1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

STARTER

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 AM
otpracer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STARTER

Hey guys. I am replacing my fourth piece of crap Adavanced auto reman starter.They are giving me my money back because they say there is something wrong with my truck. They don't even consider it being a *****ty reman process with crappy parts...
Anyway, I want to get a brand new one. i did some searching on here and didn't get a definitive answer. What are you all thinking would be the best starter? Powermaster or some other brand. Give me some good feedback.
Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-16-2011, 12:13 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
I've priced new Ones and they are over $300 I paid like $120 for mine a few years ago at o rielly auto parts it's still works fine. If you want new look for one not made in
China bosuch maybe

Old 10-16-2011, 01:22 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Get one for a SuperDuty, or any good gear reduction starter. Yes, they only use two of the three mounting bolts, and you may have to ream out one of the wire terminals. But they mount up just fine (use some LocTite), and spin the crank MUCH faster.

One of the major players is DB Electrical. Thing is, I read as much negative about them as positive.

And yeah, it's unlikely there's anything wrong with your truck. Most reman parts these days (p/s pumps, starters, alts, etc) are remanned in Mexico. It's actually cheaper for them to occasionally honor the "lifetime warranty", and bank on most of the parts going into cars that will be re-sold or junked before they'll need to be warrantied out, than to have them rebuilt by decently-paid labor with decent-quality parts.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:01 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...l#post10189907

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-starters.html

We've done some significant posting on starters in the last year. If you have the time, read those two threads.

Steer clear of the DB Electric starters. They are cheap Chinese knockoffs of the genuine Denso starter. I own the genuine Denso and it has been reliable for the 10-months it's been in. It was spendy, though. I don't mind spending extra to get better quality.

Avoid the "Lifetime Warranty" parts in general and instead go for quality reman or just good quality new units. The idea is to get you coming back for a lifetime for more parts. They make money off of you in the long run.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:06 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by deadsenator
Avoid the "Lifetime Warranty" parts in general and instead go for quality reman or just good quality new units. The idea is to get you coming back for a lifetime for more parts. They make money off of you in the long run.
Not only that, they're mostly all remanned in Mexico for crazy dirt cheap. So it's actually cheaper for them to occasionally honor the "lifetime" warranty than to use decent quality parts and pay people fairly to rebuild them (and maybe keep the jobs in the U.S.?). And they also bank on the majority of the parts going into vehicles that will be resold or scrapped before anyone needs the warranty.

Where did you get the Denso?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:42 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
Not only that, they're mostly all remanned in Mexico for crazy dirt cheap. So it's actually cheaper for them to occasionally honor the "lifetime" warranty than to use decent quality parts and pay people fairly to rebuild them (and maybe keep the jobs in the U.S.?). And they also bank on the majority of the parts going into vehicles that will be resold or scrapped before anyone needs the warranty.

Where did you get the Denso?
Larry Buck here in Washington: Ford Super Starter

When I looked at Bosch alternators, they are remanned here in the US (I still bought new!). Its just wise to do a little research before you plonk down your cash.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:52 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 10-16-2011, 03:54 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Good point, Darin. I forgot about the Mean Green. Maybe we should get starter choices added to the stickies tech section. It seems there are a short list of the recommended starters. Since it is a common part to replace, it might be easier than having repeat discussions about it.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
I bought a DB starter, last about 2 months... They made the refund process a hassle. I decided it was worth the O'riellys starter with a lifetime warranty because there is always a store within a close proximity to where I am.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 AM
BIGRED 7.3L
Elder User
I am more confused now that I read the older posts. If I want a motorcraft gear reduction starter, is it a two bolt or a three bolt? What year of truck do I need to ask for to get the correct starter? Do I get it from Ford or can I get a motorcraft from Napa? Some one set me straight here.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 AM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BIGRED 7.3L
I am more confused now that I read the older posts. If I want a motorcraft gear reduction starter, is it a two bolt or a three bolt? What year of truck do I need to ask for to get the correct starter? Do I get it from Ford or can I get a motorcraft from Napa? Some one set me straight here.
If you ask for a SD starter, it is a gear reduction starter and is only two bolt. However, I think you need to be careful because some stores won't take a 3 bolter back as a core...

I just bought the OEM replacement.. It's done more than the DB starter could have ever done.