1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wheel Backspacing Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:41 AM
1951flatheaddave
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Backspacing Question

Hello, 1951 F1 stock drivetrain. Will a wheel with a 6" backspacing fit on the rear without rubbing the leaf spring or stick out past the fender? Wheels are 18x10 with a 6" backspacing. The wheels dont have tires yet, that will come another day. I would just go measure myself but the rearend is currently out of the truck. Also, fronts are a 18x9 with a 5.5 inch backspacing. Not sure if they will turn lock to lock without rubbing or sticking out too far. I want the wheels because they are a good buy but just not sure if they will fit or not. If you need to know more info please ask, I am not sure what all you need to know.

Anyone running a wheel like this that can say for sure if they will fit or not?

Thanks, Dave

Old 10-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Can't help ya on the backspacing but if it's a really good deal you could buy spacers to push them out away from the bed? I had to use 2" wheel spacers, my setup is different than yours. I can't recommend spacers on the front though.
If nothing else, based on how good "GOOD DEAL" is, Could you resell for profit?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:21 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't know for sure but my guess is the tires will rub on the bed. I think about the widest wheel you can get away with in the rear is going to be about 8-9 inches wide...and even that will depend on back space being no more than about 4 inches. I used a Mopar rear end under my 48 which is almost identical to the stock rear in width and I could not use a wheel with more than a 3.5 inch back space in the rear. The 18 inch tires may give you some leeway that smaller diameter tires do not...

Old 10-09-2011, 03:22 PM
1951flatheaddave
Senior User
I think I could at least sell them to break even. I just don't want to buy them if I can't use them. I am pretty sure they will work but my luck just isn't that good with things

Old 10-10-2011, 10:47 AM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
woooah there horsey...
Slow down, you've posted about 6 different threads with wheel / backspacing/ rear end questions. Kinda looks like when you don't get the answer you want, you start a new thread.

I'm guessing you got a small chunk of cash burning a hole in your pocket and these are things you need to purchase so you are just all fired up to get all of em ordered. I hear ya, I am just inches from the finish line and I can't stand putting off decisions forcing the touchdown date to be farther off.

From this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html

I take it you are talking about the same truck, right?
So no - not completely stock drive train.

As a followup to these 2 threads I have to ask, did you put in a 9" or no?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-gearing.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-section.html

I take it you didn't go to a junkyard and get any test wheels w/ rollers or nothing?

Here's what you can do with just the rear end.

Stand your rear end up on jackstands (place them inside the spring perch.
Take a piece of carboard and mock up the spring & perch clearance - springs go straight up from the perch.
Mount a rim - any rim on it.
tape a hunk of carboard / wooden block / giant innertube / whatever you have onto the rim that approximates the tire and adds for the backspacing offset - does it rub anywhere.

Either you got to assemble it all and test it, or you got to mock it up.

You're way outside the bubble here putting super wide rims on - nobody is running that wide, my guess because they won't work.

Mock it all up and test it - that's the only real way to find out for sure.

Are you putting a modern power steering setup in the front - cause without it you won't have enough strength to pull into a parking space. The original steering setup had skinny tires and a giant steering wheel for a reason - you need the leverage to aim the truck at low speeds. Change out to huge wide tires, and not only will it rub, but you will not be able to turn the steering wheel.

I'm not trying to be a hard *** here, and not trying to look down on you or make fun. So don't take this as being pissy or nothin, just need you to take a deep breath and work forward *piece by piece* - your answers won't always be "I know" from here unless it is stock, they most often will be "I can tell you how to find out".

Old 10-10-2011, 02:06 PM
1951flatheaddave
Senior User
Brain, it was a simple yes or no question. If you do not know the answer you should keep your response to yourself.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1951flatheaddave
Brain, it was a simple yes or no question. If you do not know the answer you should keep your response to yourself.
I agree!