2002 EX Overland build - THE KRAKEN

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 09:43 PM
Cardboardcoop
5th Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 EX Overland build - THE KRAKEN

Hello fellow EX folks. I’m building out a 2002 V10 EX

I’m in progress and this is ultimately not just a bad *** rig but also a proof of concept for future builds.

you can follow the build @cooperskraken on IG and FB

Im taking out the third row seats as well as the smaller passenger side second row fold up seat. I’ll also be removing the rear side panels and replacing them with custom welded aluminum boxes for storage.

The rear bed of the EX will have a custom built storage utility bed slide that will house all the water, electrical, cooktop, sink and battery chargers.

I might be interested in adding an inverter as well as an on-demand hot water system. Still thinking about that.

if you’re interested in this build please follow along, ask questions and I’ll make sure to keep this thread going.

I am not a PRO, just a dude that likes to build and learn new skills.

The following 6 users liked this post by Cardboardcoop:
Antonm, Bently_Coop, jetkit, kcundieff, kostkafex, WE3ZS and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-16-2021, 10:02 AM
Antonm
Laughing Gas
Received 362 Likes on 234 Posts
Cool build idea. I’m planning an overland inspired style build for my Ex ( by overland inspired think like how mall crawler Jeeps are rock crawler inspired type thing)

Could you keep this thread updated periodically for those of us that don’t do Facebook or IG please?
​​​​​.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:07 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Will the fresh water tank be stationary or does it live on the slide out tray? Seems to me that stationary would be better as it would get a lot of weight off the slides at all times, both in and out. You would have to reroute the water outlet and fill ports to a fixed position on the side.
Since you already have a heat source onboard (under the hood) maybe a fresh water vs coolant heat exchanger could be your hot water supply with less equipment and electrical draw. Would obviously need to run the engine for a short bit to heat up for a shower. Will you have a propane tank onboard for cooking? Another option might be a small RV hot water heater, our TT has a dual heat (110 A/C & propane) that easily supports back to back showers for my wife and I with the water running for the entire shower, not on/off "Navy" showers. Not sure how small these RV HWHs come, maybe the ones in Class B van campers are small enough for your application.

What size tires are you running (nice looking EX!) and what gear ratio does it have? For rough off-road going, rock crawling, heavily loaded or towing deeper gears are really something to consider, my swap to deeper gears is the single best mod that I've done for my EX. The V-10 likes the effective 4.30-4.56 range for the best performance when working hard.

For what you are doing I think your aluminum welds look fine, what process are you using? I need to invest in a better TIG to allow me to start glueing aluminum together.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-16-2021, 12:28 PM
Cardboardcoop
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Will the fresh water tank be stationary or does it live on the slide out tray? Seems to me that stationary would be better as it would get a lot of weight off the slides at all times, both in and out. You would have to reroute the water outlet and fill ports to a fixed position on the side.
Since you already have a heat source onboard (under the hood) maybe a fresh water vs coolant heat exchanger could be your hot water supply with less equipment and electrical draw. Would obviously need to run the engine for a short bit to heat up for a shower. Will you have a propane tank onboard for cooking? Another option might be a small RV hot water heater, our TT has a dual heat (110 A/C & propane) that easily supports back to back showers for my wife and I with the water running for the entire shower, not on/off "Navy" showers. Not sure how small these RV HWHs come, maybe the ones in Class B van campers are small enough for your application.

What size tires are you running (nice looking EX!) and what gear ratio does it have? For rough off-road going, rock crawling, heavily loaded or towing deeper gears are really something to consider, my swap to deeper gears is the single best mod that I've done for my EX. The V-10 likes the effective 4.30-4.56 range for the best performance when working hard.

For what you are doing I think your aluminum welds look fine, what process are you using? I need to invest in a better TIG to allow me to start glueing aluminum together.
The utility sled will be stationary, bolted to the bed of the SUV. The water tank will be attached to the back end. Just behind the large drawers. I thought about using the spare tire area for the water storage however I like the idea that one could take an hour and pull the whole utility sled out if for what ever reason.

I did just order an on demand hot water heater for my Van conversion. Was thinking that might be a nice addition to the Kraken. That would live in the spare tire extra space. It’s a bit unnecessary, you could always heat water on the stove for dishes and bird baths.

I’m interested in the re gearing. Seems like that would help a lot in all kinds of situations.

I just learned to weld. I’m using an aluminum MIG as I don’t think I have the patience for TIG. I also wanted a system that could easily switch from aluminum to steel. Depending on what I’m building. I have plans for a small ladder and utility mounts along the side over the larger rear panel windows.

thanks for the interest!

Old 12-16-2021, 12:29 PM
Cardboardcoop
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Antonm
Cool build idea. I’m planning an overland inspired style build for my Ex ( by overland inspired think like how mall crawler Jeeps are rock crawler inspired type thing)

Could you keep this thread updated periodically for those of us that don’t do Facebook or IG please?
​​​​​.
absolutely, thanks for your interest!

Old 12-16-2021, 12:57 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Have you explored opening up the interior side of the rear barn doors? They are hollow and offer a couple more small but useful storage bays, a few owners here have done them over the years and there were a few Icelandic glacier tour rigs that had nice little bars fitted inside the rear lower doors.

And here's a cool how-to on a interior release for the rear hatch.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-tutorial.html

Old 12-16-2021, 01:00 PM
Cardboardcoop
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Have you explored opening up the interior side of the rear barn doors? They are hollow and offer a couple more small but useful storage bays, a few owners here have done them over the years and there were a few Icelandic glacier tour rigs that had nice little bars fitted inside the rear lower doors.
YES! What a great idea. I will for sure be doing something like that. Maybe a spice/coffee/olive oil section on one door and a bar on the other! Thanks buddy!

Old 12-16-2021, 01:30 PM
jetkit
5th Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Really nice, clean build. Congratulations.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:46 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Nice! Following along as someday I wouldn’t mind turning mine into more of an overland type rig. Mostly simple thoughts on my end though. Just enough for a bed and couple days “camping” in the wilderness to get away from the RV. I would strongly consider a propane on demand hot water heater for sure. There’s all types/sizes, so you could go just about ant direction with that. Fun stuff!

Old 12-16-2021, 08:54 PM
Cardboardcoop
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by EXSwap
Nice! Following along as someday I wouldn’t mind turning mine into more of an overland type rig. Mostly simple thoughts on my end though. Just enough for a bed and couple days “camping” in the wilderness to get away from the RV. I would strongly consider a propane on demand hot water heater for sure. There’s all types/sizes, so you could go just about ant direction with that. Fun stuff!
I live full time in my converted Ford transit and using the experience of what I like and don’t like has gone into this overland build. I’m really excited to see if I can cram all the same utilities I enjoy in my van into a small space in the back of an amazing beast like the excursion. I suppose that’s why I’m calling it the Kraken. I even had custom emblems made!

Old 12-17-2021, 08:13 PM
Cardboardcoop
5th Wheeling
Just got the new front bumper! Anyone have any pro tips for mounting this beast?!

Old 12-18-2021, 06:30 AM
Dweber85rc
Laughing Gas
Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Cardboardcoop
Just got the new front bumper! Anyone have any pro tips for mounting this beast?!

Get a couple of friends!

Old 12-18-2021, 11:31 AM
Antonm
Laughing Gas
Received 362 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Dweber85rc
Get a couple of friends!
Or use an engine hoist/ cherry picker.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:36 AM
Cardboardcoop
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Dweber85rc
Get a couple of friends!
But what if you don’t have any friends! 😭😭😭

I’ll answer that one, “then your issues a larger then a mounted bumper!” 😂

I’m thinking a few straps, a jack and some duct tape!

Old 12-18-2021, 09:15 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts
We put my armored rear bumper on with 2 friends, one on each end of it, and me putting in the bolts when they held it up. And it is a hammerhead.

Did you get the rear bumper as well?

Quick Reply: 2002 EX Overland build - THE KRAKEN