Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Explorer 2004 dome lights not turn off

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:41 AM
Explorer 2004 Shultz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Explorer 2004 dome lights not turn off

Hi real enthusiasts of Ford! There is dome lights, mirror lights does not turn off when door is closed, no open doors indicated. remote is in lock command. Try WD40 to door lock. No results. Lights turn of after several minutes, look like power saver turn it off. When you start up - lights turn off.
May be it have a relations - delayed accessories also stop work.
Did any body have the experience to solve this little issue?

Last edited by Explorer 2004 Shultz; 09-23-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: adding new information
Old 09-23-2011, 06:49 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The first thing to check is the instrumentation dimmer switch to make sure it is not turned all the way up past the detent. If it is, that is the setting to turn on the interior lights. I don't recall if that will also turn on the puddle lights under the mirrors or not. If you really are not getting a "Door ajar" or "Liftgate ajar" indication in the Information Center, then it almost has to be either the dimmer switch or a problem with the circuit.

Out of curiosity, have you confirmed that you get a door ajar indication when a door is opened while the vehicle is running?

-Rod

Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 AM
Explorer 2004 Shultz
New User
Originally Posted by shorod
Welcome to the forum!

The first thing to check is the instrumentation dimmer switch to make sure it is not turned all the way up past the detent. If it is, that is the setting to turn on the interior lights. I don't recall if that will also turn on the puddle lights under the mirrors or not. If you really are not getting a "Door ajar" or "Liftgate ajar" indication in the Information Center, then it almost has to be either the dimmer switch or a problem with the circuit.

Out of curiosity, have you confirmed that you get a door ajar indication when a door is opened while the vehicle is running?

-Rod
Hi Rod! I am very appreciated for you quick reply. I see many reply from you about this matter.
If you means switch on the left side of the steering wheel - it is not in "turn all". This switch I use when I left the car and don't want lights is on and everybody see what lay in my car. Door ajar indicated only if door is open, when car is runing or stay. I also have idea that dimming relay is not working. I will try to find delay relay location.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Explorer 2004 Shultz
This switch I use when I left the car and don't want lights is on and everybody see what lay in my car.
Are you saying if you turn this switch the dome lights go out? If so, I think that's your problem. The detent position you feel when rolling the switch all the way up is actually the switch to turn the interior dome lights on. Rolling the switch down from that detent controls the level of illumination for the instrument panel lights (gauges, radio buttons, etc.). If that switch works to turn the interior lights out, and you do not get a door ajar light except when a door is open, it sounds like everything is working the way it was designed.

If you have the owner's manual, see the section on "Panel Dimmer Control" in the "Lights" chapter. It should be around page 38. If you don't have a copy you can download one for free here.

-Rod

Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Explorer 2004 Shultz
New User
Hi Rod!

some times ago, when I left my car, I push lock on my remote and all lights was turn off slowly in 1-2 seconds. Now lights turn off only after 5-10 minutes. I use switch only if car stay for example in the street in night time. When I drive I switch it from detent position to free for regulating of gauge lights.
Accessory was not delayed and it was turn off immediately, when I turn key off.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:59 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Right, the detent position is the position to turn the dome lights on. You want to leave the dimmer dial in the gauge illumination ("free") position, NOT the detent. Turning it to the detent position is the reason the dome lights are staying on.

-Rod

Old 09-28-2011, 06:00 AM
Explorer 2004 Shultz
New User
Hi Rod , you are right - if switch stay in high detent position - it will turn all lights on. I was talk about down detent position, when all lights was turn off. In middle position - when I left my car and lock it - lights stay on. But it must go off, when I locked by remote.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Ahhh, now I'm following you! I never knew there was a down detent position to turn off the dome lights. I just walked out to my Aviator and checked, you're right. That will come in handy when unloading the truck at camp sites....

The odd part about the whole situation is since the down detent position works, the interior light relay is working as well. The interior light detents control the interior light relay via a microprocessor in the Instrument Cluster. Apparently that microprocessor is getting a signal to activate the interior light relay unless in the down detent position. It seems like it must be detecting either an open door, open liftgate, or open liftgate glass, but I would expect with the key on that you'd get a corresponding indication in the dot matrix display in the instrument cluster. You may need to find someone with a professional scan tool that can access the instrument cluster system and see if it is actually reporting all doors closed.

If you're comfortable reading wiring diagrams, let me know and I can provide you with the diagrams for the interior lights.

-Rod

Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Explorer 2004 Shultz
New User
Hi Rod!
I have wiring diagram and see that relay, which give + to dome lights receive the signal from microprocessor. But if you have please send it to me, may it not same. I can not find in it delay accessories relay scheme. Delay accessories also not work if door opened! Signal from door switch was go to the Vehicle Security Module microprocessor and than to Instrument cluster. Some times ago I can not lock doors from remote and I reopen and close door and than car locked. Looks like VSM not talk to Instrument Cluster that door is open, but Cluster think that is open, but not show as door ajar signal... UNfortunatelly, in my city there is no Ford dealer in duty, but I try to find old one. For checking cluster with diagnostic software.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:42 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
I can send the diagram to you, but I need an e-mail address to send it to. To reduce the chances you'll be spammed, I suggest you provide the e-mail address via Private Message rather than just listing it in this thread.

-Rod

Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Explorer 2004 Shultz
New User
Hi Rod!
Thank you for diagram. I have read wiring diagramm and see it. Try to find connections between Delay Accessories relay and Interior lights. If only door is opened delay accesories turn off and interior lights turn on. What will turn off the lights after 5-10 minute's. Battery saver relay must do it after 30 min (as per manual).

Old 12-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Tthrond76
New User
2004 Mercury Mountaineer dome light will not shut off.

Whenever I open the door or my 2004 Mercury Mountaineer the interior lights come on and will not shut off. Even when the door is closed the lights will be on and the indicator will say that a door is ajar. I am assuming that it is the driver's door it thinks is open because when the car is off and the keys are in, the alarm stays on saying that the keys are in even when the door is shut.
The only way that I can keep the lights off is to turn the dial all the way down.

Any help would be appreciated, this is drinving me nuts!!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:49 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
If you have access to a professional scan tool that can access the various systems on the Explorer, you can access the security module and identify which door sensor is remaining open. Otherwise it will be a bit of trial and error.

-Rod

Old 05-19-2015, 06:28 PM
Werwolf
New User
Dome lamps Staying on 2004 Explorer Cluster bad?

Hello Fellow Ford lovers. Today at Shop I experienced another of the same symptoms reported here and after tearing all 4 doors and tailgates apart to unconnect the switches manually because My fn20K $$ Snap On Scanner(s) would not communicate with security Mod. (Symptom = Door ajar and dome /puddle lamps on )
I noticed after getting into inst. cluster that it was changed out for a Junk Yard unit , as soon as it was unplugged the dome lamps went out without the relay and microprocessors power . Anyone seen a VIN mismatch cause dome lamp failure/fault or is it possible I have a Car Cluster (ie) was marked with Junk yard pen #47659 CAR . and theres a slight wiring mismatch?
Any help would be appreciated.
(Temp fix was to jumper at dimmer switch yellow wire to ground (aka) black in harness near switch conn.) gives manual control of dome lights, and retains dash illumination.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:18 AM
weross67
Senior User
I have learned the hard way in the last couple of years that the Instrument Panel from one truck of the same year and model to another can create problems you don't want to see. The thing I have learned to do is remove the parts I need from the Junkyard unit and install in the original unit. After 01 things really changed to include Smoke.

Quick Reply: Explorer 2004 dome lights not turn off