Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnets in oil and tranny pan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
What about the magnet itself losing force and getting pulled by the oil? that could cause issues, i think.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:28 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Encho
What about the magnet itself losing force and getting pulled by the oil? that could cause issues, i think.

While I don't think that would actually happen, it made me think of the magnet in the tranny pan. If that were to come loose, what would happen? Answer is nothing because the valve bodies in the tranny pan are all aluminum. There really isn't anything other than the tranny pan for that magnet to stick to. Maybe that is why magnets haven't been put in an oil pan (too close to ferrous metal components).

I'd still be willing to bet my house that a magnet wouldn't come loose or demagnetize. I don't think the environment is harsh enough to do either of those to a magnet.

Last edited by RIKIL; 10-06-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: cuz
Old 12-12-2014, 06:26 AM
Pop's
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost all engine cases have external oil filters that are replaceable. The filter element will trap particles down to it's rated micron filtration. The manufacture has no need to spend the extra money on magnets inside the pan. You should be dropping oil and filter frequently enough to catch most of the bad stuff; however, the SAE approves a number of magnet systems and endorses or recommends some of them. A magnet won't hurt anything, only help. A magnetized filter will trap 30-40% more metal than a filter alone.

Make sure to always use good quality filters! Change your filter with each oil change, and NEVER NEVER NEVER use the cheap ones, EVER. I use WIX brand or "NAPA Gold" and order it online, not over counter at Wal-Mart. I have seen the inside of Fram filters and Champion AC Delco that were nothing more than cardboard and hot glue with a wire screen around it. NO GOOD. I did AOAP Army Oil Analysis Program on 7 units' fleets of vehicles for 1-1/2 years. We send in a hot sample of engine, trans, and hydraulic oils. HMMWV's with NAPA Gold did not fail metal content as often as the others, in my own opinion.

I don't know what the pull rating is on the magnets from computer hard drives? Those guys are small and thin and super strong! Stick one on your toolbox and you might not get it back off. Stick one on the outside of an oil filter.

Another one to consider is the Performance Choice corvette filter magnet (65# pull). I am going to purchase one to try (unless I find out that hard drive magnets are stronger). Google "Corvette Oil Filter Magnet". Here is a link to Amazon:
Robot Check Robot Check

The reason why it is common for tranny pans to have a magnet in them from manufacturer is probably because you don't drop and change fluids and filter very often. I think magnets are a good idea.

So far as computers go, they are located external of the transmission and engine, usually in the cab somewhere. A magnet in the pan won't hurt anything.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:25 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kd0axs
One big difference. The tranny pan is dropped as part of normal maintenance when changing the fluid, so you can clean off the magnet then.
Not really, unless you do it yourself. Any shop that I've worked at or been to would just hook up their transmission "flush" machine and call it good. They would charge more if you actually wanted to pull the pan and filter.

I do my own work and pull the pan when I want to change trans fluid so it depends on who's doing the work.

as for the engine, stick a magnet in there if you want. Or just use a good filter... because remember not everything in there is magnetic. Copper and bronze for instance. If there are steel shavings in your engine then you have a serious problem and that magnet won't make it live significantly longer.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:55 AM
steve33444
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the magnet on the oil filter would the magnet go on the outside of the filter like around it? Or inside it? I don't really see how it could go on the inside but i don't know

Old 12-12-2014, 10:59 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by steve33444
For the magnet on the oil filter would the magnet go on the outside of the filter like around it? Or inside it? I don't really see how it could go on the inside but i don't know
It would go on the outside of the filter.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:02 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diff covers have magnets too, they never come off. They are the donut type.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:28 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I forgot to put my donut magnet back inside my trans pan last time. I just stuck it on the outside. I bet it is as effective at holding metal particles and is many time easier to just wipe the fuzz from the inside of the pan than off of the magnet itself.

And there should be enough 'almost' flat surface at the end of most oil filters to attach a magnet or two to.

Get the high pull ones from a hobby or scientific store. Not the Hobby Lobby kind, the kind that packages the magnets in a tube inside a tube so they won't stick to things. The kind that cause blood blisters on your fingers if you ain't careful.

Also, these strong magnets make a great pair of hands to hold the hook end of a strap while you work on the other side of your trailer dinking around with the ratchet end of the strap. I have 4 or 5 scattered about my 16' open trailer that I used to haul crap to the dump and fetch craigslist gold.