1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best wax?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:52 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best wax?

I am looking for the best wax to use to get rid of them fine "car wash" scratches in the paint...

My truck is black and it stands out so well, I am not trying to make them dissapear for good, just to try and hide them some...

Whats the best wax I should use and what would the process be?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2011, 08:37 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am using meguiars, synthetic sealant 2.0 and really like it, it helps cover up small blemishes and beads up for several months...Also easy to use

Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Zaino....

I gave my truck the complete Zaino treatment Spring 2010 and she looked brand new....not a scratch on her. (check my gallery)

Its more than just a wax/polish, it's technology and years of research that have paid off.

Zaino Store

Old 10-02-2011, 09:06 PM
The Metal Panda
Senior User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Zaino....

I gave my truck the complete Zaino treatment Spring 2010 and she looked brand new....not a scratch on her. (check my gallery)

Its more than just a wax/polish, it's technology and years of research that have paid off.

Zaino Store
Never heard of them before, but it looks impressive!

As for the OP, im using meguiars Nxt Gen Tech Wax 2.0. Stuff works hella good. Only like 15 bucks a bottle. Smells delightful as well.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:22 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks all, Ill check em all out!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 AM
XB70
Elder User
Waxes do not remove scratches or swirl marks. Waxes (now the generic term for a wide variety of synthetic last step sealants) may contain fillers which hide imperfections, but scratches and swirls need to be removed. If you use a wax/sealant with fillers to hide scratches, they will reappear after a wash or two.

I strongly suggest you check out the forums at meguiarsonline.com and autogeek.net to learn what you need to know about detailing your truck correctly.

That said, Finish Kare (a company owned by Barry Meguiar's brother) 1000P Hi Temp Paste Wax looks terrific and it is the most durable, longest lasting wax/sealant I've ever used.

Durability is important to me because detailing is a lot of work and detailing an F250 FX4 with a camper shell is more work.

The best wax/sealant is a matter of opinion. Zaino is like a Kool Aid drinking cult. I've attended training classes at Meguiar's headquarters in Southern California where Zaino using Corvette owners (85% of Zaino users seem to own Corvettes) insisted Zaino produced a superior finish until a side-by-side comparison was made.

95% of how good your wax looks depends on how well you washed, clayed and leveled (polished) the paint before you put on ant wax/sealant. Do it right and you will not be able to tell the difference between $5.98 Turtle Wax, $15 Meguiar's Tech Wax, or $259 SwissWax.

THe best wax in the world will look like crap on top of no or poor prep.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
I use 3M buffing compound with a wool pad and 3M wax on a foam pad on my dewalt buffer. Do it by hand around the plastic, otherwise the compound and wax will fling off the pad and onto the plastic, which creates extra clean up.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:12 AM
cyclone cj
New User
Ardex hands down. Tried them all and this is the best line of products I've found so far. They generally sell to detailing and body shops but do have a retail store for the hobbiest. Check them out online! Good Luck!

Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cyclone cj
Ardex hands down. Tried them all and this is the best line of products I've found so far. They generally sell to detailing and body shops but do have a retail store for the hobbiest. Check them out online! Good Luck!
do you do detailing for work? trying every product line must have taken a while

Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Any one ever tried Collinite Wax? We use it on the boat, but many guys around the local car clubs use it on their vehicles. I haven't had the truck long enough to try it yet.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:19 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This is like a tire or oil thread, you're gonna get a million opinions! haa haa. So I'll throw my .02 in.

I have a buddy here at work that is more into detailing his truck than I am about mine, so I went to him for some pointers. He pointed me to autogeek.net for some products he had a good experience with so I went that route. It was somewhat inexpensive and about 8 hours later, my '11 looked better than it did the day I picked it up. The wax is holding up great too, did it about 5 or 6 months ago and the dew on my truck in the mornings beads up and rolls off the hood as soon as I fire up the truck.

I clay barred the entire truck (used a meguire's kit from local auto zone), then used the following products (in order) that I bought from Autogeek:

DG-105 - Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) (sythentic wax)
CO-845 - Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 16oz. (carnuba wax)

I also bought a grit guard for my wash bucket, just to keep the dirt off the mit and scrubbing it back onto the truck.

GG-1010BL - The Grit Guard Insert - Black

My buddy was asking the other day how it was holding up so I sent him these shots of the hood (cell phone pics):

Last edited by 2000silverbullet; 10-03-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 10-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Yamaha0219
Junior User
I think silverbullet picked up on one of my favorites...Collinite IW845, its a sealant with great durabillity. For a black car/truck a lot of guys tend to prefer Blackfire Wet Diamond. But as others have said, the best thing to do is to get the scratches/marring compounded and polished out, then revise your wash methods as to avoid installing more swirls. If you're just looking for a temporary fix to hide them you should try a glaze or a product like Autoglym SRP (super resin polish).

Old 10-03-2011, 01:56 PM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trophy_23
Any one ever tried Collinite Wax? We use it on the boat, but many guys around the local car clubs use it on their vehicles. I haven't had the truck long enough to try it yet.
Works good on a truck and lasts a long time too.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:53 PM
RickBetterley
Senior User
I haven't used Collinite, but its supposed to work well on the inside of wheels (where track goobers get stuck).
Sounds like a good choice for the painted finish if its that tough.
I use Klasse All-in-One (I don't normally use cleaner/waxes, but this is different) on the truck and my race car; very long lasting (like 6 months), which I appreciate, because the truck is a lot of work to polish.
If you get nuts about the finish, apply P21S over the Klasse, which gets a deeper, richer shine, but that requires a reapplication of the P21S every 60 days, and even I don't want to spend that much time polishing (waxing) my truck.
Earlier comments about the importance of preparing the finish first (polish) are right on. Use a Porter Cable or similar dual action polisher and the right polish to get the surface right first.
Hope this helps; black paint sure does show everything, but the results can be stunning.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:26 PM
cyclone cj
New User
Originally Posted by Rose Clifford
do you do detailing for work? trying every product line must have taken a while
Yes, through the years I have tried products from 3M, Presta, Meguiars, Mothers, and so on. From detailing to complete paint jobs, I have had a lot of fun trying out quite a few. Thanks for asking!

Quick Reply: Best wax?