Power sliding rear window stuck open

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:25 AM
frisbeeguy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power sliding rear window stuck open

Hi y'all,
I've done a search but couldn't find any help... We have a "new" 2010 F150 with factory sunroof & power sliding rear window.

Well like the post title says, it'll open but not close.

I took apart the switch & cleaned the contacts - it all looks and fits together as it should. I went ahead and removed the cables controlling the window slider frame to close it.

I'm guessing the motor is somewhere behind the back seats?

Any pointers towards a solution would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You and truck -----> dealer (3 yr/36k mile warranty?).

Or you ----> Helminc.com to buy a shop manual.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:29 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's one of the reasons I don't want a rear sliding window. They just aren't worth the trouble.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 AM
frisbeeguy
Junior User
Originally Posted by shotgunz
You and truck -----> dealer (3 yr/36k mile warranty?).

Or you ----> Helminc.com to buy a shop manual.
lol - I'm not sure it's warrantied. Might just have powertrain warranty. The wife was suppose to confirm that but hasn't yet.

I told the wife last night I wanted to get a manual for it... we just got the truck and I didn't think I'd need one so fast.

Just thought I'd toss the question out there in case someone has experienced the same problem & had a solution already.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:42 AM
frisbeeguy
Junior User
Originally Posted by shortride
That's one of the reasons I don't want a rear sliding window. They just aren't worth the trouble.
Agreed. I wouldn't buy this option.

This was the only vehicle she looked at before buying it.

It is a very nice truck except for one (major) thing... what's with the transmission hesitation / clunk into gear when starting from a full stop?

(my daughter's F150 does the same thing)

Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy
lol - I'm not sure it's warrantied. Might just have powertrain warranty. The wife was suppose to confirm that but hasn't yet.

I told the wife last night I wanted to get a manual for it... we just got the truck and I didn't think I'd need one so fast.

Just thought I'd toss the question out there in case someone has experienced the same problem & had a solution already.

Tell your wife to read the warranty guide. Bumper to bumper coverage is 3 yr/36k miles.

Powertrain is 5 yr/60k miles.

If you're under 36k miles, you are only risking voiding your warranty claim trying to fix it yourself.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:58 AM
frisbeeguy
Junior User
Will look at it (warranty details)- thanks!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
A couple of last minute thoughts. Is it possible there may be a fuse just for the rear sliding window? Anything with an electric motor will generally pull more current. Hence the possible need for a stand alone fuse.

Since you are already familiar with the switch, check to see if there is current to it. I would imagine the switch only has voltage with the ignition on. If there is current to the switch, check to see if there is current to the motor with the switch activated. If there's current to the motor connector then it may be that the motor is burnt out.

What's with the transmission hesitation / clunk into gear when starting from a full stop?
I think there is a service bulletin to correct the transmission issue.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
broncobran68
Senior User
With the truck off the dome light should dim a bit when you hit the switch if the motor is getting power but jammed. Did you try helping the window close with your hand?

I love my power slider. Great for tossing empty sodas out into the bed or yelling at the dogs. Or to see my spotter backing a trailer at night.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:24 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
I hope you're not one of those guys that drives down the road with empty cans in the bed.

If you are, ever wonder where they end up (after they hit my windshield)?

If you aren't, please excuse the interruption and thread hijacking.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 PM
broncobran68
Senior User
[QUOTE=shotgunz;10861756]I hope you're not one of those guys that drives down the road with empty cans in the bed.

If you are, ever wonder where they end up (after they hit my windshield)?

If you aren't, please excuse the interruption and thread hijacking.[/

Nah they end up in the trash. I just meant when I'm putting around from a trailhead or fishing hole back to camp. All low speed dirt road stuff. They're actually barley sodas but I figured I'd get a lecture from the safety police so I left that out. Looks like you're plenty far away though.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
It's all good.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:09 AM
frisbeeguy
Junior User
Originally Posted by shortride
A couple of last minute thoughts. Is it possible there may be a fuse just for the rear sliding window? Anything with an electric motor will generally pull more current. Hence the possible need for a stand alone fuse.

Since you are already familiar with the switch, check to see if there is current to it. I would imagine the switch only has voltage with the ignition on. If there is current to the switch, check to see if there is current to the motor with the switch activated. If there's current to the motor connector then it may be that the motor is burnt out.

I think there is a service bulletin to correct the transmission issue.
I'm pretty sure it's not a fuse... opens just fine. I did attempt to tap / bang / pull closed but it's not jammed - it feels locked in place. My next step is (would be) as you suggested - check for power at the motor. I'll wait for a dealer check before doing anything.

Appreciate the service bulletin notification, I'll have a look for it before taking it in.

lol on the thread drift - I wonder what she'll say when I take a shot... I prefer bottles myself!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
I'm pretty sure it's not a fuse... opens just fine. I did attempt to tap / bang / pull closed but it's not jammed - it feels locked in place. My next step is (would be) as you suggested - check for power at the motor. I'll wait for a dealer check before doing anything.

Appreciate the service bulletin notification, I'll have a look for it before taking it in.

lol on the thread drift - I wonder what she'll say when I take a shot... I prefer bottles myself!
There are to separate operations the motor performs (open/close), the motor has to be able to reverse itself and each operation may have it's own relay. Motors that are designed to rotate in both directions has to have the ability to reverse the polarity. If it opens ok there may be a relay that's out. Therefore preventing the motor to close. There also could be something going on with the cable.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I hear the reasons "oh they always break", I dont understand why you WOULDNT want the power sliding rear window. These things are great for extra air circulation on a nice day. This is my second truck with this option and I love it.

Quick Reply: Power sliding rear window stuck open