6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Towing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Indigofarm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing question

Random ?

Headed for a 12 hour ride tomorrow, pulling an empty 2 horse gooseneck trailer

Would you run in tow/haul mode ?

I always do when pulling livestock but wasn't quite sure if necessary empty?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:46 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I pull a 34 foot 5th wheel, 11,000 lbs, and the only time I ever use Tow Haul is in mountains or steep up and down hills. This truck pulling 11,000 lbs doesn't even work that hard.

I actually like the upshift firmness, but the downshifting really sucks everytime you slow down or just come to a red light.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:49 PM
DrewF
Senior User
I'd run without TH.

I only use it when on hills or in stop n go traffic with a load.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:18 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use T/H when in traffic or in the hills. The positive downshifts are advantageous in slowing down.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
If I have a trailer hooked up, I select the T/H. It changes the shift points, Helps me keep the EGT temps in line by not letting the engine lug, since it holds higher RPMs than the non-T/H. It engages the Exhaust Brake, and I don'tknow for sure, But I suspect it being selected allows the command center to track the miles on each trailer.

Why would you not select it?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
If I have a trailer hooked up, I select the T/H. It changes the shift points, Helps me keep the EGT temps in line by not letting the engine lug, since it holds higher RPMs than the non-T/H. It engages the Exhaust Brake, and I don'tknow for sure, But I suspect it being selected allows the command center to track the miles on each trailer.

I agree PH.

The T/H was designed to give better performance while towing and to increase the tranny pressures/shift points to keep the truck in it's power band. I like the downshifting deceleration feature. The exhaust brake does provide some benefit in hilly situations. I'm not too sure it comes into play much in slower speeds such as city traffic.

The mileage is tracked regardless of T/H. It will assign the miles to whichever trailer you have selected in the truck apps section.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:53 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by marchare011
I agree PH.

The T/H was designed to give better performance while towing and to increase the tranny pressures/shift points to keep the truck in it's power band. I like the downshifting deceleration feature. The exhaust brake does provide some benefit in hilly situations. I'm not too sure it comes into play much in slower speeds such as city traffic.

The mileage is tracked regardless of T/H. It will assign the miles to whichever trailer you have selected in the truck apps section.
I agree with above. Why not keep it in T/H mode? If the downshifting gets in the way, You can deselect T/H mode for a second.

ken

Old 10-07-2011, 05:02 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I run in T/H almost all the time, the size or weight of the trailer make no difference to me.

May noy be entirely logical but it's what I do. Only exception is in heavy stop and go (interstate back ups) and lengthy 2 lane highway runs when I prefer to run in M mode.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse

I agree as well. I drive in T/H a lot with no trailer at all.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Indigo, I pull a 36ft travel trailer, I use tow haul anytime I'm towing it....The truck seems to shift more logically when towing and in tow haul mode.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Fulltimer50
Senior User
In hilly or mountainous roads I prefer Manual shifting. Lets me choose the right gear at the right time without letting off the peddle to let the tranny shift in auto. I can also get the RPMs up to activate the exhaust brake effect sooner on the down grade before the speed gets to high.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
T/H has better programming in my opinion.
If I'm hooked to something, I'm in T/H.
I use manual mode for around town stuff.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:54 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I use the TH button mainly when going through the city where it is stop and go, and also going through hilly roads. The TH mode will never shift into 6th gear either, so when I am on the highway and get up to cruising speed I will turn it off. This will get you a little better MPG's. Also if you need the extra power the truck will shift back down to where it needs to be, whether it is 5th, 4th, or 3rd when you press the pedal and ask for more power.

Mine is a gas motor so maybe it is different with the diesel but we both have the same transmission. I was able to stay around 70 with TT and 13500 gross weight on the highway with no problem. So it should barley be any work for your truck either way. You probably won't need it on the expressway.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Indigofarm
Senior User
Thanks. It was late and I was thinking that it might decrease mpg by lowering gearing. And was double checking. I am not used to fuch a sophisticated tranny. Drove in t/h. All day and averaged 14.3 pulling the gooseneck.

Thanks got the responses.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Indigofarm
Senior User
Thanks. FOR. the responses

Quick Reply: Towing question