auto lamp sensor - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

auto lamp sensor

Old 10-16-2011, 04:40 PM
ItsMREMT
Senior User
ItsMREMT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ItsMREMT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
auto lamp sensor

I have the sensor out of a 2005 F150. There are five wires I would like to know what they are for please and thank you.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:28 AM
shorebird
Post Fiend
shorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputationshorebird has a superb reputation
I have scoured my factory wiring manual and I am unable to identify the sensor you picture.
The manual does not show a component with the wires shown in a '04-'08.
I may have missed it.

Are you sure that the object came from a '05?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 AM
ItsMREMT
Senior User
ItsMREMT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ItsMREMT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
yep I stole it from my old truck. It on the dash of all xlts and above it blinks red at night when you get out of it. But most importantly it senses the light if it gets dark the lights turn on.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
That is not what turns the lights on when it gets dark out that is the sensor for the key fob. The sensor that picks up when it gets dark out is up behind the rear view mirror. I have that sensor you are holding on my 2006 on the dash and it blinks red but only when I lock the doors from the key fob.

The sensor you are needing would of had a photocell on it and what you are holding does not. If you still have your old truck then raid it again as that one in your hand should be in your new truck already.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 PM
ItsMREMT
Senior User
I'm not sure if I agree 100% with that. Reasons why is 1) I use to put my license plate in the front left window and, I wondered why my lights where always on when I got out. 2) There is a post on another forum where people tape it with dark tape to get daytime running light.

If you have one turn your auto lamps on and cover it with your hand and in a few seconds your lights should turn on.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 PM
MCDavis
Post Fiend
MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ItsMREMT View Post
I'm not sure if I agree 100% with that. Reasons why is 1) I use to put my license plate in the front left window and, I wondered why my lights where always on when I got out. 2) There is a post on another forum where people tape it with dark tape to get daytime running light.

If you have one turn your auto lamps on and cover it with your hand and in a few seconds your lights should turn on.
15 seconds or more in fact. Sorry Drew but ItsMREMT is right on this one.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 PM
ItsMREMT
Senior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
15 seconds or more in fact. Sorry Drew but ItsMREMT is right on this one.
Thanks Davis! Us Davis folk have to stick together. lol

Old 10-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
OK so I was wrong they used to be behind the mirrors hadn't checked so figured it was still there.

On a side note next time don't send someone a PM that is just **** poor I check back here and always admit when I am wrong about something. If you are right it doesn't require a PM to prove it.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:43 PM
ItsMREMT
Senior User
lol the reason for the pm was cause it was a link that this forum doesn't approve. I tried to post something for there before and it was frowned on so yea.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 PM
MCDavis
Post Fiend
MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Coskid View Post
OK so I was wrong they used to be behind the mirrors hadn't checked so figured it was still there.

On a side note next time don't send someone a PM that is just **** poor I check back here and always admit when I am wrong about something. If you are right it doesn't require a PM to prove it.
Drew are you serious?
ItsMREMT, if this is true, that's just poor stewardship on your part man. Those kinds of actions won't gain you too many friends around here.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Yeah its true

Old 10-17-2011, 03:19 PM
ItsMREMT
Senior User
*sigh* if someone can tell me what these wires go to it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2011, 04:11 PM
dchamberlain
Post Fiend
dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Edit: Sorry, my brain sticks on F-250. I didn't realize this was the F-150 forum.

Give me a bit and I'll see what I can find in the way of diagrams.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:15 PM
ItsMREMT
Senior User
Thank you sir! You are correct, I took this from my 05 F150 Lariat. I would love to figure out how to make this work on my 05 PSD.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM
dchamberlain
Post Fiend
dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
I'm not sure that sun load sensor will work. I've attached two diagrams. The first one is the diagram for a 2004 F-250. The F-250 sun load sensor is 3 wires, one ground, one to the VSM for the auto lamps and one to the EATC if you have it. They are simple photoelectric diodes that either pass current or make current (I'm not sure which) depending on the amount of light they receive.

The second diagram shows 2 of the wires going to the sensor you have. Other wires are power, ground and a wire for the security indicator light. That diagram indicates logic circuitry in the sensor itself that may not make it compatible.

I would hook a DVOM to the two wires shown (white with a violent stripe and black with a light blue stripe). See if their is current on those two wires when the sensor is in the sun vs when it is not in the sun, and see if their is resistance on those wires in the sun vs not in the sun.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: auto lamp sensor

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.