6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

rev-x or hot shots..

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 05:24 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by High Binder
the problem will continue to grow and grow as time goes on. Eventually the injector will have to be replaced.
Please point us to a data source to back up this statement. It's pretty safe to say all our injectors with fail and have to be replaced at some point.

I highly recommend Rev X if your injectors are suffering from stiction and you already tried the inductive flash fix. My injectors developed stiction at about ~ 85k miles and I currently have ~ 160k miles to date with all original injectors.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:51 AM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
High Binder... I have a question for you

Do you even know what ACTUALLY causes stiction??? Do you know that it can ALMOST ALWAYS be cured without replacing injectors OR using additives?? Of course, you would have to have the ability to disassemble and re-asssemble the injectors yourself. I do it often, fyi.
I happen to be a dealer for Rev-X and have been using it for more years than most everyone else. I dont try to sell it to the general public, I stock it for myself and friends/customers. When I tried it the first time I was shocked that it actually worked. I told my story on a couple forums about my experience with it and I was basically called an idiot. (this was WELL before I was a dealer) Funny thing about that is now most all of the name callers are using it and some have become dealers themselves.
I have yet to put Rev-X in a truck that the owner didnt report a very noticeable difference in cold starting, smoothness, and often makes the engine quieter.

Try not to knock things you dont understand or have experience with. It makes you look ignorant. Another thing, it costs about $70 the first time and $35 every other time. I dont usually use it every oil change. Every other is usually good. Again, jmho.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Well, I switche to Rotella t-6 from Motorcraft 15w30 about a thousand miles ago and at first thought it had made a noticeable difference but after a few days I believe it was just wishful thinking. My truck has been well maintained and FICM is a rock steady 48v. I use Diesel Kleen (grey bottle) as directed every tank. Only time the truck has ever thrown a code was when I unplugged the EGR connector out of curiosity (plugged it back in the next day). Aside from what I think is a little high EOT when towing on hills in hot weather, no other issues except started ok but ran like crap when cold. Rattled, shook, no power, hard late shifts, all the way to 170f ECT. Then ran good. I was cranking in the morning and walking away from it for 5-7 min so it would pull well enough to not get run over in traffic going to work in the mornings. As I posted earlier, RevX "fixed" it.
I would say I'm cautiously optimistic that this will last. I'm not gonna be a cheerleader for it and I haven't put the stickers on my truck (or even my tool box ) but we'll see how it goes. I have been reluctant to use products like this in the past as my few experiences with "mechanic in a can" haven't been good. Maybe this product is different.
Also, with a background in chemistry and an interest in mechanics, High Binder is far from ignorant on this subject.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:11 AM
matty169
Elder User
I guess i need to clarify.......

I didn't say he WAS ignorant. I said it makes you LOOK ignorant. See the difference? Anyone, myself included, who wants to say what does or doesn't work without having used said product is making an error. I am sure the man is quite intelligent, however, I am in these engines almost daily for the last several years. Just between 2 companies fleets that we service they have about 145-160 of these 6.0 trucks or vans. I know what works and what doesn't. I am not disemminating info based on the fact that I have a piece of paper hanging on the wall. As for having an interest in mechanics, well, most everyone on this site has an interest in mechanics. That doesn't really mean much based on some of the questions asked on this forum. I am pretty sure that if I put a truck in the middle of the lot, gave the person a lug wrench and a jack, 5 out of 10 would attempt to jack up the vehicle before breaking the lugs loose.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Didn't mean to annoy ya matty, Sorry about that. Just relating my experience so far. The lug nut example was pretty funny, I have been one of those guys before. I usuially do better now.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:03 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by matty169
Anyone, myself included, who wants to say what does or doesn't work without having used said product is making an error.

Matty, you and I went rounds on this about ~10 months ago and I'm surprised you have come back for more, but it's obvious that you forgot our 7+ page and 10+PM bout. If I would have known that you were coming back for more I would have saved your PMs. I, unlike you have no vested interest in 'your' product. I am a user and have admitted that it works but have also noted that the reason for it working is different than the advertised reason, never going farther in respect for Dan's company and my own non-compete agreements.

To recap:
First, you're a dealer for them and admitted that you didn't know what was in it. Instead you tried to tow the "62 ingredient" line and claimed it was patented (haha & who cares). I do know what's in it, I work with the same 'ingredients' every single day. It takes me a matter of minutes to run a very detailed analysis on anything from pond water to oil samples. I could pull a leaf off a tree and in a few minutes tell you what's in it.

Matty, while my specialty is in turbine systems, I have spent years designing injectors, and am a tribologist registered with the few tribological societies. You asked; "Do you even know what ACTUALLY causes stiction???" Yes, I do it's a problem I am well versed in (see below)

I've highly edited my posts about RevX and stiction out of respect for Dan and his product. I won't air his laundry as you've suggested I do in the past.

Now addressing why you chose to call me ignorant (layman version): Injectors + hot oil = varnish (this is not limited to injectors but for this example...) Varnish builds up inside an injector just as it does everywhere else in an engine, 6.0 injectors just so happen to be engineered in a way that makes them particularly susceptible to this phenomena. Varnish is incredibly hard to clean off even with a chemical additive because the chemicals that could/would clean varnish are "toxic" to desirable properties of engine oil. This is why you only run additives like MMO for a few hundred miles or other more nasty additives for as little as a few minutes which is not at all like the many thousands like you can run on RevX, so if you read between the lines... (RevX does not clean an injector and it has noting in it that could ever clean an injector)

Last edited by High Binder; 09-18-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Playing nice.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:35 PM
matty169
Elder User
First of all.....

You are kinda missing the point. I wouldnt consider myself a salesman. I dont actually sell it to the public. I use it in the shop and rarely even charge for it. I have sent it to several people for free to try. They continued using it, and I told them who to order it from. (not me) I dont make a dime on it by doing this.
Also, if you have access to chemicals that fix stiction why would you use someone elses product instead of using what you already have available to you in house?
And once again, I didnt call you ignorant. RE-read. And these injectors are NOT hard to fix for stiction if you want to take them apart. These injectors can be cleaned up and work perfectly if you want to take the time to do so. So long as the electrical side is good and they havent been run out of fuel or had excessive water run through them.
If you read your posts it seems to me and others that you downplay what Rev-X can help people with. My view is that it is easy to use and requires no disassembly.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:02 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Do you even know what ACTUALLY causes stiction??? Do you know that it can ALMOST ALWAYS be cured without replacing injectors OR using additives??
And these injectors are NOT hard to fix for stiction if you want to take them apart. These injectors can be cleaned up and work perfectly if you want to take the time to do so. .
(See above) Matty (now you're back-peddling) you came after me for calling RevX a Band-Aid and stating that eventually you will have to replace your injectors, but rebuilding an injector (as you said) is no different than putting in a new one (as I stated) in terms of stiction so apparently now you agree with me, that eventually you will have to replace your injectors (be they new or rebuilt) due to stiction (provided they don't grenade from something else first whihc is 99% of the time the case). This also goes to my statement about the potential negative returns (on a continuum of course) of using RevX vs. just replacing your injectors right off the bat.

Also, if you have access to chemicals that fix stiction why would you use someone elses product instead of using what you already have available to you in house? .
That would be stealing...

And once again, I didnt call you ignorant.
Yes you did: --->
Try not to knock things you dont understand or have experience with. It makes you look ignorant. .

Sorry to beat you up so badly but I really don't appreciate you calling me ignorant on a subject in which I am well versed and take great pride in.

Last edited by High Binder; 09-18-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: playing nice
Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM
matty169
Elder User
I think......

Looking ignorant by statements made and being ignorant are two different things. And for the record, we have not replaced a single injector due to stiction after using rev-x. My personal truck had three sticky objectors a couple years back. None stick now, even at -20 without being plugged in. And I don't work for Dan or rev-x anymore than you work for any of your suppliers.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:04 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Looking ignorant by statements made
So what was my ignorant statement?

Last edited by High Binder; 09-18-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: ~playing nice
Old 09-18-2011, 03:54 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was trying to stay out of this thread as long as I could due to my history and HSS in particular(although with HSS is was more along the lines of their other product Blue Diamond I believe it was).

Looking ignorant by statements made and being ignorant are two different things.
While I technically agree with that, I have to wonder what was the point of mentioning it in the first place? It serves nothing more then to confuse and inflame the issue, which is why I try my hardest not to say things like that. Matty169 you saw how that happened very easily in this thread alone.

And for the record, we have not replaced a single injector due to stiction after using rev-x. My personal truck had three sticky objectors a couple years back. None stick now, even at -20 without being plugged in.
This is where it is like my EGR Cooler argument. Your experience is a statistic of 1. I have known far more people that have had less then steller results from either Rev-X and/or HSS. I can count on one hand how many that didn't have to do anything drastic with their injectors after using either one (or in one case both) of those products.

And I don't work for Dan or rev-x anymore than you work for any of your suppliers.
Irrelevant as long as you bring other reasons for why you think the way that you do. The only time that something like this would be relevant is if you were being used as a logical appeal to authority. Cite the reasons why you believe the way that you do and something like that would be considered the ad hominem fallacy. Not to say that they wouldn't still do it and use it as a reason for not believe you, but that would be on them.

The only common thread that I can think of is that if you use these products in the early stages, you might have a good chance of them helping out. If it's too far gone, they won't work.

As far as the chemistry make up and all that. My chemistry background is in equine nutrition, not really going to help me much on this, so I just have the experience of people that I know. Would I use it? Nope. I don't use additives of any kind in any of my trucks at all. Don't plug my truck up either and in Plano and Nashville in the winter time I can see single digits. Not as bad as some of you yanks, but I would say cold enough that plugging it in would be a consideration for some.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How is this a mask ?
Hot Shot's Secret will fix this problem, even if the injector is at the point of not working. Hot Shot's Secret is a combination of detergents and dispersants that clean up the carbon and oxidation inside the injector.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:15 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zmann
How is this a mask ?

If that's the case, then how come it hasn't worked in every situation with people using it? Based on that quote that you have.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:38 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
The heck with either one...I used Sea Foam only once....that did the trick for me! And a WHOLE lot cheaper!!!

Old 09-18-2011, 06:25 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Hot Shot's Secret will fix this problem, even if the injector is at the point of not working. Hot Shot's Secret is a combination of detergents and dispersants that clean up the carbon and oxidation inside the injector.

Anyone have any idea what's in HSS? I've never touched it/tested it. Based on the above I'm guessing some sort of heavy dose sulfonate? HDEO already has a higher than normal dose of detergents and dispersants due to it's inherently dirty nature (soot/etc...) so I wonder what/why HSS has in it as it doesn't make much sense to just add more 'pack' to an already high level 'pack' oil (maybe why it doesn't work???). Anybody have a few ounces they could send me?

Quick Reply: rev-x or hot shots..