Sponsored by: Moser

Stainless steel grille shells

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Goliath1975
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordfreek!
I've been researching the manufacturer who makes it and it seems they make quality auto body panels and their stuff is listed on a lot of parts websites, and some of the reviews on some of their other products (no reviews for the grille shells) are very good, although what numberdummy said about the cost comparison between the 2 metals (stainless and aluminum) does make sense.

.........but then again, I would only be out 75 bucks, not 500, if it turns out to be garbage, I would make something cool out of it to hang on the wall in the garage. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I like the idea of having an old Ford grille hanging on the wall

Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
Here's a cherry 78/79 oem grille (you'd have to call for pricing).

7th truck down, on the left.
Flashback F100's - New Arrivals*of* Whole or Parts Trucks****

EDIT: just read that all the sheet metal on the truck is sold, not sure if that includes the grille or not.
Wow he hasn`t updated his site in a while. That truck your talking about has been all sold and parted out for over a year. I actually have its bed and tailgate.

Not that I bought the grille but I think its was $150 because the front clip was $700, $300 for the hood and $250 for the fenders.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:38 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 650
Wow he hasn`t updated his site in a while. That truck your talking about has been all sold and parted out for over a year. I actually have its bed and tailgate.

Not that I bought the grille but I think its was $150 because the front clip was $700, $300 for the hood and $250 for the fenders.

Lol, small world, $150 is a helluva decent price for that grille, considering DC wants $550 when/if they have the correct aluminum to press them out.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
What about the LMC chrome ones? Any experience with those yet?

If it means anything I bought a cheapo from JC Whitney around 97 or so and it wasn't half bad. It looked alright at least and was presentable. I still have it and will likely hang it up on the garage wall. Even sitting on the side of the garage for 8+ years it still looks ok for wear. Not so much for the bolt holes I mangled removing it!

Josh

Old 09-30-2011, 10:29 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
It looked alright at least and was presentable. I still have it and will likely hang it up on the garage wall.
I bet it would make an awesome wall adornment in ones man cave.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Bullitt390

I bet it would make an awesome wall adornment in ones man cave.
I was reluctant to admit it in the previous post, but I have to confess I actually just took that JC Whitney grille to work yesterday to throw into the aluminum scrap bin we keep. The side of my garage has started looking like Sanford & Son and I have started cleaning crap up, either scrapping it, Craigslist or eBay. The grille I didn't even try to sell as the mounting holes got jacked up removing it.

But as the day wore on at work I just couldn't do it, couldn't toss it into the scrap bin so I hung it up above my welding station and it looked pretty cool, so yeah... I'll be bringing it back home to hang up in the garage with some extra grille inserts I have.

Josh

Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
But as the day wore on at work I just couldn't do it, couldn't toss it into the scrap bin so I hung it up above my welding station and it looked pretty cool, so yeah... I'll be bringing it back home to hang up in the garage with some extra grille inserts I have.

You have the addiction, why'd you ever sell your dent anyway, that thing was badass!!

sorry for the hijack OP, i'll check out.....

Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Bullitt390

You have the addiction, why'd you ever sell your dent anyway, that thing was badass!!

sorry for the hijack OP, i'll check out.....
$4 a gallon gas! LOL LongTravelHighboy here on the forums bought it.

Josh

Old 10-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, that is rediculously cheap no matter what its made from. Stainless is A LOT tougher than aluminum so if it really is stainless (I doubt it is), its probably actually pretty tough, in my opinion.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:36 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm interested to see how the grill looks and feels. Please post your results with pictures if you can. Has anyone else used the "Off Brands" grill shells?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Fordfreek!
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blown 331
Wow, that is rediculously cheap no matter what its made from. Stainless is A LOT tougher than aluminum so if it really is stainless (I doubt it is), its probably actually pretty tough, in my opinion.
Well I have seen the same product (same brand and all) on other sites as well so I'm kinda hopeful that it is stainless but I also have it in the back of my mind that it isn't and I'm just wishfully thinking it is . Either way, I had to try it.

Originally Posted by NBC-Steve
I'm interested to see how the grill looks and feels. Please post your results with pictures if you can. Has anyone else used the "Off Brands" grill shells?
I plan on posting pictures and letting everybody know. They shipped it very quickly, I had my tracking number for Fed-Ex the next day, so that's a little promising for an off brand product from an online store I have never bought from or heard of. I'm really hoping it's at least a semi-decent product, but either way at least my garage will be redecorated

Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Fordfreek!
Senior User
According to my tracking number I will get this tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM
bdevr
Senior User
VERY VERY interested to see how this turns out. Can't wait to hear your opinions

Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Fordfreek!
Senior User
So it turns out there is an error in their catalog and it is the grille only, no shell, even though the description clearly states "Stainless steel shell and insert" so when the Fed-Ex man came today, I was disappointed when I got the package and it was just the insert. I am getting my money refunded, shipping and all for their error.

Lesson learned guys.

Well now at least I can buy an HVLP spray gun for my first paintjob on the dent with the money from that.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 PM
kbrenner536
Senior User
Bummer! I was looking forward to it being a decent shell for the price! Haha. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Stainless steel grille shells