Sponsored by:

Excursion Prices

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Ghadaz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion Prices

Hello, I live in Scottsdale Arizona and I would like to buy my first Excursion.
I am very confused as the prices vary greatly.

Looking for a 2001 Excursion Limited V10.

I found prices ranging from $4800 to $19K

Sometimes the more expensive vehicles have more mileage than the cheaper ones and have nothing extra like lift kits etc...

What should I expect to pay?

Found this ad 2001 FORD EXCURSION
Talked the guy down to $5500.
VIN # 1FMNU43S71EA61702 Carfax shows owner 1 service record at 30,036 miles:

Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Engine compression checked
A/C refrigerant recharged
Cooling system checked
Engine replaced
Engine checked
Remanufactured engine installed
Valve cover gasket(s) replaced

Is this something to be concerned about?
Current owner is owner 3 and says he knew nothing about engine replacement and that he has had the truck for 3 years and 8 months and truck runs great.

Thank you for all your help.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:58 AM
Daz00Excursion
My Backpack Gots Jets

Originally Posted by Ghadaz
Hello, I live in Scottsdale Arizona and I would like to buy my first Excursion.
I am very confused as the prices vary greatly.

Looking for a 2001 Excursion Limited V10.

I found prices ranging from $4800 to $19K

Sometimes the more expensive vehicles have more mileage than the cheaper ones and have nothing extra like lift kits etc...

What should I expect to pay?

Found this ad 2001 FORD EXCURSION
Talked the guy down to $5500.
VIN # 1FMNU43S71EA61702 Carfax shows owner 1 service record at 30,036 miles:

Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Engine compression checked
A/C refrigerant recharged
Cooling system checked
Engine replaced
Engine checked
Remanufactured engine installed
Valve cover gasket(s) replaced

Is this something to be concerned about?
Current owner is owner 3 and says he knew nothing about engine replacement and that he has had the truck for 3 years and 8 months and truck runs great.

Thank you for all your help.
Welcome to FTE!

well the price is pretty good. almost too good to be true. The Reman engine is a concern. i mean it depends where it was bought and installed. what kind of paperwork and warranty does it have? I would also ask if the 4x4 system has been serviced. it states in the ad that the AC needs to be serviced. now that is a toss up on what is exactly wrong with it. So i would ask if he has proof by a mechanic that looked at what is wrong with it. if not an ac compressor will run about $400-$500 according to (www.repairpal.com) total including labor will range from $650-$850. living in AZ i know ac is a must in the summer time. I see from the pictures it has some clear coat peel on the front hood. Dont know if thats a deal breaker for you but to me i would try and get the cleanest body/paint possible. Factoring all those cost to the total invested money in the deal is something i would think about.

My next question is does it have to be an 01 Limited? i think the difference between the XLT and Limited is just a few interior upgrades. but basically its all the same so to speak.

Cost wise i seen them in the paper from $4500-$20k ballpark. usually the gas vehicles is cheaper. (well here in socal prices) you will just have to do your homework in the end and try to get the most bang for your buck.

p.s. i know its a shameless plug but if your not dead set on an 01 Limited. I am in the market for a truck/EX but diesel so mine is for sale. its an 00 XLT with 83k miles leather interior. original motor/drivetrain. all the necessary maintenance has been done. everything works. nothing to do except put gas and go. pics and info is in my profile. Ill make ya a great deal on it!

Old 10-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Ghadaz
Senior User
Thank for the reply.

I am not dead set on a 2001 but for my price range $6K max, i figured that a 2001 will have to do.

I would rather have the limited model as I prefer the leather over cloth.

Not planning on doing much towing so spending the xtra cash on the diesel may not be the right choice.

As you said, I am looking for the best bang for my buck. $6K is my max because I know once I buy it, I will have to spend $$$ on full tune up, fluid flush and misc repair. Finding one with low miles and maintenance records is not easy.

On the one I found, The current owner had no idea the engine was replaced and has no maintenance records. He said he takes care of the regular maintenance himself. Doubt he had the 4x4 checked.

Thanks for pointing out the clearcoat peeling. Didn't even notice. Guess I just got too excited. Can't wait to find one.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
For your budget, you can probably score a nice Limited '02 V10 with a 100K-120K. Keep looking, you'll find what you're looking for.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Ghadaz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
For your budget, you can probably score a nice Limited '02 V10 with a 100K-120K. Keep looking, you'll find what you're looking for.
That would be great. Not so easy to find though. I have been all over Craigslist and Autotrader. Not too lucky. I have a buddy that is looking for me at the auctions but from what he says, they do not come by that often. I will keep looking.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:17 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Old 10-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Ghadaz
Senior User
Thanks wpnaes.

I try to be careful with Craiglist ads. Found one in AZ for $4800 but after talking to the guys, it seemed suspicious. Guy was selling it for a friend. Didn't know how to send carfax via email or fax. Finally he said he would have his cousin email me the carfax. After I txt him my email wich contained sniper and usmc in the same line, never heard from them again...

The other guy on craigslist is the link I have on my first post. I paid for the carfax report. Report showed there was a loan or lien issued. Called the DMV, they said there was a child support lien on the vehicle and the title was not transferable.

Not sure I want to deal with similar issues out of state. I will keep looking and hope something comes my way soon. I am too exited for an excursion. I have been reading posts on this forum for some time, looking at pics of mods etc... Can't wait to post pics of my new excursions here. LOL

Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 PM
simplyrob
Junior User
I paid $10K for my white 02 limited fully loaded, 1 owner V10 with 80K miles, garage kept, Leather looks like new, everything in showroom condition. Must have been garaged. It was a fair price. They wanted $13,500 originally. I love it, it's my second X. My first was the same exact model but a 2000, sold it after 4 years ownership with 22,000 miles on it. That was a huge mistake, missed the hell out of it. I'll never let go of this 2nd one.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 AM
Ghadaz
Senior User
Why did u sell it? I see a lot of people selling their excursions after 2 or 4 years. How come? is it the gas mileage?

I would think anybody purchasing an X shouldn't be concerned about gas mileage in the first place.

Are there any improvements between a 2000 and 2002?

How can you make sure the truck is worth buying if it has had multiple owners. Carfax doesn't show all the maintenance records and most owners are not always truthful. They usually say: Oh, I take care of the maintenance myself.

Can these trucks take a lot of abuse?

If you buy a truck that had multiple owners, with no maintenance history, is it safe to say the truck will be okay as long as full tune up, fluid flushes etc are done after purchase?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:19 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
The bolts holding the hitch receiver was beefed up in the '01 and up giving you more towing capacity. '02 (I believe) has more threads in the cylinder head to take care of the blowing spark plug issue. '02 added the trans temp gauge and also the digital odometer. Cup holders in the center console was made deeper.

Not sure if the '00 had the PI heads?

These are just some of the differences I can think of off the top of my head regarding the differences between the '00 and '02.

I wouldn't say just doing a tune up would be ok on a truck with no history. You'll need to test drive it and have a mechanic (or yourself if you know what you're doing) check it out.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Ghadaz
Senior User
So far, hard to find an X with good maintenance records. I'm sure one will come up soon.

I was looking to buy from a private party as they are cheaper but I might consider a dealership if I find a better vehicle with low miles and good maintenance records. May have to finance it but trying to avoid that and a dealership altogether.

I'm ok to do reg maintenance like all change, brakes etc... but I would prob have a mechanic inspect the vehicle. Plus its also a good bargaining tool when negotiating the price.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Make sure to also look on cars.com, carsforsale.com, and eBAy. Not everything on eBay is sold via auction, if that turns you off.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Ghadaz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Studawg
Make sure to also look on cars.com, carsforsale.com, and eBAy. Not everything on eBay is sold via auction, if that turns you off.
Went on carsforsale.com and found an 03 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 146K miles. asking $10995

Carfax shows 2 owners. Owner 1 shows regular maintenance record and a Drag Link End replaced in 2005.

Owner 2 purchased in 08 and shows 1 service at 138K.

The dealership that has it on sale today are saying its in pretty good shape. In the shop right now for an oil change, tire rotation, and a rattling from the exhaust. They found a small leak in the exhaust that they are rewelding. The guy also mentioned it had a flowmaster installed. Tires are at 50%.

Looks promising. Is 146K miles too much for an 03? with good care what is the expected life of a V10 engine.

My friends sister has a 2001 E 350 passenger van with a V10 for her transport company. she has over 750K miles.

Is 11K too much? It is a dealership.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:22 AM
simplyrob
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ghadaz
Why did u sell it? I see a lot of people selling their excursions after 2 or 4 years. How come? is it the gas mileage?

I would think anybody purchasing an X shouldn't be concerned about gas mileage in the first place.

Are there any improvements between a 2000 and 2002?

How can you make sure the truck is worth buying if it has had multiple owners. Carfax doesn't show all the maintenance records and most owners are not always truthful. They usually say: Oh, I take care of the maintenance myself.

Can these trucks take a lot of abuse?

If you buy a truck that had multiple owners, with no maintenance history, is it safe to say the truck will be okay as long as full tune up, fluid flushes etc are done after purchase?
I bought it to tow a travel trailer. Later I upgraded to a Class A RV and no longer needed the X. So it sat quite a bit. It killed me to sell it , but it just wasn't getting used much. My wife and I always talked later that we should have sold one of the other cars. Now we have a private business in addition to our full-time jobs requiring us to haul lots of product to different shows. So I started looking for a low mileage, well taken care of X and got lucky. I will not make the same mistake twice.

As far as the ability to take alot of abuse, I could not answer. i take extremely great care of all my vehicles. I would have a licensed mechanic check out any vehicle, records or not. As far as gas mileage goes, forget about it. It is what it is, plain and simple.

Last edited by simplyrob; 10-18-2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In 2002 they put in automatic climate control in the Limiteds and late 02 they added HVAC and radio controls on the steering wheel in Limiteds, but not Eddie Bauers.

I dont really know the market for the V10s, other than they are cheaper than the 7.3s.

It is worth seeing both the CARFAX and the Autocheck. I have seen cases where a vehicle had a clean CARFAX, meaning no accidents, and an accident showed up on the Autocheck, and I have also seen cases where a vehicle had a clean Autocheck and showed an accident on the CArfax.

Quick Reply: Excursion Prices