1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

what aftermarket complete bed did you go with ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 09:05 PM
HEAVY100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what aftermarket complete bed did you go with ?

I wanted to see what aftermarket complete bed did you go with ? custom or stock , please post pics .

Old 09-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
I'm at work and can't post a pic right now but I went with the bed sold by Hot Rod's classic truck parts with a double wall smooth tailgate and teardrops. They even delivered it to the truck show in Pigeon Forge last year saving me crating and shipping charges. This is a bed for a 53. Very nice bed and great costumer service.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:59 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I went with MidWest Early Ford's bed kit. I'm quite happy with it. They travel to a lot of shows/swap meets. I saved a bundle picking it up at a swap meet. Hot Rod's is about the same quality and price and he travels to a lot of shows. I just didn't like how he was trying to pressure me into buying his over MWEF's.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:03 PM
HEAVY100
Senior User
Originally Posted by carnut122
I went with MidWest Early Ford's bed kit. I'm quite happy with it. They travel to a lot of shows/swap meets. I saved a bundle picking it up at a swap meet. Hot Rod's is about the same quality and price and he travels to a lot of shows. I just didn't like how he was trying to pressure me into buying his over MWEF's.
What's mwef ?

Old 09-30-2011, 11:21 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HEAVY100
What's mwef ?
MidWest Early Ford.

I used one from northern classic trucks

Northern Classic Trucks - Reproduction parts for your antique Ford truck .

Sam

Old 10-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Wayne S
Elder User
Northern Classic for me too.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:00 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

two things to consider..

1. the NC bed, like many others, comes UNprimed.. be ready to do that ASAP..
because it was assembled unprimed, the joints between parts can collect water and will rust.

2. the bed front stock as open ends up on top of the sidewall rails.. some vendor provide and option to get closed points.. see the pic from the MF catalog attached. this is a tiny thing, but may be cleaner
NC does not provide this option.

Sam

Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2011, 07:15 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,183 Likes on 2,685 Posts
I haven't bought a bed but was at Pros Pick in Fergus Ontario and they were spraying epoxy primer on all thier bed parts and they looked top quality. One of the guys working there had a 53 with one of thier beds on his truck that looked great.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:32 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by 56panelford
I haven't bought a bed but was at Pros Pick in Fergus Ontario and they were spraying epoxy primer on all thier bed parts and they looked top quality. One of the guys working there had a 53 with one of thier beds on his truck that looked great.
yeh, they are the top of the line. quality, features and price

Sam

Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sdetweil
two things to consider..

1. the NC bed, like many others, comes UNprimed.. be ready to do that ASAP..
because it was assembled unprimed, the joints between parts can collect water and will rust.

2. the bed front stock as open ends up on top of the sidewall rails.. some vendor provide and option to get closed points.. see the pic from the MF catalog attached. this is a tiny thing, but may be cleaner
NC does not provide this option.

Sam
Good points. Mine was bare steel, had the open ends mentioned above, but it did have the stake pockets closed off.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:45 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by carnut122
Good points. Mine was bare steel, had the open ends mentioned above, but it did have the stake pockets closed off.
yes, mine had no stake pockets, and they eliminated the chain ears for me.. this last part required a little repair on my part.. they just didn't install them, but the tailgate was still cut, so that had to be closed. They also could not, NOT cut the top of the tailgate sides where the ears would stick out.. if so, they would have made the tailgate flange straight all the way up.. just a little cleaner lines.

I needed to put the wood on top of the side rails, so they provided the two side pieces without the routed outside edge..

very happy overall..

Sam

Old 10-01-2011, 11:16 AM
dawolverine
Senior User
I went with hot rods kit, with the polished extras and single wall tailgate. Very pleased with it.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:20 AM
dawolverine
Senior User
Comes as bare metal and I welded mine. The discolouration on the first few pictures is after the first coat of por 15 metal prep. I them etch primed, high build primed and topcoated.
The kit came very well packed in its crate, especially as i'm in the UK and it made it to me in perfect condition.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
I assume the other vendors offer this too, but Hot Rods will assemble and weld the bed together for you for a fee. I opted to do it myself. They have many options like no chains and no stake pockets. I'm sure all these beds are probably stamped at the same place. I think one of the vendors actually stamp their own out in Oklahoma but I can't remember which one. Look for the company that offers the best service and cheapest shipping if your not going to pick it up at a local show.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:14 PM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have bought parts from them but not a complete bed. Although I think some here have. I have been there and there are a helpful bunch of folks MAR-K Classic Truck Parts made in Oklahoma City, USA

Quick Reply: what aftermarket complete bed did you go with ?