6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

A little worried about doing a coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:20 PM
cmcowboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little worried about doing a coolant flush

Ok, so I have been reading alot about doing a coolant flush on my 06 with 75,000 miles on it. Not sure if it has even had it done before as I purchased it with around 50,000 miles on it.
The only reason I would like to do this is because over the summer towing my 12,000 lbs horse trailer it seemed like the fan engaged a little more often then last summer, plus like i said I dont know if it has had a flush ever.
But after reading alot I'm worried about doing more harm then good, and possibly clogging the oil cooler while doing the flush? Any thoughts on this, and no I have not got any gauges yet to moniter temps better so I have no base line numbers to go by. Thanks....

Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
Its definatly possible to flush and Clog the oil cooler

get some gauges go from there

scangauge is cheap and gets alot of gauges

do you have a coolant filter on it

Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Blakeb4988
Junior User
Maybe just change the coolant to new. I know that doesn't get all the old out, but most. You can also buy test strips that checks the dca level and freeze protection if that's your concern.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 PM
cmcowboy
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Its definatly possible to flush and Clog the oil cooler

get some gauges go from there

scangauge is cheap and gets alot of gauges

do you have a coolant filter on it
I know, thats what I'm worried about.

I will look into the scangauge, I then can get a good set of numbers to go by first, and while I'm doing the flush.

No I dont have a filter on it.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:45 PM
U.P. Builder
Senior User
I'm in the middle of a flush right now, same miles as you 75k. So far so good and my EOT temps have dropped after doing some back flushing. Still have to do VC-9 and final distilled flushes.

At the very least you should dump your coolant and do a distilled water flush and replace coolant, but imo doing a very thorough Restore and VC-9 flsuh will be worth it.

Couple things I'm really glad I did. #1 was to install Fumoto drain plugs #F-108N in the block drains. I pulled the starter to do the passengers side. Way worth it makes draining a snap and can do it right away without having to wait for it to cool. I also am pulling the lower rad hose by loosening the clamp and then knocking it off with a 2 x 4 so I don't get splashed. I'm using very hot water to fill so the truck is damn near up to temp after I start it. I didn't pull the thermostat.

Also I back flushed first thing before the Restore flush(I was waiting for my Fumoto valves to come in). Shot hot water through the heater core, radiator and most importantly the oil cooler. I used a turkey baster to shoot some restore directly in the oil cooler and let it sit for a couple hours. did that twice, backflushed the crap out of it and then filled with water and did a little run down the highway. Just doing that dropped my delta from 28* to 9*.

I'm still going to replace my oil cooler and do an egr delete but I'm almost at the point where I wouldn't need to. My thought though is that if I'm going to plug a cooler back up after the flush I'd rather it be the old one.

Cheers and good luck.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:13 PM
kidoo
Elder User
Does the back flush eliminate the possibilities to plug the cooler? I did not read the backflush procedure yet, but I also was tempted to do VC9.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:37 AM
cmcowboy
Senior User
Originally Posted by U.P. Builder
I'm in the middle of a flush right now, same miles as you 75k. So far so good and my EOT temps have dropped after doing some back flushing. Still have to do VC-9 and final distilled flushes.

At the very least you should dump your coolant and do a distilled water flush and replace coolant, but imo doing a very thorough Restore and VC-9 flsuh will be worth it.

Couple things I'm really glad I did. #1 was to install Fumoto drain plugs #F-108N in the block drains. I pulled the starter to do the passengers side. Way worth it makes draining a snap and can do it right away without having to wait for it to cool. I also am pulling the lower rad hose by loosening the clamp and then knocking it off with a 2 x 4 so I don't get splashed. I'm using very hot water to fill so the truck is damn near up to temp after I start it. I didn't pull the thermostat.

Also I back flushed first thing before the Restore flush(I was waiting for my Fumoto valves to come in). Shot hot water through the heater core, radiator and most importantly the oil cooler. I used a turkey baster to shoot some restore directly in the oil cooler and let it sit for a couple hours. did that twice, backflushed the crap out of it and then filled with water and did a little run down the highway. Just doing that dropped my delta from 28* to 9*.

I'm still going to replace my oil cooler and do an egr delete but I'm almost at the point where I wouldn't need to. My thought though is that if I'm going to plug a cooler back up after the flush I'd rather it be the old one.

Cheers and good luck.
Thank you U.P.

I'm for sure going to do a flush soon. But first my list of things in order.

1. Get something to read my temp numbers so I have a baseline to go by. What do you think of the scangauge? Or any other affordable devices.

2. Need to get me some Fumoto drain plugs ordered for sure, have been burnt by coolant before (no fun)

3. Get all the stuff to do the flush with water/ VC-9/ Coolant etc.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 AM
U.P. Builder
Senior User
Originally Posted by cmcowboy
Thank you U.P.

I'm for sure going to do a flush soon. But first my list of things in order.

1. Get something to read my temp numbers so I have a baseline to go by. What do you think of the scangauge? Or any other affordable devices.

2. Need to get me some Fumoto drain plugs ordered for sure, have been burnt by coolant before (no fun)

3. Get all the stuff to do the flush with water/ VC-9/ Coolant etc.
The Scan gauge II is great. I just got mine a few weeks ago and it's the reason I'm flushing and installing new oil cooler and egr delete. It revealed a 28* delta, had I not known bad things could've happened. Hopefully yours is not as far gone as mine.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
Edge Insight for monitoring
Fumoto block drain valves
Restore for 2 hours @ 65 MPH with cardboard covering the grill (if under 60degrees F ambient)
Restore Plus for 2 hours @ 65 MPH with cardboard covering the grill (if under 60degrees F ambient)
Backfush the oil cooler from your filtered hot water tank
Backflush the heater core from your filtered hot water tank
Backflush the radiator from your filtered hot water tank
24 Gallons of distilled water
ELC coolant
Took me 2 full days but goy my 30 degree spread down to 9 now, The love you put into it is the love your gonna get out of it. Good Luck!