Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner
Old 11-25-2014, 12:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Loss of power with my 7.3l, rough running HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:07 PM
kexchange
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of power with my 7.3l, rough running HELP!

I have a 2001 ford 7.3l powerstroke diesel. When I first noticed the problem I was towing a trailer going up a grade and got into the throttle almost to the floor and noticed a loss of power and the service engine soon light flashing extremely rapidly a few times and never came back on. I made it home, still lacking power but not running rough. I drove the truck to work the next day and the truck was running rougher and loosing power. It ran great through lower RPM's but seemed to trip as soon as you gave it over half throttle. eventually the truck wouldn't run right at all and lacked complete power. It idled rough as well. My mechanic threw the computer on it and it said injector pressure reading too high or too low. I was told to replace the IPR on the HPOP and I did. (I also replaced the fuel filter and changed the oil). After replacing the IPR it ran great, had full power! then it began to slowly die like it did before until it sounded like it was running off 4 cylinders again. I pulled the ipr out, cleaned it and changed the oil again. It seemed to clear it up for an hour and ran great but then began ran rough again. I also replaced the CPS sensor. I feel like its not getting enough fuel or something, im just wondering if it could be the ICP or the lift pump. oh and there is no check engine light at all. Its just got me stumped because cleaning the IPR clears everything up.... temporarily.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Based on what you mentioned, I'd suspect the injector o-rings.
By any chance did you send your used oil to get analyzed? If so, was there any fuel in the oil?
Was your old fuel filter black when you pulled it out?

Another potential culprit could be a restriction in the tank OR a stuck Fuel Pressure Regulator. Both of those items can throw ICP codes. When you drained the fuel to change the filter...did you get about 16oz out or a lot less? Did the fuel spit out of the train tube? Almost like it was under a lot of pressure and had a bunch of air in it?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get more information in 7.3 liter section down on the main page.
Those trucks do have fine mesh inside the tank that is famous for getting clogged at higher mileage. Your symptoms fit the definition.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 PM
mikeyc0120
Senior User
On the right side of the fuel bowl looking down at it are the two fuel lines in (top) and out (bottom). Disconnect them using the nut and check the orings. Both of mine got torn up somehow in there and caused a huge lack of power as it was leaking fuel, not keeping the pressure up.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
If it is your ICP sensor disconnecting it, the truck should run better. I'm with Greg on the Oring possibility. Another would worn injectors.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:09 AM
kexchange
New User
Yes the fuel filter was rather black when I changed it out as I recall, would that be symptoms if bad o-rings?

Old 10-15-2011, 12:09 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Yes generally bad injector orings will cause an oil in fuel condition.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by kexchange
Yes the fuel filter was rather black when I changed it out as I recall, would that be symptoms if bad o-rings?
Could be. How about you check the new one and see how it looks? While you have the cap off, drain the fuel bowl and have someone turn on the key without starting the engine and watch to see how quickly the fuel bowl refills. It should fill up completely before the fuel pump times out.

Have some safety glasses on just in case the fuel comes out quicker than you expect.

Low fuel flow will freak out the PCM and it will throw ICP codes while it fights to keep the engine running so we should make sure your fuel system is up to par before changing any other parts.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:07 PM
pkm
Freshman User
whats the problem if u have to turn key 2-3 times to fill bowl?

Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 PM
pkm
Freshman User
whats the problem if it take 2-3 turns of the key to fill bowl

Old 10-15-2011, 06:13 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pkm
Either weak fuel pump or plugged up pick up foot filters inside the mixing bowl , inside the fuel tank! (search "hutch mod")
Jim & fat Monty

Old 10-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by pkm
Sounds like you found your problem. Time to drop the fuel tank and clean the screens or perform the in tank mode. Like Jim said...search for Guzzle Hutch mod and you should come across a nice write up.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:54 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Since you were new, you may not know who Guzzle is, here is a direct link to the hutch/harpoon modifications Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page You do not necessarily have to add the large filter/prepump setup, you could just do an inline NAPA filter PN 30007

Old 03-21-2013, 04:46 AM
ghostman
New User
this sounds just like me please help

Originally Posted by kexchange
I have a 2001 ford 7.3l powerstroke diesel. When I first noticed the problem I was towing a trailer going up a grade and got into the throttle almost to the floor and noticed a loss of power and the service engine soon light flashing extremely rapidly a few times and never came back on. I made it home, still lacking power but not running rough. I drove the truck to work the next day and the truck was running rougher and loosing power. It ran great through lower RPM's but seemed to trip as soon as you gave it over half throttle. eventually the truck wouldn't run right at all and lacked complete power. It idled rough as well. My mechanic threw the computer on it and it said injector pressure reading too high or too low. I was told to replace the IPR on the HPOP and I did. (I also replaced the fuel filter and changed the oil). After replacing the IPR it ran great, had full power! then it began to slowly die like it did before until it sounded like it was running off 4 cylinders again. I pulled the ipr out, cleaned it and changed the oil again. It seemed to clear it up for an hour and ran great but then began ran rough again. I also replaced the CPS sensor. I feel like its not getting enough fuel or something, im just wondering if it could be the ICP or the lift pump. oh and there is no check engine light at all. Its just got me stumped because cleaning the IPR clears everything up.... temporarily.

hi im new here but thissounds just like me ! can u please tell me where i should start and what u have found to be the problem? i really dont have the time or money to go through my truck the way it sounds u have. Anything thing will help thank u in advance!

Quick Reply: Loss of power with my 7.3l, rough running HELP!