our first rain for quite a while in Riverside today, so I wanted to test the wipers.
My Ford F4 :: Wipers work video by JollyRogerJoe - Photobucket

I'm going to run a ground wire from the motor body so I don't get "intermittent" wipers.

Quick Reply: Electric wiper motor replacement question