1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Carpet Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:21 AM
jasper1950
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carpet Advice

Ok, so I am at the point that I am going to start working on my interior. I have put a modern seat in the my F1. Where should I get a carpet kit from. I see a lot for sale but who have you had success with. Who has the easiest install/best looking? Thanks in advance

Old 10-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Great question... I'm looking forward to hearing the answer to this question... And pics please!

Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Wayne S
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am watching this too.I have contacted ACC and they sent me some samples of their cut pile carpet.Seemed pretty nice but I would like to see a carpet kit installed.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 AM
dawolverine
Senior User
I just got a roll of carpet direct from a supplier and fitted it myself. works out much cheaper than a kit. Its not quite a perfect fit, but its not bad either.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:17 PM
jasper1950
Cross-Country
So what do you do to keep the ends from fraying? I am hoping that the kit will have a border on it.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I got mine from ACC. A couple of issues.
One is there are no cutouts for the master cyl or battery access.
The second is they are expensive.
Mine was easy to install and looks good. All the edged are bound and the carpet goes from the toe board full across the cab and up the rear wall several inches. I can measure how far is your interested. I have a seat out of a 2001 F150 and will have to carpet the seat risers I made. I bought extra carpet material to do that and also the rear cab wall. I just installed it yesterday on the floor and am not totally finished and have no pictures but will get some Monday. I also bouight their matching floor mats.
Hope this helps.
Larry

Old 10-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
Larry I will be looking forward to your carpet installed pics.
Pretty sure I will be using ACC carpet.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hey guys, just for all yall out there concerned we use ACC carpets in alot of vehicles that we put together. ACC is pretty good quality for the money. Its not OEM but it dont miss it by too much. We use them as replacements in latemodel vehicles when we replace them and we use them in older vehicles too unless the customers want some really custom. I used Mercede's carpet in my '56 this time around, its quite a bit more money but its very nice carpet. I really like the Mercedes carpet but its about $100 per yard since my floor is almost completely flat its not much of a problem making it fit but when there is a big tunnel we have to make a cut and sewn type carpet. I hope this helps.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Here is a link to pics of my truck. At the bottom are some pics of the ACC carpet installed. Too much effort to post pictures on this site. As you can see it fits well.
https://picasaweb.google.com/junkman346/1955Ford

Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM
brain75
Elder User
I bought from ACC (through LMC) as well, and while it is nice carpet I am not impressed with 2 facts:
color 1 gunmetal grey is not gunmetal grey - I had to go to artic grey for the seat cover to get close, there is no match - my seatbelts are "gunmetal grey" as well but don't match either .
customization I was naively thinking that it had all the cutouts done and it was drop in - hey you pay big bucks for it, they have a template it should be drop in right.... nope not one cut out.

If they aren't going to do the cutouts, then to me it is just a roll of "near the right length" carpet (mine is so long I have 9" sticking behind the gas tank)...

Save your money, it's not custom fit, there hasn't been a ton of labor put in to make it right. Just buy some marine carpet (has the waterproof backing) and cut it yourself. If you have access to scrap spare might get a feel for the pedal cutouts once in scrap... there's some fiddly little irritating cussing spots there.

[edit] FYI, It comes with ONE dimmer switch grommet - to do the pedals I read on this forum the best thing is to use dimmer grommets on the pedals, so be sure to order 2 extra grommets (cj pony parts has em for $4.50 ea)

Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Here is a couple of larryb346 pics

Attached Images    
Old 10-04-2011, 10:35 AM
brain75
Elder User
FYI, the ACC kit (for 1948) did have extra forming (but was not cut and sewn) for the 2 lateral raised ridges (the one behind the rear seat leg, and the ridge the front seat leg sits on), so I had some landmarks to start from but what I ended up doing was creating a complete template just like I was laying vinyl floor in a house... not done yet, but so far things are lining up making sense. Not the first time my construction experience has helped me solve a problem in the auto world :O

Making the Template

After you make the first cut, or apply any glue the carpet is non-returnable - so don't screw it up.... installation voids the warranty. (reminds me of some other things where "use" voids the warranty)

Old 10-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brain75
I bought from ACC (through LMC) as well, and while it is nice carpet I am not impressed with 2 facts:
color 1 gunmetal grey is not gunmetal grey - I had to go to artic grey for the seat cover to get close, there is no match - my seatbelts are "gunmetal grey" as well but don't match either .
customization I was naively thinking that it had all the cutouts done and it was drop in - hey you pay big bucks for it, they have a template it should be drop in right.... nope not one cut out.

If they aren't going to do the cutouts, then to me it is just a roll of "near the right length" carpet (mine is so long I have 9" sticking behind the gas tank)...

Save your money, it's not custom fit, there hasn't been a ton of labor put in to make it right. Just buy some marine carpet (has the waterproof backing) and cut it yourself. If you have access to scrap spare might get a feel for the pedal cutouts once in scrap... there's some fiddly little irritating cussing spots there.

[edit] FYI, It comes with ONE dimmer switch grommet - to do the pedals I read on this forum the best thing is to use dimmer grommets on the pedals, so be sure to order 2 extra grommets (cj pony parts has em for $4.50 ea)

I will tell you from many years experience in the autotrim business you do not want them to have the holes already cut. They NEVER are in the right place and thats for a stock vehicle. You are right on a basicly stock vehicle you can just get roll goods and make your own. As a tip you can make you a pattern if you're working with expensive carpet, you can get some masking paper and tape it all together and lay it in there and cut it out and make "Keyhole" cutouts for your pedals if they come up through the floor and you are goin to run them all the way up to the firewall. Or you can take the pedals off and slide the paper down around it to make it fit really tight. The better job you do on your pattern the better the carpet will fit. Mid Fifties makes aluminum trim rings to go around the clutch and brake pedals. You can remove the gas pedal and replace the screws with longer bolts so you can mark the holes and then bolt the hinge on top of the carpet and then "Fuzz" the carpet around the gas pedal hinge. Once you get all this done you can mark the outer edges and the front edge at the firewall and take it to a trim shop or carpet shop and have binding sewn to the edges. As stated before the time spent with making the pattern of the carpet will pay off BIG time. Keep taping more pieces to it if you cut off too much.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:15 PM
brain75
Elder User
I do have to concur with spend some serious quality time on the template. All the vinyl flooring I have installed it was my own house in the laundry room where I got rushed and have never been happy with the job I did. If you get tired don't push through to the finish line, set it aside and come back fresh... the pattern is all disposable construction paper that ends up trash, but spend some serious QC time on it.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
I am not sure if you bought carpet from LMC you got the same carpet you would if you ordered fro, ACC. They sent me 10 different swatches of gray after I had narrowed it down to the ten . I don't remember how many total grays they had to choose from. If you ordered from LMC you might not have had that many choices of colors. Of course this was also on my 55

Quick Reply: Carpet Advice